Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking motor.

Turbos are addictive! Don't be fooled that they are a load more work as they arnt in my experience.

Needs a new chargecooler but this one works.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if turbo isn't for you then you have this lovely option. Kits can be custom made for the application too.

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/models.php?id=6

Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Heat management! Reply with quote

I bought a roll of heat shield/sound deadening material from ez cool
http://www.lobucrod.com/ (thanks W1K1) It Came in a 4 foot by 10 foot roll for $33.50, and was super easy to handle and cut. It's supposed to stop 90 something percent of heat transfer and a great deal of noise:

I framed out my box and glued the material around the 2x4's to help with the sealing:

I ended up putting all the stuff on the inside so I can carpet the outside later:

Next I laid some down in trunk to soften where the wood will sit and also to make it easier to seal:

I put hinges on this part so I can easily get to the motor. I also sealed the mating surfaces with high temp silicone. I need to add some rubber to seal the hatch when closed. As well as something to catch the original hook that holds it open:

I had so much material left I decided to cover the top too. Can't be too cool or quiet right? I just need a little more to finish off the entire compartment:

I'm pretty happy with it. I still may carpet the whole thing, but this doesn't look too bad the way it is. I'll let you know how well it works at keeping the heat out of my car and deadening the sound

Last edited by Bliss13 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai4130 wrote:
Nice looking motor.

Turbos are addictive! Don't be fooled that they are a load more work as they arnt in my experience.

Needs a new chargecooler but this one works.

I have just about everything I need to go turbo, except for the turbo itself. Trying to figure out the mounting location for the intercooler
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a late car so not sure if the engine bay is identical, I had to trim the metal work above the left hand cylinder head to make room for the stock turbo location. Seen plenty of people relocate the turbo though and you may even get away with fitting a stock turbo manifold but 180degrees around. However the area I trimmed is not structural ( both me and my car are way to far gone to ever think about going back to aircooled )

Also I have rotated my Inlet manifold and moved the alternator to the AC pump location to make things easier with my chargecooler. Ditch the idea of going with an intercooler as there just isn't enough airflow out back to make them efficient or worth the effort. If your not going mental with your power expectations then you'll be able to use a Subaru legacy charge cooler set up.

Your engine hatch is pretty neat, it's not a nice experience running the engine effectively in the cab with you, try it with a dump valve Smile
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai4130 wrote:
Mines a late car so not sure if the engine bay is identical, I had to trim the metal work above the left hand cylinder head to make room for the stock turbo location. Seen plenty of people relocate the turbo though and you may even get away with fitting a stock turbo manifold but 180degrees around. However the area I trimmed is not structural ( both me and my car are way to far gone to ever think about going back to aircooled )

Also I have rotated my Inlet manifold and moved the alternator to the AC pump location to make things easier with my chargecooler. Ditch the idea of going with an intercooler as there just isn't enough airflow out back to make them efficient or worth the effort. If your not going mental with your power expectations then you'll be able to use a Subaru legacy charge cooler set up.

Your engine hatch is pretty neat, it's not a nice experience running the engine effectively in the cab with you, try it with a dump valve Smile

Thanks for the info. I've never even heard of a charge cooler. I will need to read up on it. I'm glad it's a stock part though. It's much, much cheaper doing this with Legacy parts.
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...what happened?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609495
TxPunisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Heat management! Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:

I'm pretty happy with it. I still may carpet the whole thing, but this doesn't look too bad the way it is. I'll let you know how well it works at keeping the heat out of my car and deadening the sound

Bliss, any update on how well it worked for sound deadening and heat? I am interested in both because I would love to save weight over the typical peal and stick aluminum backed stuff.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bliss, any update on how well it worked for sound deadening and heat? I am interested in both because I would love to save weight over the typical peal and stick aluminum backed stuff.

Do a search on the hamb, there is tons of feedback on it there.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
I am square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat management! Reply with quote

TxPunisher wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:

I own the car now. Unfortunately I cannot tell you differences with our without because I've only had it with. I can only say that it seem to keep the heat out quite well.

IDK if I should start a new thread or continue with this. I'm already redoing the front radiator set up. It was obviously "thrown" in without concern for quality.
Even the fuel pump was hanging on to the beam by plumbers tape.
The fuel has been getting real hot, presumably from the hot air from the radiator. I was experience vapor lock after driving about 20 miles in 90 degree weather. It's only gonna get hotter in Phoenix!

Overall, the car is great and fast! Looking forward to sharing the improvements that I do. Mostly improvements to the quality of the conversion itself. It's functional but looks like poo! lol

'73 Thing
'86 Syncro Doka
'85 Vanagon
'08 R32
'14 Tiguan
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on. Yes, the box coupled with the heat/sound deadening material made a huge difference on engine noise in the interior.
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chizucc wrote:
Dude...what happened?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609495

My bus needed an engine rebuild and a new bamboo interior.... LOL
0neSikNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

keel thread. doing this myself...
anyone thought about running the coolant lines through the tunnel? i did a test fit a while back and seamed to work...
now getting back on the project going to start up a thread soon...
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

That's how I did mine. I copied subynotch. Although I also managed to stuff heater lines in there and also my charge cooler lines.

Start a thread and share the lovin
0neSikNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

do you have a link to his build?
Kai4130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

0neSikNotch wrote:

http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2605&start=0

Careful. This isn't "On Topic" and these yanks get very touchy about it :snipersmile:
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

Kai4130 wrote:
0neSikNotch wrote:

http://vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2605&start=0

Careful. This isn't "On Topic" and these yanks get very touchy about it :snipersmile:

LOL...I dare you to find one thread in this forum that stays on topic...they all stray. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

I have picked up another type 3. After having Subaru power in the last car, I just can't be content with anything less. This one's gonna be done right . . .

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
I have picked up another type 3. After having Subaru power in the last car, I just can't be content with anything less. This one's gonna be done right . . .

COOL!! I look forward to seeing how you transition this ride to Subie power. STI?? Twisted Evil

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 Subaru Powered Fastback (It's Alive!) Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:

Nice start!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: