Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inca99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

My 91 Carat has been fussy lately. Hard starts, rough idle, then smooths out, then reduced power etc., etc. Today she stalled at a stop sign getting ready to cross a split highway...thankfully she decided to crap out before I got into the cross traffic! So tried and tried to start with no luck at all, not even a little sputter - she refused to budge. Called for tow, waiting for flatbed and came across a Vanagonauts checklist of pure wisdom by the Amazing Wilford. One of the magic tricks involved "jumpering" (is that even a word??) the Temp2 plug with a paper clip. And since there is always a paperclip in the bottom of your aftermarket center storage box, I plugged it in and she fired right up, purring like a kitty. [Ken, can I please by you a beer next time you're in Greenville, SC?!] So the new switch is on order, but I had to get home like that, which I did with absolutely no trouble. Wondering if this is ok to drive like this while I'm waiting for the new switch, or if the rigged plug will bugger something else up. Thoughts and advice appreciated!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

May make it harder to start on a cold morning - in which case you could just remove the clip to get started and warmed up.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

inca99 wrote:
My 91 Carat has been fussy lately. Hard starts, rough idle, then smooths out, then reduced power etc., etc. Today she stalled at a stop sign getting ready to cross a split highway...thankfully she decided to crap out before I got into the cross traffic! So tried and tried to start with no luck at all, not even a little sputter - she refused to budge. Called for tow, waiting for flatbed and came across a Vanagonauts checklist of pure wisdom by the Amazing Wilford. One of the magic tricks involved "jumpering" (is that even a word??) the Temp2 plug with a paper clip. And since there is always a paperclip in the bottom of your aftermarket center storage box, I plugged it in and she fired right up, purring like a kitty. [Ken, can I please by you a beer next time you're in Greenville, SC?!] So the new switch is on order, but I had to get home like that, which I did with absolutely no trouble. Wondering if this is ok to drive like this while I'm waiting for the new switch, or if the rigged plug will bugger something else up. Thoughts and advice appreciated!

sensor 2 for temperature should be the coolant temp. it is a semiconductor resistance sensor, thus it has an inverse resistance to temperature charectoristic. assuming the paper clip is close to zero ohms, the motor will think the engine is fully warmed up, thus you will be running on the lean side when motor is cool. probably not much harm, it will NOT be dumping in lots of fuel which would harm the catalyst. as other poster said, it may make it difficult to run cold. usually a cold motor will want more fuel till it is warmed up.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

inca99 wrote:
One of the magic tricks involved "jumpering" (is that even a word??)

I would not be too worry. Oxford and Webster dictionary has been admitting a lot of very questionable words. The standard is pretty low these days even for the Brits. Jumpering looks pale in comparison. On the opposite end, I forever bugged by NYT's tightass (is that even a word?) editor in the tech section that insists his staff writers that USB is spelled U.S.B. HDMI as H.D.M.I etc Rolling Eyes

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Jumpered

Websters seems to ok the word jumpered. You are golden, no problem.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

he is, but you're not
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
he is, but you're not

"He is, but you're not."

Fixed it for you.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

full sentences not required Twisted Evil
Letsgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

Ken is a great mechanic. He has serviced my van and knows his stuff.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

The grammar police are jumpering all over each other in this thread. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

x2 with what Ahwahnee said.

Mr Wilford definitely knows his stuff. He has done some excellent documentation of a Bostig install on his FB page, and also has a few good videos on youtube. His parts business, Vanagain, deserves to be on the list along with GW, VC, BD, T3, etc. We don't really see him here on the samba, but he's definitely got love for Vanagons.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

noganav wrote:

you have been selected as a finalist in the Pun of the Year award
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: temp2 plug jumpered with paper clip saves the day Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
noganav wrote:

you have been selected as a finalist in the Pun of the Year award

I dont like grammer police, I could just kilogrammer police. Smile Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: