Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel in luggage rack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

It will cost about $1000 total to do it the way I did, but the RMW swing away tray with NATO fuel/water cans is a good compromise. My post with photos:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7985501#7985501

Note that this setup does not require a special bumper--the RMW swing away tray mounts to the existing Vanagon D-pillar sheet metal.

This keeps the fuel out of the luggage rack. Those fuel/water cans are between 40 and 50 pounds each--so keeping them low is in my interest. I think the weight limit for the luggage rack is around 120 lbs.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
SCM wrote:
joetiger wrote:
What about the Mercedes spare tire gas can?

Now THAT is cool! Do you know if it would fit inside a 14" alloy? If so, I could put it right next to the other "bomb" that's right beneath my feet.

I know that they were discussed years ago but I don't know if anybody here ever bought one. I think the Mercedes ones might have only been available in Europe. There are several for sale in Germany and Austria on Ebay right now.

BMW also made one. here's a rather pricey one available domestically. I didn't see any size specs but they might be in the listing somewhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-gas-can-fits-in-spare-...mp;vxp=mtr

I used to have one back in the '70's - not sure who made it but it was red and made of steel.

I bet they are still around somewhere in the US...

yes, the question is where to put the bomb & I suspect the spare tire carrier is the best place

I used to drive all over the Orygun outback with a 5 gal. Jerry can bolted to the side of my bay back in the late holocene period... seemed safe
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

That spare tire MB can would be great for the automatics, but the manuals have that metal box in the way.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Or just bolt the jerry can holder to the bumper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

What could possibly go wrong... Rolling Eyes
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

Looks like a DIY Pinto.... Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Those MB spare tire cans seem awesome - except the only one I see on ebay is $180, plus shipping! I measured between the frame rails on the passenger side and it's about .5 inches too small to fit a rotopax 2 gallon, according to the dimensions on their site. Drats!

I may end up either getting a rotopax to put in the luggage rack, or just a standard plastic gas can and see how it goes.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

it can't be too hard to make a plastic version of the round cans

not sure how many would need to be made for an injection mold run or if a 3D printer can make a fuel safe plastic...
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
it can't be too hard to make a plastic version of the round cans

not sure how many would need to be made for an injection mold run or if a 3D printer can make a fuel safe plastic...

The easiest method would probably be rotational molding. Custom Roto makes plastic water and waste tanks from polyethylene. Since this material is also used for fuel tanks I don't see any reason why they couldn't be used as such.

You would need to get some kind of filler neck/tube that could thread into the NPT or barb fittings that can be spin welded onto the tanks. But overall cost is quite reasonable, even for low volume production.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
Those MB spare tire cans seem awesome - except the only one I see on ebay is $180, plus shipping! I measured between the frame rails on the passenger side and it's about .5 inches too small to fit a rotopax 2 gallon, according to the dimensions on their site. Drats!

I may end up either getting a rotopax to put in the luggage rack, or just a standard plastic gas can and see how it goes.

I like the size of the longer 4 gallon rotopax. I think it would fit in the luggage rack perfectly and would stay put better. I would probably put something over it to control heat expansion or paint the top side white, but I woudn't hesitate to take something like that along on the few trips where I thought I might need extra gas.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

http://www.customroto.com/iastanks.asp?type=Industrial%20Tanks
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

As promised, here's a thread with my install into a Burley spare tire carrier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

That's awesome! I started looking at those on eBay but the only ones I saw were crazy expensive. I ended up just getting a Rotopax 4 gallon. It's not cheap, but it fits great in the luggage rack with plenty of room to spare for camp chairs, table, and whatever else. I'm sure it will be a pain in the butt to put up there with 4 gallons, but I likely won't keep it that full most of the time. I was worried about it leaking, but I put I put some gas in it and stood it on end, cap side down, for a few days and nothing is leaking.

Now I won't be as scared about running out of gas somewhere in Baja or somewhere else in the middle of nowhere.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Ya, that's definitely a great way to go. Also, the Rotopax holds an extra full gallon compared to mine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

When traveling with my motorcycle, i have traveled with two 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs strapped in the luggage rack. They've been lashed tightly down so coming loose isn't really a problem. Short of a roll over (at which time, i'd be in a world of hurt anyway), this has worked well for me for literally thousands of miles on and off road.

The biggest problem is hoisting a 35 lb container of fuel down off the roof by yourself.

I'm sure some would say these aren't the correct containers, etc., but i've talked with CHP and Rangers who've seen my set up on the road and they've all been pretty cool. The intent is to get out there and do it right?
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I can report that the Rotopax 2 gallon tanks fit flat perfectly either side of the Renogy solar suitcase. Smile
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I use two 2-1/2 gal red plastic containers held up in the luggage rack by a cambuckle strap. I figure the odds are greater of a rear ender than a roll over.
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I hope this isn't off topic... but does anyone know if it's legal to carry 20lb propane tanks mounted to a hitch, either in front or on the rear?
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
I mounted QuickFist XL rubber clamps in my luggage rack, they hold a can. I have one gas and two water, with the intent of extended ranges and camping.

squegee_boy did it first:

I might give this a try. Any idea what size the green cans are shown up in the luggage rack? 5L or they the 10L? [EDIT, found em online. They are 20L] Nice Work!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Why so complicated and expensive? I have a 2-gallon plastic gas can on the floor on the passenger side (travel alone mostly) and I drive like an old lady.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: