Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Here's how to keep your spare fuel can in a Burley spare tire carrier.

It's a 9 liter BMW spare tire fuel can purchased from German eBay. These can sometimes be expensive, but if you keep at it you can find an OK price.
This one was $60 delivered to the US.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first job is to modify the mounting post of the spare tire carrier so that the spare tire can be turned around 180 degrees. This leaves a space inside the tire that can be used. I cut the bolts, and the end of the pipe of the original Burley center post. Then I pushed some coupling nuts into lengths of black pipe to hold the lugs and welded a washer and nut on the center of the pipe to hold a Thule lock knob.

Everyone should have a friend who can weld.

The center post now sits in the opposite direction from the original. It holds from the outside of the carrier and the coupling nuts connect bolts from both sides to hold the tire in place. Nice and solid.

The spare can is held in place with a Thule lock knob and a safety strap around the center of the gas can and over the top of the tire. This locks the gas and the tire against a casual thief.

And there she is. (I adjusted the safety strap later to get rid of the little bump)

And there she is in an almond orchard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Very elegant. I suspect the German made can is actually gasoline vapor tight.

Missing is a bulleye says hit here. Laughing Of course it is a Pinto reference joke.

Canadian Westy.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Nice work! Applause
BTW, is that a Gary Lee ladder?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Thanks! Yup, that's a Gary Lee with a custom bike rack I had him make for me.
I should do a post about that sometime too. It's a great ladder, but the powdercoat isn't lasting like it should. Chipping all over the place.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Cool. I'm working on improving my Paulchen bike rack for carrying stuff, but I really like your spare tire fuel can idea.
I'm thinking of a similar mod but with a Van-Cafe oversize tire carrier in the stock location and then attaching a skid plate underneath.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I put a VC spare carrier on mine, but I just can't quite make my 215 70 16's fit, so for now it's wasted space. For the life of me I can't figure out how the 215 75 15's fit there since the outer dimensions are almost the same, and I'm not even getting close with my tires.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Can't wait to see what you come up with! I put a VC spare carrier on mine, but I just can't quite make my 215 70 16's fit, so for now it's wasted space. For the life of me I can't figure out how the 215 75 15's fit there since the outer dimensions are almost the same, and I'm not even getting close with my tires.

My 215 75 15 fits in the stock clamshell with the back hacked off and some U-bolts to drop it down a bit. There is just some slight rub on the steering rod which doesn't seem to hurt anything.
But I'd rather eliminate that rub altogether. I also like the look of the FAS carrier, which has a crossbar with tire mount on it, which made me think of using your gas can idea in this setup. The FAS carrier isn't in production right now but I think a crossbar could be welded to the VC one easily enough.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories...viMYXCMQ7A

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Dang! I hadn't seen that carrier before, looks sweet. Definitely you could mount a spare tire gas can in there. It'd be super protected from impact in that location too. Interesting that they list the 215 70 16 as a definite fit. I'd love to have a second spare under the front.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Mercedes also has a similar factory spare tire fuel canister, so that might help with the Euro-ebay searches. They're both made by Bernsbach

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Never understood why USA vendors don't do that. I built my tire carriers like that so I can put stuff inside. I do want one of those fuel cans though! I'll keep my eye open when I am back this winter.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Nice work! Would the BMW or MB can fit in a 15" wheel or just a 16"?
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Yup, the one I have fits in a 15.
buttercupandfriends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

This is awesome!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Nice work Steve.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

This is a great idea that I'd like to replicate on my Burley tire holder. I got one of his "uncoated" ones when they were on sale Leap day.

The Thule lock you installed is pretty clever. Does it preload or maintain tension to keep the can snug & tight? Do you have the p/n of that lock handy?

It looks like a factory installed option. Cool

I'll need to make sure that my wheels will fit with the mods if I use the spare (my spare is narrower, 6" wide vs 8" wide). I had my Passat ET37 rims widened to 15x8. The spare for my Syncro is a 215/75-15, & the installed tires (for now) are 235/70-15. Will be upgraded to 255/70 at a later date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Here's the link to the Thule lock knob. It's a pretty handy little item.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/753-1908-04.html

It doesn't look very strong though, which is why I'm also using a safety strap. The strap holds the weight of the can, and the knob keeps it from bouncing around. There's no preload, but it can be tightened enough to keep everything in place.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Or maybe use this ATV spare tire mount & somehow add that Thule lock into the end. This would give you a way to preload it.

link

https://www.everythingpolarisrzr.com/polaris-rzr-spare-tire-mount-by-hornet-outdoors.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Thanks for the German Ebay tip. I did a search for "bellino" & found a clean one for a decent price. It's not the 9 litre can as the OP installed, it's a 7L. It seems like those 9L cans are not as common. There's also a 6L

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Auto-Motorrad-Teile-/131090/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=BELLINO

Last edited by tjet on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

Looks like there are 'Original' VW gas cans around, too!
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Reservekanister-10-L-FAWI-8...fresh=true
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reversing a Burley Spare Tire Carrier to Carry a Fuel Can Reply with quote

My gas can showed up today from my first German Ebay transaction Dancing

It pretty much fits flush into a stock Passat 15x6 ET37 rim.

Note, this a 7 liter can. The 9L ones are more rare/expensive. I think it was in a Benz.

Was around 110€ shipped

Thanks noganav Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: