Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to search the Forums
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

The last one should look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is this page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php
Also accessed from Home -> Search menu item

The 2nd to last one is similar.

Do you see a search box in the upper-right corner of the site too?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Not getting that search entry box at all…

Oh, well. I think TheSamba is becoming a victim of it's own awesomeness.

Getting occasional timeouts/cache/cloud failures and now this. I'll check back and see what I can find.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Try clearing your cache in your browser.
What browser are you using?

Here's the overall search box in the upper-right that appears on 99.9% of the pages on the site:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

What browser are you using.... Chrome and Firefox work with new search parameters... Mobile browser maybe?

"Search" is also available from "Forum Index" page...

And when using Google Search to stay with in "the Samba" use a search string prefaced with 'thesamba.com'.... As example "thesamba.com:searchstring"... Yes there is a colon after "thesamba .com" and actual search string... This keeps the search within the Samba and not the whole internet...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
And when using Google Search to stay with in "the Samba" use a search string prefaced with 'thesamba.com'.... As example "thesamba.com:searchstring"... Yes there is a colon after "thesamba .com" and actual search string... This keeps the search within the Samba and not the whole internet...

You do not need to do this if you are using the embedded Google search pages on this site - it's already limited to this site only.

If you are on google.com then Yes, that is true.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

The Google search is not hooked up for me. I can use the search dialog and get referred to the Google option:

But as you can see, it doesn't go to Google: it stays at The Samba.com.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

It's still a Google search of the site, it's just hosted here so that it searches the Forums only automatically from the "searchg" page.

This is a service Google provides - You can set up a Custom Search engine that searches all or just part of your site and provide a search box and page to users.

I did that for the Forums search here.

Last edited by EverettB on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

But as I noted earlier, it doesn't work, at least not for me. It simply kicks back an error page that tells me to use Google but never links to the Google search. I can work around it by constraining my searches on Google to TheSamba.com. It's not just a drop in replacement.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

What happens when you click on the link above that says Click Here?

This image you posted

The direct link from the CLICK HERE you posted above is:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/searchg.php?q=headlight%20grounds

This works fine for me.
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

I'm not digging the new search engine for the forums... Just saying.. Confused Loved the old one, was a lot more user friendly.. Just Saying..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

I miss the old search function as well, will you be switching it back?
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
As some of you know, the Forums search of the site has been overloading the site from time to time for a while.

On Feb. 14, 2016 I made a big change to how it works.
Unfortunately this does not appear to have helped.

For now I have had to turn off the search and redirect people to a Google Search of the site I set up that will search the Forums only.

This search is accessed via the normal Forums -> Search menu items at the top of the site.

I hope to re-enable the internal Forums search in the future but I have no target date on when that will be possible.

From this thread
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Yes, I am working on another method to get the "old" way of searching back.

No target date, it may take a while.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, I am working on another method to get the "old" way of searching back.

No target date, it may take a while.

It's got to be a pain dealing with issues as the site grows.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Why isn't "Search title only" the default if it's the recommended way to search?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

It was confusing to people and the other way gives a lot more results if you are searching on something very specific.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Search Reply with quote

SEARCH
Google Search of the site: There are a couple of ways to access this.
1. Google Custom Search box, in the upper right corner of 99.9% of the pages.
Click on "Google custom search" and enter your search query click on Search.
[Google custom search>Enter query>Search]

2. Home-search
Another way to access the Google Search of the site.
Hover the cursor (arrow) over Home and click on Search.
[Home>Search]

The Google Search of the site will pop up.
Enter your search Query in the "Google custom search" box and click on>Search.
[Google custom search>Enter query>Search]

[Home>Search>Google Search the site page

Forums>Search

Forums>Search>Search Query

1. Search for keywords: - Enter words that best describe what you are searching for. The least amount of specific words will return the best results.
1a. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches: - Putting an * asterisk after a partial word will return Plurals (rim*= rims) Words with the same root (Friend* = friends friendship etc.) Misspelled (wag*= waguns)

2. Search for all terms- Default - Search results are returned only if all search expressions you entered in the Keywords field are found.

3. Search for any terms - Search results are returned with any of the keywords you entered in the Keywords fied.

4. Search for Author: - Enter the Authors user name. Results in only threads by the Author with your keywords in it.
4a. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches: - See 1a. This is good if you cannot remember part of the name of the author. Example (Keywords: air cleaner) (Author Tca*= Tcash)
Returns all the Air Cleaner posts by any user where their name starts with TCa*

5. Topic Starter: Yes - Will return only post started by the author entered.

6. Topic Starter: No - Will return all post started by the author entered and anybody else.

7. Forum: - Use this if you want to limit your search to a single Forum. For example, if you are searching for feedback on a seller, select the "Buyer & Seller" Forum only.

8. Display results as: Posts - Will return post with the Subject line and a brief passage from the actual post. With your keywords in bold. Versus just giving you a list of thread titles.

9. Display results as: Topics - Results in a list of thread titles with your keywords.

10. Search topic title and message text - Default - This will return threads with your keywords in the title and message body. If it returns too many results - Be more specific and reduce the amount of keywords.

11. Search title only (Recommended, faster) - This will return only threads with your keywords in the title. There will be less results, but they will be more specific to your search. If you do not receive the desired results. Check the circle next to #10 and search again .

12. Sort by: - Use the drop down to select how you want the search sorted- Default is Post Time, Post Subject, Topic Title, Author, Forum

13. Ascending: - The Oldest posted thread with your keywords will show up top.

14. Descending: - The Newest posted thread with your keywords will show up top.

15. Return first: 200 characters of post - This number represents the number of letters and spaces returned in the search body. You can use the drop down to increase or decrease this number.

16. Search: - Click on the "Search" button when you have completed the form to initiate the search. If the search results are not as desired. Hit the Backspace key or click on the backspace arrow.

17. How to use this Search: Brings you back to this Thread. -

18. If you find this search difficult - Try the Google Search of the site: -

Now that you have a list of search results. You can scan the Topic Titles alone or the Topic Titles
Subject line with the snippets of text.
Search Query - Topics selected

Search Query - Post selected

Select and open the Thread of your chosing.
How to search the Forums
Search this topic...
If there are to many pages and you want to refine your search further. Enter your search Query in the Search this topic... box and click on>Search.

Example:

Results a list with the Subject line and a snippet of the text.
How to search the Forums>Search this topic>Pitfalls>Results

How to search the Forums>Search this topic>Pitfalls>Opened link
Note: Search keywords will be in bold print.

Learn to search, Learn to use the search, Using the search, Use the search, How to search, How do I search, How to do a search, Searching, Best way to search, I want to search
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

Hoping someone here might be able to help me...
When searching in either the gallery or a forum, often I will go through one or two pages of results and then seemingly at random the next page won't load ("No photos/posts met your search criteria"). Does anyone know how to fix this? It happens on every computer I've tried, pretty annoying!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:
When searching in either the gallery or a forum, often I will go through one or two pages of results and then seemingly at random the next page won't load ("No photos/posts met your search criteria"). Does anyone know how to fix this? It happens on every computer I've tried, pretty annoying!

I think I've seen that occasionally, when I get to the last page, but the site thinks there is another page to follow. So you aren't actually missing anything; it just didn't realize it was already at the end.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to search the Forums Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:

If you do another search while you are searching, it kills the first search.

Sometimes I do a search, then on one of the pics from that search I will click to see that guy's other photos.
Ooops, I just broke the first search if I try to go the the next page there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: