Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New low-profile SS pushrod tube shields from Vanistan/RMW
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkvw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work with the VanCafe oil pressure kit I ordered/just received? I've been running my van with no shields since installing my WBXSS exhaust two+ years ago.
1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg
1987 Porsche 944 (951) Turbo
1987 Vanagon GL, Rocky Jennings Heads, RMW Exhaust, ASL 5-speed, AMG Wheels
1981 Porsche 924 (931) Turbo
1972 Beetle (standard)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I prefer the stock system. it can take an impact and since it is not hooked to the pushrod tubes, wont transfer the impact to the tubes. also with some bending and extending the mount that hooks to the exhaust stud, I was able to run a relocated pressure sender switch with the stock shields, and also am able to protect my hoses for the external cooler by running the oil hoses between the stock shield and the tubes. The extended mount, I do not need to remove the exhaust nut to lower the stock shields out of the way

For coolant change, I flush with a flushing tee on the rear heater hose, and blow out excess water with a shop vac thru a disconnected radiator hose at radiator. no need I found to drain via the engine drain plugs.

it is just not a good idea to mount the shield directly to the fragile pushrod tubes as this design has done, whack the plate on the ground on a rough road and the tubes can still be damaged. The shield really should be mounted differently, on the tubes as it is asking for trouble

This ^^^ is seriously some of the most stupid tripe I've ever seen vomited up on here, and that's really saying something.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New low-profile SS pushrod tube shields from Vanistan/RMW Reply with quote

Across all topics, he's consistently one of the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New low-profile SS pushrod tube shields from Vanistan/RMW Reply with quote

Hard not to notice, it's true.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
MMKGreenMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
I prefer the stock system. it can take an impact and since it is not hooked to the pushrod tubes, wont transfer the impact to the tubes. also with some bending and extending the mount that hooks to the exhaust stud, I was able to run a relocated pressure sender switch with the stock shields, and also am able to protect my hoses for the external cooler by running the oil hoses between the stock shield and the tubes. The extended mount, I do not need to remove the exhaust nut to lower the stock shields out of the way

For coolant change, I flush with a flushing tee on the rear heater hose, and blow out excess water with a shop vac thru a disconnected radiator hose at radiator. no need I found to drain via the engine drain plugs.

it is just not a good idea to mount the shield directly to the fragile pushrod tubes as this design has done, whack the plate on the ground on a rough road and the tubes can still be damaged. The shield really should be mounted differently, on the tubes as it is asking for trouble

This ^^^ is seriously some of the most stupid tripe I've ever seen vomited up on here, and that's really saying something.

I have no doubt you're right about this, tencentlife, but for us less mechanically inclined folks can you possibly provide a brief explanation as to why bluebus86 is out to lunch on this one? Thanks!
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMKGreenMachine wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I have no doubt you're right about this, tencentlife, but for us less mechanically inclined folks can you possibly provide a brief explanation as to why bluebus86 is out to lunch on this one? Thanks!

I think what is meant is that the shield is less effective if it is mounted to the tubes that is designed to protect rather than mounted to block and heads as the stock shieled is. Makes sense to me.
I ran an auxiliary cooler with hoses from the oil filter adaptor above the stock shields so that the hoses are protected, cant do that with the aftermarket design it appears, no room for them.

I dont see any vomit here.
MMKGreenMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
MMKGreenMachine wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I think what is meant is that the shield is less effective if it is mounted to the tubes that is designed to protect rather than mounted to block and heads as the stock shieled is. Makes sense to me.
I ran an auxiliary cooler with hoses from the oil filter adaptor above the stock shields so that the hoses are protected, cant do that with the aftermarket design it appears, no room for them.

I dont see any vomit here.

Yeah, I understood what bluebus86's concern was. My question to tencentlife is why isn't that a legitimate concern? My passenger side stock shield is gone and I have no interest in messing with the bolts on the block and heads, so I'm thinking of purchasing a set of the low-profile shields and am looking for an explanation as to why I shouldn't be worried about the sort of energy transfer to the rods that bluebus86 (and you) mentioned. Thanks.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New low-profile SS pushrod tube shields from Vanistan/RMW Reply with quote

Think of it this way, if you take a 2 lbs hammer and with all your might strike the center of the aftermarket plate, what do you think will happen to the pushrod tubes to which the plates are directly attached? Dents, seals leaking, maybe even a bent pushrod?
Then think of doing the same to a stock shield. I bet the stock shield could be hammer hit many times before any damage is done to the pushrod tubes.

There is the claim that these aftermarket plates are easy to remove, thus making the head coolant drain plug easy to get at. That maybe true. But if you want to make it easy with stock shields, simply cut a hole in the shield to pass a socket through to get at the drain plug.

The idea of of having a shield is to protect the delicate pushrod tubes, the stock shield does a good job, the aftermarket shield is a poor design in this regard, yeah better than nothing, but inferior to stock.
MMKGreenMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New low-profile SS pushrod tube shields from Vanistan/RMW Reply with quote

Yeah, I get all that, and that all makes intuitive sense to me. That is why I was hoping to hear why tencentlife, who I understand to be the inventor of the low-profile shields, says that is not an issue to worry about.

At the end of the day, with my stock shield missing and no desire or ability to replace it with another stock shield, I do figure this has to be better than nothing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: