Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Man, I got an angry call from my HOA manager today telling me I am no longer allowed to work on cars on the property. I have been pulling engines, painting mufflers, changing oil, and holding classes on how to adjust valves for almost a year now.

All on pretty Volkswagens.

The DAY I bring a rust bucket home some neighbor complains. And not even to me. They called the HOA police so they wouldn't have to talk to me like a damn human being of a neighbor.

Hitting up craigslist tonight: Tennant seeks garage. Bedroom optional.

Robbie

Do you have the list of HOA rules and regulations?

You better start a new thread for BB or Tcash might lock you out. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

I have long thought that life would be much better for everyone if there was one commandment:

Dont be a d!ck! Covers 99.9% of all situations.

Sorry to hear your neighbors dont agree with me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Work work work work work… That's all it seems to be about right now… Luckily Buddy doesn't care.

First up, Santa Barbara: 216 miles. Pure "vehicular homeostasis" right here. The engine sounds as good here as it does any other RPM range. Fuel economy takes a hit, landing about 17-18 mpg at this speed. But it's just the sweet spot for this engine/tire combo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cool thing about having an engine that willingly spins up to 4,400 without breaking a sweat is hitting on-ramps like these. You have about 90 feet to hit 60mph. While there's no way in hell I'll be able to make that kind of acceleration, at least I know it's safe to give it our best shot.

Boss man says take the evening off? Ok! To Newhall we go: 95 miles. Mom is very proud of her Very Stock engine I just finished for her, so we had to park side by side!

Dad and I had the most fun preparing, with a stout/vanilla cream blend from Mother Earth Brewery, fresh from my growler! The smell of carnauba wax mixed with a rich stout is delightful. Cool

We didn't win anything, because our cars weren't lowered, and I refuse to play music at a group show, even though I could have totally owned the split bus playing some trite "loud and cool beats, bro…" So the two offered trophies went home with some trailer queens, but I had to get back to work the next day…

Santa Barbara, again: 98 miles. Not a bad view.

San Diego came next, 230 miles back. Imagine that picture above again, but over sunset. Cool

Oh, wait, we're going back to Los Angeles? Cool, I'll take Mulholland Ave while my coworkers sit in traffic enjoying the A/C and top 40 radio. Rolling Eyes (Oh, 126 miles…)

Anybody from Pawnee, Indiana? (58 miles… Lost count yet? I have!)

Somewhere in the thick of the 68 mph freeway banzai runs, I glanced down at my Dakota Digital CHT gauge and saw a flashing 587*. So I unplugged it. Laughing The next morning it just about stayed here for the whole drive… Confused

Uhh, where were we… LA to Newhall, to Pasadena, to LA, to Sylmar, to Pasadena, to LA to San Diego. Somewhere around 180 miles, I forgot to jot it down… In there, I visited mom's bug to confirm that her mixture screw o-ring is not snug enough to prevent mixture creep. Last week it was two turns lean, not it was eye-wateringly rich. This is strike two with this carb rebuild, after a faulty needle valve on delivery dumped gas all over the freshly painted manifold… Evil or Very Mad

On the 210 around sunset yesterday I found Juan Jose, in his '73 fresh "out of gas." well after a drive to the station, he lets it slip that he resurfaced his gas tank with a POR product recently, so I'm whole-heartedly expecting to find crap in his fuel filter… …But OF COURSE he doesn't have a fuel filter! Just the socks on his dual aftermarket Solexes… By the time I've gotten the tar out of the left carb and the car running smoothly, the tow truck he called two hours before shows up and we fight about weather he has to pay, since now his car runs and he can cancel the truck. As the bus is idling, it coughs, stalls, and the tar is back in the filter sock. Embarassed Good luck, JJ, I hope your fuel tank isn't ruined…

About 120 miles back to San Diego by way of Downtown LA for dinner, I am pooped. Spent. Exhausted. Drained. Buddy didn't care, he got a primo spot at the Bob Baker Volkswagen spring show in Carlsbad.

Anybody do the math for my work trip? Laughing It was something over 850 in five days of driving: a nice pace for enjoying the scenery and local cultures.

This marks exactly one year with Buddy's new engine. We're looking at about 13,000 and some change miles on the build, with a total repair cost of $5. Parts that I replaced for cosmetic fun do not count. Wink Average MPG has been in the 18-20 range, with tanks as high as 24 when I take my foot out of it and cruise at 55-60.

BB update:
- Removed both bumpers and waxed below them (useless, on this rusty carcass…)
- Sanded and painted both bumpers.
- Sanded the lower slider door track for smoother rolling.
- Cleaned and lubed the slider lower roller.
- Cleaned and waxed the upper slider roller track.
- Cleaned and greases the slider hinge track under the cowling. (Rubbing block is fine.)
- Re-keyed the rear cargo hatch lock; for some reason it was off the the rest of the bus.
- Clean and lube lock mechanisms.
- Oil every single rotating door/slider/hatch pivot.
- Graphite in all key slots.
- Removed, cleaned, and greased clutch cable. Cleaned, honed, and regressed clutch pedal pivot. No more squeeeeeaaak.
- Removed shift coupler, heat up and bend metal cage into shape of rubber bushings.
- Contemplated why they can't make the damn rubber bushings match the metal cage on the shift coupler! Rolling Eyes
- Adjusted reverse lockout plate. Wow; shifting is tick-tock precise and easier after coupler and adjustment.
- Adjusted heater blower motor left hose so it doesn't pop off on large bumps at speed anymore.
- Reattached driver door vapor barrier for noiseless flowing-through of air.
- Troubleshooted non-working horn: broken ground wire somewhere inaccessible.
- Sandblasted OG exhaust elbow (with correctly-welded baffle, thank you,) and crossover pipe.
- Replaced flasher relay (Made in USA, from AutoZone, cool!) after torrential flooding of Southern California rendered mine a high-beam-style solid state relay…
- Changed transaxle oil in hopes of quieting down on-power noise. Nope. Sad
- Tried to barter with Adrian for a thermostat pulley and cable. No dice, haha. Trying again next week…
- Installed Dynamat in a few doors to get the car ready for a music festival next week.

It's a good thing I don't have a girlfriend.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

neat

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Did I hear you got some chrome engine parts?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Did I hear you got some chrome engine parts?

Oh heck yeah! And it even captures how I feel about the entire EMPI catalog, except for their CV/axle kits:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Chrome fuel pump, checks out.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Another impressive trip, stoked for you and Buddy. Thanks for sharing!
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Rincon?

Nice trip. I appreciate how you geek out over buddy. Girlfriends are always a nice compliment to a bus and their CHTs usually run at 98.6* but haven't found the plug to reset them when I push them above 500* Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Rincon?

[img]
Nice trip. I appreciate how you geek out over buddy. Girlfriends are always a nice compliment to a bus and their CHTs usually run at 98.6* but haven't found the plug to reset them when I push them above 500* Wink

Juuuust South of Rincon. Mondos, judging by the GPS tag on the original photo…

I joke, mostly, about the single life. I've gone on a few dates, and I'm not against the idea. But I think the tirade against my credit card that is about to put BB through a rolling restoration would be considered "irresponsible" for a non-spinster lifestyle… Dancing

Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky that you can't just reset with flowers or jewelry. The sophisticated ones are the most rewarding.

Robbie
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Torque Tool Reply with quote

Axle & Gland Nut Leverage Tool (Buddy Bar)
Flywheel and Brake Drum Torque Tool Kit, 36mm Gland Nut and Axle Nuts
Recommend using two Flywheel locks. I have seen cases where the mounting ear broke off.
Universal Flywheel Lock, 6V and 12V Flywheels
Tip on using Torque Dude/Torque Meister Tool on buses
Torque 36mm-46mm adapter
5x205-5x112 adapter for 71-79 Buses

Good Luck
Tcash
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Any new adventures Robbie? Shake n bake?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Link

Smile Smile Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Like stealing certain parts off of someone's truck?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

He was attempting a shake n bake in a bus at 88mph but instead went back in time unintentionally

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Any new adventures Robbie? Shake n bake?

No Shake n Bake (have to watch that vid later...) but I did enjoy:

Brian wrote:
...stealing certain parts off of someone's truck...

Yeah yeah yeah I've always had a fairly quiet bus, but last night took me to another dimension. Reading an old post by busdaddy made me think differently about my heater duct tubes back there. As it turns out, the accordion metal tubes I've had forever were from Home Depot, not Hanover, Germany. I said "whatever, they're easy to work with and the heat is good." And they were, and it was.

But last night Brian gave me permission to steal his Volkswagen INSULATED DAMMIT heater tubes from his truck and swap.

I'm not a Christian, but I did find Jesus last night. And he's an insulated heater duct system. (Who knew?? Laughing )

My bus is quieter now with the heater on, than it was before with the heater off. The difference is insane, and I MUST watch the tach to double clutch down shift. I can't head the valve train echoing through the main chassis heat tube now, and the entire engine seems quieter. I think I'm finally at the point I expected to be at with my incredibly balanced and blueprinted engine.

Thanks Brian, and thanks Volkswagen.
Robbie
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

I expect those back later .....Razz
Just kidding Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

Robbie - you are giving your engine the upside finger....

just sayin,.....
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

You couldn't get them to incorporate your Bus into this piece? Cool job by the way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-million-lego-bricks-one-100000980.html
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 8k+ miles of bussing and smiles - now with more of each! Reply with quote

canes5time wrote:
You couldn't get them to incorporate your Bus into this piece? Cool job by the way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-million-lego-bricks-one-100000980.html

Hey thanks for the link! I haven't seen that before........ (Edit: just saw that it was published today. That's why Smile )

You know, I try to sneak my bus in wherever I can.

https://www.facebook.com/legolandcalifornia/photos...mp;theater

My name tag (LEGO-built, of course,) is a 2d bus, built in red and white. It's surprisingly hard to find LEGO bricks to match my "blazing copper" paint. You can see it (canted sideways) around the 0:46 mark in the video.

My second assignment on the job years ago was this:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 35

Jump to: