Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop tack strip alternative?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I am missing the vinyl tack strip that is used to take the Poptop canvas to the wooden frame of the Poptop. Has anyone used something that is easily found locally as an alternative?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

It's been several years since I installed the pop top tent. As I remember there was a plastic strip about 3/4 inch wide that goes against the canvas and I used a pneumatic staple gun to shoot the the strip, canvas, and hardwood frame. Regular staple gun and electric staple gun were too weak to penetrate the wood. I think pretty much anything would work for the strip. Maybe you can find something at home depot
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I use velcro stripping I think it comes 12 long you need 2 boxes
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I was hoping I could find something at Home Depot that would work. I was wondering if anyone knew of something that I could go and ask for by name instead of wandering the store forever, lol.
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

hansie wrote:
I use velcro stripping I think it comes 12 long you need 2 boxes

You mean the Velcro strips with the adhesive backing?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

Vinyl cove base molding, cut down with strong scissors or tin snips.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that self adhesive velcro would hold. This job is a tough one and not something I would want to do again. I have no idea if all the pop top frame wood is as hard as the one I did but believe me when I tell you that a normal staple gun just won't cut it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

Yeah, that stickyback Velcro would be a waste of time and money, first time the sun comes out it'd be off. Maybe if you got the plain backed commercial stuff and attached it with high quality contact cement as well as real staples, but you'd still have to leave the canvas baggy and you'd have to sew the other 1/2 to the canvas.

Stainless staples and an air stapler is the only way to do it properly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

i just did mine and used 3/4 inch pine wood trim , painted it to match than used wood screws to infall

it was very inexpensive and easy to use , just make sure to pre drill holes in wood before using screws to prevent splitting , this also prevented the fabric from getting caught in screws and twisting and pulling threads of fabric

but don't think anything would do a better job , easy to mitre corners and make fit perfect .

totally suggest this method !!!
ps i used stainless red robbie screws, look shiny and last for ever:)

and my 72'S!!!!!

1972 beetle sedan almost original

1972 westfalia current project, and loving it!!!
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

no the velcro tpye that sticks to it self , it has no adhesive , you use it like the plastic , staple thru it
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I used the cove baseboard busdaddy suggested. Its almost identical to stock. I was able to staple it with a hand stapler and a hammer.
brainwash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

GoWesty sells one...
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23811

Here's what they say about theirs:
What is Tack Strip?
When it comes time to replace the pop top tent on your 1968-84 Westfalia Camper, you will need to get yourself a roll of this tack strip. The upper edges of these earlier tents were "sandwiched" in between a plastic strip and a wood insert and then stapled in place. While you can certainly re-use the original tack strip, it looks much nicer to replace it with new tack strip so you do not end up with old staple holes showing.

Install tip:
Our aftermarket tack strip is not identical to the original, but it is very close and works nicely. It is a little more brittle than the original, so if you are using a pneumatic stapler, be sure to turn the pressure down to avoid cracks as the staple penetrates it. Staple size is also very important. Take one of the original staples and match is as closely as you can at your local hardware store.

Sold in a 26.25 foot roll. This length is sufficient to install one tent.
Reviveourhomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

I ended up using the long 12' strips of Velcro with no adhesive as a strip. The Velcro is about an inch wide and used a stapler. Worked great!
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop tack strip alternative? Reply with quote

This is what I used. Perfect! Used a hand stapler.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-100-ft-Plastic-Hanger-Strap-339272/202078153
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: