Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

Beginning vw tech here... trying to perk up a 68 that has a converted engine...

I tried to fire up the engine for the first time after it had been sitting for several years and she wouldn't start. it seems as though there is no gas getting to the pump. There is new gas in the filter just north of the engine compartment, so its getting at least that far. Pulled the incoming line and blew into it and heard bubbling in the tank up front, so i dont think the line is blocked in any way. Should I swap the pump and eliminate that as the problem? What type should I get? Looks like they are about 30 bucks, so i figure that's about as much as i would spend on a compression testing setup (plus it seems to be hard to find a gauge in the 0-5 psi range.

photo note: These photos were taken a while back, so everything is now hooked up and ready to go.

Thanks for any help Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

Does your oil smell like gas? If so, you know your pump is bad.

I'm suspicious of the SP wires, too.
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

This photo is kind of old. I have since changed plugs and wires, rebuilt carbs, new points and condenser, moved fuel filter to outside of engine compartment and changed oil. Engine is turning but no fuel is getting to the pump it seems...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
This photo is kind of old. I have since changed plugs and wires, rebuilt carbs, new points and condenser, moved fuel filter to outside of engine compartment and changed oil. Engine is turning but no fuel is getting to the pump it seems...

If you have fuel to the pump, but nothing comes out, then the pump is kaput.
Pull the pump, and measure the length of the pump push rod. If it's 110mm long, then it's a generator pump you need. If it's 100mm long then it's an alternator style pump you need. It's also possible that you've got a 100mm push rod under a generator pump, which means it won't pump fuel. I only mention the pump push rod, since you have a converted bug engine case, and we don''t know which pump it has.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

Measured the rod and it's a hair shy of 108mm. Also the flange is recessed which I think also points to generator style. There is no trace of gas in the tip of the incoming line into the pump either...
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
Beginning vw tech here... trying to perk up a 68 that has a converted engine...

I tried to fire up the engine for the first time after it had been sitting for several years and she wouldn't start. it seems as though there is no gas getting to the pump.

Encountered the same when breaking my car out of storage. I thought the pump was shot, as there didn't seem to be gas getting TO the pump.

Removed the pump, stuck the supply line in a jar of gas and pumped by hand. After a few minutes of this, gas was spurting out of the pump.

Put it back on, no problems. I have a different pump than yours, but worth a try, for free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

So you pulled the line going to the carbs and turned the engine by hand until gas came through? or you pulled the line that goes to the pump from the tank and pumped, if so how?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
There is no trace of gas in the tip of the incoming line into the pump either...

Pull the fuel line off that feeds the pump, and blow into it listening for bubbles in the fuel tank. This is mainly to check and see if the feed line is plugged. Warning, fuel could come out of that line after you're done blowing thru it, so you might want a catch can of sorts handy.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

IdubThee wrote:
So you pulled the line going to the carbs and turned the engine by hand until gas came through? or you pulled the line that goes to the pump from the tank and pumped, if so how?

Your fuel pump is diff than mine, but basically work the same.

I removed the fuel pump from the car. Hose to jar of gas to fuel pump. This represents fuel tank to fuel pump.
Then using a pencil, depressed/released the lever inside the pump. This represents the actuator rod.
After about a dozen pumps, fuel was spurting out the delivery side of the pump.

I didn't have to do a Bob suggests since my fuel filter is near the trans (Hint, hint Wink ) and there was plenty flow when I changed it. But worth a try in your situ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdubThee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: squareback resurrection troubleshoot..no gas Reply with quote

I'm getting bubbles in the tank when blowing in the supply line. Pulled the pump out and the lever inside doesn't seem to move very freely at all. I'm pushing on it pretty hard with the rod and it's not really budging. Should it be pretty springy back and forth? bad pump?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: