Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive shaft off
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

So I got a new pertronix distributer and did all the top dead center finding magic. When I pulled the old distributor out there was a washer directly under it and the shaft looked like its out of alignment. This is a 77 1600. Do I need to pull the shaft and reset everything or can I go back in with the distributer as is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

The slot is offset so you can't put the distributor in backwards.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Two schools of thought.....1> Just drop dist in any old place, find where points just open with #1 cylinder at TDC compression, and where ever rotor points that will be number 1 on dist cap.... 2> Try and do proper alignment by the book....That may require reindexing dist drive gear to get everything according to the book.....

By the book would be my choice... But I have been told ”by the book" is just abunch of crap (see other dist orientation threads)....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

If you reposition it "by the book", you'll never have an issue with your vac can positioning...

I'm with Dale on a lot of the book stuff....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

washer under the dist? or under the dist drive shaftgear? there should be 2 under the dist shaft drive gear.
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

When I took out the distributor proper a washer came flying out as well. The drive shaft and gear are still in and havent been removed. All I can figure from what I have read is that the person who last worked on it might have knocked one down in there and wasnt to careful. He apparently didnt care to index the distributor drive gear right. This is my first vw experience and the most mechanical work I have done as well. So I am a fan of by the book Smile Alas Old girl wont start and I have an electronic ignition module now so... Some folks have said you can still static time it and some have said you can't So I thought I might fall back and punt by indexing and stepping through it right.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

As that case does not have a fuel pump then you can pick up the distributor drive shaft with a magnetic pickup tool or a pencil (with the end cut square) wedged in the centre of the hole in the end. ( If there waa a fuel pump the push rod locks the drive shaft down so it has to come out)
Depending on wear in the bore it runs in you may have to wiggle it around to get it to come out.
When you put the drive shaft back in , take care not to rotate the engine if it does not drop in but pick it up and rotate the driveshaft a few degrees and try again. Turning the engine with the driveshaft not engaged properly can chew the brass gear on the crank. And that is a full engine stripdown job to replace.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Aearon wrote:
When I took out the distributor proper a washer came flying out as well. The drive shaft and gear are still in and havent been removed. All I can figure from what I have read is that the person who last worked on it might have knocked one down in there and wasnt to careful. He apparently didnt care to index the distributor drive gear right. This is my first vw experience and the most mechanical work I have done as well. So I am a fan of by the book Smile Alas Old girl wont start and I have an electronic ignition module now so... Some folks have said you can still static time it and some have said you can't So I thought I might fall back and punt by indexing and stepping through it right.

You can set static timIng with test light same as with points....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Test light Stays on no matter the rotation. That sounds like I have a short. Am I guessing right here?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Are you sure you didn't mean spring instead of washer?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Aearon wrote:
Test light Stays on no matter the rotation. That sounds like I have a short. Am I guessing right here?

No, you have open.... If using points they are not closing or you have bad connection or wire between coil and points, if electronic module its not grounded well or its "blown"....

Dale

Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft off Reply with quote

Nope it was a washer. The spring is in.

@Dale ahh I'm a visual learner that is an excellent set of graphics thanks. So the light is staying on. This is a new pertronix distributor with the electronic module. So potentially burnt module or bad ground. Now how to trace the ground fault
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: