Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo 70 single cab project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

I've been driving bay window buses for as long as I've been driving. My dream vehicle has always been a VW pickup. Well I got the opportunity to snatch one up and took it. I've been collecting parts for about a year now and am ready to begin.

The vehicle in question:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine thus far:

2161cc

It's an aluminum super case. Some machining was necessary to get it ready. The decks were not square so I had it decked. The case is not machined properly for the distributor drive so I had to take some material out there. Also a tiny bit had to be taken off one of the cam bearing saddles for clearance.

It contains a DPR 84mm crank with chevy rod journals, balanced along with the flywheel, which is wedgemated. It has 5.5 Scat H-beam rods. The cam and lifters are from Jason at Paradise Motorsports. The cam is not too wild, just a little bit bigger than a 110. I'm using AA 40mm intake 35.5mm exhaust heads that I ported myself. I also had a friend unshroud the valves. I'm using EMPI 1.25 ratio rockers.
The pistons and cylinders are cima, forged 90.5 'b' pistons. I'm using Grant chrome top rings and totalseal seconds.

Sequential fuel/air and spark will be via megasquirt and a turbo.

Throttle body is a 2 incher from a saturn found in a junkyard. It has the tps and iacv on it and they are GM which is good.

Intake manifold is an old holly bug spray that I will have to modify a little. It's really close though.

It's gonna have coil on plugs from a 1.8t vw engine.

Map sensor is also from a 1.8t and I got a weld-on bung that I'll weld to the charge pipe.

Cam sync from CB:

Injectors are 30lb bosch red tops originally fitted to the ford thunderbird and GMC typhoon. They are saturated injectors which means megasquirt can drive them directly from the computer.

1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

I'm building the exhaust myself. It's gonna be 100% stainless steel. I'm going to take it forward and have it exit in front of the passenger rear tire. I want this engine quiet hence the length. Here are some of the bits:

The VW flanges are SS from aerovee. The vbands are vibrant performance. The little ones will be where the j pipes meet the collector. The t3/t4 flanges I got on amazon. The merge kit is from cone engineering. I have pipes and a magnaflow muffler and a vibrant super quiet resonator too.

I'm modifying stock VW end castings to accept the injectors and building my own fuel rail.

I have a MST pulley and I got a trigger wheel setup from Mario at the dubshop.

I haven't bought the turbo yet but I got a TiAL 38mm air cooled wastegate and a TiAL recirculating blow-off valve. I'm planning on letting megasquirt control boost, but don't want anything above 12psi as I'm planning on making this a daily driver.

I also am converting it to a late bay beam and vanagon self-adjusting backing plates in the rear. That will get the bolt pattern to 5x112, giving more choices for wheels.

I'm gonna put a 6 rib in it which I'm having rebuilt with taller 3rd and 4th gears.

Cc'd the heads, worked out to 58cc

Had to have the pistons dish cut by my machinist extraordinaire friend. This will add 12 cc to the chamber volume

My deck height is -.160. Ouch. With .180 cylinder spacers bringing deck height to .020" and .060" copper head gaskets and 70cc chamber volume I'll have a compression ratio of 7.3:1. Perfect with 10lbs of boost for some decent horsepower with minimal heat.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Pics of my wastegate and blow-off valve. Shiny!

2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

nice!!

how much boooossstttt you *really* going to stuff down it's throat?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Fun project! V-bands are the way to go. I have found that the coil packs from the 2.0T FSI motors spark hotter and don't die as fast. They have the same harness connectors as the 1.8T ones.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
nice!!

how much boooossstttt you *really* going to stuff down it's throat?

I'm thinking max 12 psi. This is gonna be a daily and I don't really want to tear down the engine every month so I'm trying to be conservative. Buses need a lot more mods to go crazy fast anyway. Although Wagenswest's airbag beam and rear airbag kit are on my wishlist. Twisted Evil

Megasquirt does allow multiple fuel/air and spark table maps, and with an electronic boost controller I could switch between "eco" and "sport" mode if I really wanted. I don't plan on racing it but, you know, things change.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this come together. That bottom end is similar to an engine I'm building for my '64 Bus (I'm using a CB case and CB H-beams with 90.5 B's).

Have you been scheming this build for a year and keeping it secret from the forum?? That takes patience!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I'm thinking max 12 psi..

well, I saw that Laughing if 12 is fun, how much more fun would 14 be? Twisted Evil

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
I'm thinking max 12 psi..

well, I saw that Laughing if 12 is fun, how much more fun would 14 be? Twisted Evil

It's gonna be like meth. You keep craving more until you destroy yourself.
You guys have to keep me in check, I'm counting on you.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

can I ask why MS? I know it's possibilities are endless. I have played with one some years ago, and it was fun...very time consuming, but good learning experience.

I liked SDS...pretty much ran right out of the box and "self adjusted" with the use of a wideband o2. more money up front, but it did save a bunch of time on the back side. it was easily programmable too.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

I'm a diehard do-it-yourselfer. Megasquirt appeals to me because of this. I've long thought about how I would set it up, what parts I wanted to use, so on, so forth. Also, MS has a huge and vocal online user base with plenty of them willing to help and share. It's the people's FI. It fits for the people's car.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Tapped a hole in the top of the case to install a breather filter. I'm using a fuel injected bug filler neck with the big hose. I will run a line off of it up to a catch can then down to the air filter side of the of the turbo. This hole I tapped will have a breather filter on it. It will serve as an intake for the case while the oil filler breather will have a slight vacuum on it from the intake. This is necessary with a turbo or else the case can get mighty pressurized and start spewing oil out of the seals. I'm not a fan of tapping the valve covers as half the time oil has the pushrod tubes blocked.

And yes I got all the chips out. Shocked
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

But... But... But... It's not... STOCK!!!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
But... But... But... It's not... STOCK!!!

LOL. I knew I'd hear it at some point. I have this thread going on ultimateaircooled.com too just in case it gets too rowdy here. You guys are cool though, all in good fun. That's what this project is supposed to be, after all.

Also, at least it's not a subaru. Wink
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Also, at least it's not a subaru. Wink

Ayeeee. Can't wait to see how this turns out

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

Also, at least it's not a subaru. yet. Wink

^^^^ much better now Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

All kidding aside, what's up with your gallery plugs? Looks like you have already finished the bottom end, but the gallery plugs haven't been pulled?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
All kidding aside, what's up with your gallery plugs? Looks like you have already finished the bottom end, but the gallery plugs haven't been pulled?

The threaded ones have been out while I was cleaning the case. I put the case in a parts washer in my friend's shop and let the cleaner go through the oil cooler output for about a day. We did that at the shop I used to work at and never had a problem. I have yet to seal the back threaded plug and the front one is for the full flow.

If you mean pulling all of them to tap them, I don't find it necessary. My friend has a 2332 that's turbo'd with about 500hp with the same case and it's held up up for years.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Just figured for having a brand new case with the money involved you'd want to pull all the gallery plugs for a scrub. Always heard that preached as shop etiquette when building an engine...
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo single cab project Reply with quote

Nice! Please tell me you're gonna keep the body the way it is?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: