Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subauthing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Subauthing Reply with quote

Hey all, its been some time since I've been on here and even longer since I've last drove my thing. I have decided to take on a new task and over time adapt Subaru power to my thing. I have a 3 rib bus trans that will go into her as well as a V7 JDM Subaru engine and ECU.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still gathering parts and trying to figure out what trailing arms I want to use, how to adapt a speed sensor to communicate with the ECU, and other this and thats.

This is what she used to look like, but shes in a lot of pieces currently. Had her since 2001. I guess that's all for now. If anyone has done a Subaru swap in a Thing before I'd love to chat.

Cheers![/img]
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

I will be interested to see how this project progresses, especially your cooling system details.
For a speed sensor, maybe something like this would work:
(Here's a link to their photo)
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...sion-parts

This guy has 9 or 10 detailed videos that might be worth a look:

Link

They're installed in Type 2's, but lots of useful info.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Yippie! Another Thingaru! I've got a 2.5l with 5speedbox in my 73. I've stalled for a bit. How are you doing your radiator!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

The single cam is a tight fit in the engine bay. I had to trim some of the metal around the motor to clear the heads. Additionally I've got a 3" body lift, which is needed unless you want to cut into your rear firewall. The intake needs to be reversed(pointing to the rear of the car) or it will hit the firewall too. I've got some more pictures of the body on the car somewhere. I've got a long way to go still. Pretty much I bolted in the motor and transmission then had to move across country. Ive got to do some work to my Dune Buggy before I return to my Subaru project. If you have any questions, I'll help with what I can.
Good luck!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Well well well... I'm interested because I've considered a watercooled conversion in my Thing. I've got one watercooled Bus (see sig) but the Thing doesn't seem to lend itself to a radiator quite as well.

For a speed signal, here is another option. I originally installed one of these years ago to provide a speed signal for the VW Corrado (though the same as many many other VW systems) cruse control in my Bus, and later it was used to provide the TDI speed signal.

I've recently ordered a couple more off ebay to have one for my '73 Bus which I will eventually install cruise control in, and to have a spare.

Anyway, it is actually a GM part, but it installs between the speedometer cable and the speedo. It creates a speed signal for the computer(s). There are three hookups, + and - 12v, and the actual speed signal. Just cut the end off and hook up the wires.

GM 90148828 is the part number. They were available on ebay for significantly less than other sources.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Subie conversions are in my head as well..
I was very close to buying a SuperSubi late last year, but the time wasn't right.

I am not following why y'all say the Thing doesn't lend well to a radiator... We've got a nice almost vertical plane across the front, and a nice square wide trunk space behind it to allow for air flow...
I think removing the bottom well of the trunk, and shrouding the top of that area to direct the airflow downward and out the bottom.. And of course putting w grill of sorts in the front panel to allow airflow In to the rad...

I've seen a few watercooled Things with a Grill in the front panel.

Of course if you're trying to go stealth and not disturb the body, then that get a bit tougher. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Subie conversions are in my head as well..
I was very close to buying a SuperSubi late last year, but the time wasn't right.

I am not following why y'all say the Thing doesn't lend well to a radiator... We've got a nice almost vertical plane across the front, and a nice square wide trunk space behind it to allow for air flow...
I think removing the bottom well of the trunk, and shrouding the top of that area to direct the airflow downward and out the bottom.. And of course putting w grill of sorts in the front panel to allow airflow In to the rad...

I've seen a few watercooled Things with a Grill in the front panel.

Of course if you're trying to go stealth and not disturb the body, then that get a bit tougher. Wink

And therein lies the problem!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Bay guys run Dual radiators in the corners of their engine bays. That might be the right option with large fans.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Bay guys run Dual radiators in the corners of their engine bays. That might be the right option with large fans.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:

Well... I'm not sure that this setup actually ends up working well for very many of us.

I tried one radiator with a big fan and it didn't work, especially without the fan blowing continuously.

So I mounted it under the bus, like most watercooled Bay owners eventually end up doing.

Smile

There have been one or two examples of a perfectly-engineered engine compartment radiator system working (or so claimed, anyway) but it seems most of us watercooled Bay guys give up on that after a lot of trials and just mount it below.

A Thing, being smaller and lighter than a Bay, might generate less heat and have a better chance of this working.

Also, one could potentially build/alter the scoops to push air through the radiators much more easily without significantly changing the Thing's appearance.

I've thought about the space above/around the transmission as a place for a couple small radiators to potentially work.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

I'm partial to radiators on Things. Very Happy

Here's how I did mine- it's below the plane of the rear body lines, so it's pretty stealth. Then again, I had to cut out most of the package area for the tall Ecotec.

I started originally thinking something like this would work better:

And I was all dialed in to do a custom grill using a piece from a Rabbit MK2 if I remember right:

Anything is possible, just need to be creative. I wanted to minimize the visual cues of 250 hp, let the blower whine lead the way.

Hope that helps!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

More food for thought...
VW tried this:

More impossible engineering Shocked

The Rabbit grille looks interesting, or maybe something like an Iltis grille.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

I like the Iltis grill idea... Stamped metal is what I had in mind... And paint it body color, it wouldn't be very obvious.... I'm thinking vertical slots cut between the vertical ribs on the nose..... All painted body color..
*shrug*... Just where my ideas have gone.... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
I like the Iltis grill idea... Stamped metal is what I had in mind... And paint it body color, it wouldn't be very obvious.... I'm thinking vertical slots cut between the vertical ribs on the nose..... All painted body color..

Yes, I suppose that could look nice. I was thinking of the one I saw with a bunch of 1 inch holes drilled in the front; I didn't like that!

The rendering of one with a Rabbit grill... I didn't hate that either.

So when is someone going to get started on this?!?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

The Iltis grille was one idea as well. And as Joe mentions, it would be easy enough to just cut out between the ribs and add a painted mesh.

My issue was running the water lines. I didn't want them inside the car. I've seen it done well, running along the tunnel and wrapped in insulation, but that adds complexity- more air to burp, more leak points, etc. There might be enough room in the tunnel, if you're willing to perform surgery. Otherwise I have seen them running under the car, in line with the tunnel. I considered this too, using a piece of say 2x6 box tubing to run the lines inside. Ultimately I decided on simplicity. I'm hopeful it will stay cool.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
GI Joe wrote:

Yes, I suppose that could look nice. I was thinking of the one I saw with a bunch of 1 inch holes drilled in the front; I didn't like that!

The rendering of one with a Rabbit grill... I didn't hate that either.

So when is someone going to get started on this?!?

Working on finding a rabbit grill and playing with my spare nose panel.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Hello again all. I just got off the phone in regards to parts ordering for this project. It will go slow as time and money present themselves. Everything engine and transmission wise will go together nice and smooth. You are all correct that the radiator part will be a challenge without hacking the body and I personally havent fully thought it (cooling) all the way through. What I do know is I want to have it looking as "VW" as possible without it looking like a hack or swap. The wiring as well will be challenging but I have a complete wiring harness and ECU that match the Subaru engine that will be used, so almost everything should be on hand as far as key components go. The turbo location may be up in the air at the moment too, but time will tell.

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

ThingOw181 wrote:
The Iltis grille was one idea as well. And as Joe mentions, it would be easy enough to just cut out between the ribs and add a painted mesh.

My issue was running the water lines. I didn't want them inside the car. I've seen it done well, running along the tunnel and wrapped in insulation, but that adds complexity- more air to burp, more leak points, etc. There might be enough room in the tunnel, if you're willing to perform surgery. Otherwise I have seen them running under the car, in line with the tunnel. I considered this too, using a piece of say 2x6 box tubing to run the lines inside. Ultimately I decided on simplicity. I'm hopeful it will stay cool.

So which option did you consider to be the simplest?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

I went with the rear radiator. With the Ecotec inlet/outlet that worked perfect with the Jeep Cherokee radiator I am using. I'm going to enclose it all but I'm still hopeful it should stay cool.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subauthing Reply with quote

Well I think we all would certainly appreciate some pics!!

Is your radiator more or less in the place of the engine compartment lid?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: