Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: plastic cover behind petals? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzvO8hAyd8
at 3:40, what is that plastic cover? gas petal linkage cover? I havenever seen this before, but only have experience on my 73. is this a euro thing? late bay thing?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic cover behind petals? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
at 3:40, what is that plastic cover? gas petal linkage cover? I havenever seen this before, but only have experience on my 73. is this a euro thing? late bay thing?

It's a RHD thing, notice where the gas pedal is?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Is coil worth saving? Reply with quote

These are the readings on my ignition coil.

6.6 ohms at + to-

10.56 K ohms at + to primary.

I have been having the "bucking" issue, and I am replacing the coil with one that reads 3.0 and 8.0 K ohms.
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's the average cost to convert to Subaru? With the bulk of the work DIY. Donor car, used engine... Hard to find $ in the build treads. This would potentially be a 77 Westfalia.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Somewhere between a lot, and a lot I'd guess. $20 - $30 maybe? Skills will tell ya

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Hupp Hadees heater? Reply with quote

saw an ad for a Hupp Hadees vw eurovan heater for an amazing price 50 bucks. Is this something anyone has don before into a bay?
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: TS II Reply with quote

What reading shold a cylinder head temperature sensor show at 100 degrees Celsius?
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: oil pressure sensor test Reply with quote

Is there a way to test an oil pressure sensor if taken out of the engine block?

Thanks for all the fish.
Iain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: plastic cover behind petals? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

It's a RHD post '76 IIRC pedal linkage bar cover.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Surprised

Last edited by airkooledchris on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A few years back a fella in Florida did a crazy custom bus build with an Audi engine I think and crazy mods to the body. He sold it and I believe started another "stock" project that included a trailer made from a bay. Are you out there? Can anyone point me to that thread, other threads of his, or his Samba handle? Curious about the new build.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ive never dealt with wheel bearings before.

Ive noticed that when I turn left im starting to get a low hum/growl from (what *sounds* like) the front right wheel.

If I take a gentle right turn the sound goes away, then gentle left turn and the sound is there again.

Does this point to it actually being the front wheel bearing making the sound, or should I be just as suspect that it's actually the rear wheel/s doing it and im just getting faked out from the drivers seat position?

Finally, these are some parts that the PO left behind for me when I bought this bus. Im looking through the manual, and it looks like I would also need new "spacer ring"s to complete this job, does that look right?

The boxes are febi/bilstein and the parts are all marked febi and 'Germany'

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

Does this point to it actually being the front wheel bearing making the sound, or should I be just as suspect that it's actually the rear wheel/s doing it and im just getting faked out from the drivers seat position?

Finally, these are some parts that the PO left behind for me when I bought this bus. Im looking through the manual, and it looks like I would also need new "spacer ring"s to complete this job, does that look right?

Your noise could be coming from the inner left bearing or the outer right. If you bearings are adjusted loose it could also be the rotor cocking a bit and the pads dragging. The spacer ring are rings the seals run against and unless damaged aren't typically replaced.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
What's the average cost to convert to Subaru? With the bulk of the work DIY. Donor car, used engine... Hard to find $ in the build treads. This would potentially be a 77 Westfalia.

only the DIY'er could answer that....too many (and I mean far too many) variables to nail down a cost...

cost of donor

harness (diy or ship it out)

re gear trans

fuel tank refurb

paint engine bay...

new engine?

used engine?

t-belt kit?

the list is a mile long and an ocean wide. I know one place that gets 50K+, and another that is in the 20K range. so, it really all adds up to how nice do you want to spend.

and like most things in life, you may as well paint the bay/fix the tank/re bush the shift rod etc etc....a thrifty diy'er could do it for 5k or below IF they shop properly, and are not fussy on how it looks.

I could gaff up a bunch of things on my swaps, but I would never do it because a client would have a stroke if they got asked "you paid how much for that! and it looked like a junk yard took a shit in the engine bay.

but your average vw owner just wants it to "work" and doesn't care how it gets done. they don't care how well the conversion presents itself, as shown here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558012&highlight=subaru+conversion

not bagging the guys work, but holy hell I would raise an eyebrow if I saw that when someone popped the lid

so, to answer your question, there is no real answer to the whatsitcost question. everyone's budget and expectations vary wildly

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
totallynotmelgibson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

First time rebuild, inside of case looks strange to me? My brain jumped to possible damage in the casing. Sounds farfetched, but if someone wants to quell my worries, I appreciate it.

Pic is looking in #4 hole with piston removed

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Totally Not Mel Gibson,

You can take a big sigh of relief

It's only the flashing from the mold that it was pulled from.

Yes, I just went out to the garage and looked at a GE case

Chris
totallynotmelgibson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris. Mailing you a beer

Now if you want to make this ring compressor work, I'll ship you a keg

Last edited by totallynotmelgibson on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why 'Thank You Pale Ale will work.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

Your noise could be coming from the inner left bearing or the outer right. If you bearings are adjusted loose it could also be the rotor cocking a bit and the pads dragging. The spacer ring are rings the seals run against and unless damaged aren't typically replaced.

I've since realized that under harder right turns it's doing it also....

I asked about the spacer ring due to verbage in the yellow repair manual, which mentioned "always install new spacer ring with new seal. Drive seal in by tapping evenly all round with rubber hammer."

But after searching a bit I didn't see anyone selling that spacer ring nor could I locate the original part number from ETKA (just says no longer available.)
Bentley doesn't mention replacing it either.

Once it starts you really can't ignore it. I don't know how much time you have past the noise point, but it's begging to be dealt with already.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

I've since realized that under harder right turns it's doing it also....

I asked about the spacer ring due to verbage in the yellow repair manual, which mentioned "always install new spacer ring with new seal. Drive seal in by tapping evenly all round with rubber hammer."

But after searching a bit I didn't see anyone selling that spacer ring nor could I locate the original part number from ETKA (just says no longer available.)
Bentley doesn't mention replacing it either.

Once it starts you really can't ignore it. I don't know how much time you have past the noise point, but it's begging to be dealt with already.

Just jump in there and tear the hub down. It's a simple project. Get a brass punch and bearing race driver set since you haven't done this before. It will make it easier on ya. Get some good wheel bearing grease, pack the bearings and install them into your newly installed races.
When you go to adjust the bearing pre-load, you should follow the Bentley. Basically, you want to adjust the bearing load to about 0 ft. pounds. You should JUST be able to push the washer back and forth between the outer bearing and locking nut.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 265 of 515

Jump to: