Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

So, about a year or so ago, I was rolling through the middle-of-nowhere Texas around the spot that my Dad calls home. We have a set route that we take to and fro to get from the country to the big city. On the day mentioned I said "let's go the other way." Good thing I did.

The other way found us on an unfamiliar road used to get to the nearest small town. It was on this road that I said to my dad, "what is that?" As I pointed into the distance.

My Father said, "What is what?"

It was a beetle in a field. We had binoculars, but it was too far off to tell if it was anything worth scoping out. We drove to see of we could get a better vantage point, but the landscape and fencing kept it a secret. Was it early or late? Was it a bucket or a jewel? Most importantly, was it worth saving?

I instructed my Dad to use his Texas charms and do a little recon. After a couple of weeks, he was able to get his phone number to the landowners' wife. Time past, we heard nothing and assumed it was not for sale. We moved on......until last weekend.

I'm in Austin enjoying SXSW and I get a call for my father. After 8 months, the landowner stumbled across my Father's phone number that he had lost a few months ago and wondered if we were still interested in looking at the car? Hell yeah we are interested in looking!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. What we found was a 64 Beetle that looks mostly complete. It was previously owned by a VW mechanic who parked it in the late 80's, in the middle of a cow pasture, and never touched it again. It sat there and waited for some random stranger to come along and bring it back to life. I am that stranger Smile

Everyone, meet SB. My Granada Ruby Red 64. I have my work cut out for me, but I will have her back on the road as soon as I can.

These are all the pictures I have currently. The channels and floors are still a mystery although my Dad says the dry Texas climate did them a favor. I only see one spot of rust that worries me. I also see 30 years of patina that somehow survived all of the strange Texas weather.

Edit: link with 80+ pictures of recovery and car.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3scmv7LTNgSeDluOXZxS1A2dGc&usp=sharing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I always wondered how people, in this day and age, were still finding untouched jewels. Sometimes, it just takes a turn down an unfamiliar road and a lot of luck. They are still out there. I now know.

Before anyone ask, NO! I will not be painting it. Of all the cars I find in all the places, it is the same color as my current daily, Rusty. Smile

My Old 70 Squareback

Last edited by one4house on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Cool find. Cars in fields like that around here have the bottom six inches dissolved! Love the funky replacement turn signal lever. Looks like a fun project.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Cool find. Cars in fields like that around here have the bottom six inches dissolved! Love the funky replacement turn signal lever. Looks like a fun project.

I can't wait ti tear into it. I can't wait to see it with my own eyes. It is there and I am in the Dallas area.

Some eagle-eyed spotter thinks this one might be Ruby Red instead of Granada Red. I will take either. Smile
My Old 70 Squareback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Love it.....have you tried turning the engine over yet?
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Not yet. Tomorrow, when my father pays the gentleman and gets the title, i have instructed him to grab the belt and see if it wants to turn. I pray it turns.

If not, the price was still right.
My Old 70 Squareback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Man that's awesome. I wish I had the space, and time, to be able to justify picking up stuff like that. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

All I can say is, take TONS of pictures as you work on it and get it fixed up. I'm continually kicking myself for not doing that when I worked on my Austin Healey. I promise you won't regret it. Oh by the way, SUPER nice find there! Very Happy Like previously mentioned, that's an interesting turn signal switch. Aftermarket maybe? Also the ice pick handle on the drivers side door. And I'm so jealous of the pop out windows. Keep us updated! They are only original once! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Congratulations on the field find! It looks like a good one. Bring it out to some of the DFW area shows once you get it running!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

fly2kads wrote:
Congratulations on the field find! It looks like a good one. Bring it out to some of the DFW area shows once you get it running!

Will do. It will be a while, but it will definitely be out and about.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

It is official: the engine turns by hand. It will need a rebuild. We were told that it was parked because it kept fouling out the plug on one cylinder. It had lost a ring and had extreme blow-by.

Engines can be rebuilt.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

There are far to many pictures to try and post individually. Here is a link to a gallery with every picture I have. I would like people to look it over and see what we have.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3scmv7LTNgSeDluOXZxS1A2dGc&usp=sharing

Overall, I am shocked with how good it looks. There are a couple of rust spots, but, overall, it has been amazingly well preserved. I can't believe that it sat in a field for so long and did not become one with the earth.

Looks like it was last registered in 94. 22 years off the road. 22 years in a field. 22 years of Texas Panhandle sun baking. I am excited to get it back on the road.

Looks like some half pans and general rebuild and I can have it on the road. Smile[/url]
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

And before anyone makes a comment about the trailer used to move the vehicle, it was only used because the car was being moved 4 miles down a dirt road from one field to another. No highway speeds we attained. It was a simple farm to farm move.
My Old 70 Squareback
Thor_orr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

In one of the pictures is one of the wheels is four lug? Looks like the the LR maybe? That seems odd should be wide five.

Either way nice find hope you get her back on the road in short order!
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Thor_orr wrote:
In one of the pictures is one of the wheels is four lug? Looks like the the LR maybe? That seems odd should be wide five.

I had my dad pop off the rear hubcap and take a picture. Looks like they converted it to larger, late, rear drums. Everything else looks in tact. I will switch it back during the refurbish.
My Old 70 Squareback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

and a ice pick door handle on the drivers side?

nice find man.

Cool
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
Thor_orr wrote:

I had my dad pop off the rear hubcap and take a picture. Looks like they converted it to larger, late, rear drums. Everything else looks in tact. I will switch it back during the refurbish.

I have a 63 with 68+ rear brakes the newer shoes and drums give you a LOT more brake shoe / stop area ;
you can redrill the drums and keep the wider newer rear brakes .
{ does anyone know of new drums that are 68+ wide but have early lug pattern }
If you do decide to change it back ; it's drums ;shoes and wheel cylinders .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Bring it to the Texas Classic would love to see it. Yes I am heading there from Arizona.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Bring it to the Texas Classic would love to see it. Yes I am heading there from Arizona.

Maybe 2017. It won't be this year. I don't even know if I'm going to make it with my squareback this year.
My Old 70 Squareback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

Awesome "field find"! Appears to be solid, would you mind sharing the purchase price?
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle, Sunbaked. My Texas Panhandle Field Find Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Awesome "field find"! Appears to be solid, would you mind sharing the purchase price?

I got it for $800
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: