Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I would not waste my time with the old shit.

I did a mexi swap. not too hateful...

Link

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, I saw it a long time ago. Does it run as quiet as the video sounds like?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep! I will load some pics of the car it went into...awesome...no flat spots nothing...drives like a 2015

the reason I think it's a waste using "old shit" is because of parts availability...all that stuff is getting hard to find (at least here) and will only get worse....

kind of dealing with it on my CIS cars. sucks....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What diameter are the Mexi end castings? Would they breathe a little better - or worse - than the 70s German hardware?
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread this afternoon and spent the rest of the day researching FI options for an upright Type 1 engine. I may go this direction instead of a watercooled swap. At least it would keep the 'spirit of aircooled engine' with the benefit of better reliability.

I was looking into a Mexican Digifant swap, but Megasquirt seems to be the popular way to go.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Skills I think this is the first engine swap thread where you didn't say "fuck it, go subaru" Applause Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

Is there any reason to move to the pleated paper air filters when/if I start running FI in my bus? Looks like most of the air filters changed from oil bath to pleated paper when the induction systems went to FI.

I'd prefer to keep my stock '71 oil bath setup unless the FI needs the newer style filtration.

While I'm on it, what's a good fuel line size? I've got six feet of 1/4" 304 stainless and a roll of 1/4" stainless braided Teflon hose that I was planning to use on my currently-carbed bus.
Will that size work for FI? It's easy to order something bigger now if I need more volume, I've got a -6AN fitting for the tank. I am considering running a tee at the stock outlet under the tank for supply/return, or if I run into fuel issues I can always get a screw-together fuel cell fitting and drill the tank for a dedicated return.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

Scriv, are you using everything from a mexican beetle?
If so, you don't need to tap the fuel tank. The fuel pump is unique in that the return goes back to the pump to be recirculated, not the tank.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Is there any reason to move to the pleated paper air filters when/if I start running FI in my bus? Looks like most of the air filters changed from oil bath to pleated paper when the induction systems went to FI.

I'd prefer to keep my stock '71 oil bath setup unless the FI needs the newer style filtration.

While I'm on it, what's a good fuel line size? I've got six feet of 1/4" 304 stainless and a roll of 1/4" stainless braided Teflon hose that I was planning to use on my currently-carbed bus.
Will that size work for FI? It's easy to order something bigger now if I need more volume, I've got a -6AN fitting for the tank. I am considering running a tee at the stock outlet under the tank for supply/return, or if I run into fuel issues I can always get a screw-together fuel cell fitting and drill the tank for a dedicated return.

I wonder if whatever is measuring the air flow would not appreciate the oil vapor that surely ends up in the intake from an oil bath filter?

That would be my main guess as to the biggest thing to consider/research if you wanted to use the oil bath.

I may have already said this in this thread, but Mexican FI would be a pretty sweet add-on to my Thing's motor! Is it a Digifant system, or did they move on to something else?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

I wanna see cfm numbers oil bath v paper elements

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

the o/p never made mention of what style FI he was going to run. digifart uses a map sensor in the ECU. plugged air filter =running rich (to a degree) so I think that an oil bath would be counter productive..or not but I would be aware that the digi system is map based

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

I've got a '79 Beetle complete injection engine I'm picking up tomorrow. Looking at pics of the air intake, I'm pretty sure the Beetle FI has a breather tube recirculating crankcase air to the intake, but is it before or after the paper filter?

the paper filter box system is hideous...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for tips, 1600 Beetle FI in an early bay Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I've got a '79 Beetle complete injection engine I'm picking up tomorrow. Looking at pics of the air intake, I'm pretty sure the Beetle FI has a breather tube recirculating crankcase air to the intake, but is it before or after the paper filter?

After! It connects into the s-boot after the AFM too, since you don't want the weight of the oil vapor messing with the precise airflow characteristics that the AFM needs to read.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: