Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Does anyone else NOT have an "OXS" indicator light on their instrument cluster? My 91 Westy doesn't have it.

A PO glued a penny over where mine might be - so I assume I do have one, but I can't see it...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

My '89 doesn't have the Ox light

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Three production changes that quickly come to mind:

1. Rear license plate/oil filler flap handle changed from curled style to grab handle. (1983 or 1984)

2. Rear decklid push-button and surrounding sheetmetal revised. (1984)

3. Chrome front bumper gained embossed ridge along back edge. Used to be flat like the rear.

I'll add pictures when I have a chance. Fun thread!

D

So .... The front bumper embossed ridge...... As in this photo on my 86?

Who has photos of the earlier bumper?
Who knows when they changed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Three production changes that quickly come to mind:

1. Rear license plate/oil filler flap handle changed from curled style to grab handle. (1983 or 1984)

2. Rear decklid push-button and surrounding sheetmetal revised. (1984)

3. Chrome front bumper gained embossed ridge along back edge. Used to be flat like the rear.

I'll add pictures when I have a chance. Fun thread!

D

The license plate door.....
Here is my 86......

Anyone have photos of the older style?
When did they change?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

Sliding door change....

When exactly did it take place?
For all of 85 or early in the 85 year run?

And exactly what are the differences?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

1980 had a very nice metal hoop to pull and release the spare tire, 81 and on had the plastic pull hoop and sometime later the whole latch assembly went to all plastic.

The fridge also changed to an auto reignitor setup in 1990.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

My 85 has the late sliding door and the late license plate flap.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Sliding door change....

Dave

Hi Dave,

As far as I know, all 1985 model year vans have the updated sliding door. It can be spotted by the shorter handle and deeper, but smaller handle recess.

The entire track assembly is different on the newer system and it eliminated the nylon guide bushings used on the early door.

The window aperture on the later sliding door is also slightly shorter.

Dave
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

My '87 has this stamp 10/86

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

Adjustable front seat arm rests..... What year?

Up to and through 86 is a No.

87????

88 and up seems like a Yes?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Adjustable front seat arm rests..... What year?

Up to and through 86 is a No.

87????

88 and up seems like a Yes?

Dave

The adjustable armrests were introduced for MY 1987.

D
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

Arm rest and rear window vents on my 88.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

Well, yes, the title says '87, and the 10/86 seems to confirm. Front seats are both adjustable arms. Although, the driver door has the electric mirror adjuster, which does not work, and I can't find Fuse #25. Looks to me a lot like the driver side took a full front to rear swipe. It is entirely possible that the driver door was replaced with another perhaps newer one. Also, I'd guess the PO upgraded the seats if they weren't standard for that year. That old Duffer really did some amazing stuff, from all the things I have found thus far. The only thing I truly detest was to cut off the closet door.... I think the door that could swing open over the table was a year or so later? Hence, the PO was aware of that from somewhere, and doing 'upgrades' as he could. Too bad about the cabinet frame. The door is not good, but the frame, sheesh, come on!!!

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

The closet door length is a new item to me.

What year did Westfalia change the design and does anyone have photos of the design change?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

What year did Westfalia change the design and does anyone have photos of the design change?

Dave

Actually, it was more of a model change.

All Joker/Club Joker models have the tall door. And all California/Atlantic have the shorter door.

California first appeared in late 88, and the Atlantic in early 89. But there were some overlap Joker production after that (up to 90 I believe)

Club Joker door:

California door:

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

My 1991 Carat has factory painted sound deadening on the rear engine deck and behind the rear seat while my 1980 aircooled and 1985 Westy are just painted metal.

My 1982 Diesel however has the same sound deadening treatment....
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Sliding door change....

Dave

Hi Dave,

As far as I know, all 1985 model year vans have the updated sliding door. It can be spotted by the shorter handle and deeper, but smaller handle recess.

The entire track assembly is different on the newer system and it eliminated the nylon guide bushings used on the early door.

The window aperture on the later sliding door is also slightly shorter.

Dave

Dave(s), regarding the sliding door changes, was there a change in window size?
boat_builder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

Someone asked about date stamps...There are date stamps on the front of the wheel rims that show the month and year of manufacture... my spare is from 1977![/b]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

When I was shopping for a Westy camper I saw an '87 with the long door (shortened as in the photo above) and bought a '90 with a short door. My '85 had the long door.

I find the short door to be much more convenient due to the easier access to the closet.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Body Changes.... How is my 91 different from your 80? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Actually, it was more of a model change.

All Joker/Club Joker models have the tall door. And all California/Atlantic have the shorter door.

All Westfalia full-campers shipped to North America had the short closet door beginning with the 1989 model year (no such thing as Joker and California here). That door is one of the reasons I limited my search to '89-'91.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: