Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My syncro westy: 3 months so far with LOTS of pics.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and inspiring thread! Plus, we had a very cool canyon wall house at 4th ave & City Creek Canyon back in the 80's, so your pics bring back lots of memories.

Since you seem to have a lot of fabrication ability mixed with a fair amount of that OG Original Germanic "it's got to be exactly right" spirit, you might get some inspiration (or decide it's simply easier to buy it) from the beautiful syncro & vanagon bits at:

http://www.syncro-werkstatt.de/MRB-Fahzeugtechnik.htm

Halterwinkel 251 611 823C für den Bremsschlauch am syncro vorne in Edelstahl
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Halter für Unterdruckdose für Sperrenbetätigung (Diff Lock Actuator Bracket T3 front and rear)

Kanister aus VA by MRB für 12Liter Benzin, Diesel oder Wasser abschließbar, leicht zu tragen, passend in 14", 15" und 16"
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Wow, nice work, on everything!

Too cool w/ the sticker and new dash lights! What kind of paper/product did you use to print that sticker? What is weeding a sticker? Cutting? If you cut that w/ a knife, Wow x10! LOL My head light decal (or is it paint?) is worn off and I'd been thinking about using some oil paint to fill in the lines again, but was worried I'd just make a mess of it...

Wonder why the Canadian Vanagons don't have an O2 sensor?

Thanks Tam, and keep up the work you have been doing too! I don't know why they didn't have an O2 sensor light (you should still have an O2 sensor, at least mine did). Probably federally regulated like the extension cord pull out for shore power.

I used a sticker die cutter to make my glow plug sticker. the stock ones are actually see through and that's the down side to my setup, I might do it right later... Check out this thread for a little more info: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573133&highlight=dash+wiring

sanchius wrote:
Great and inspiring thread! Plus, we had a very cool canyon wall house at 4th ave & City Creek Canyon back in the 80's, so your pics bring back lots of memories.

Since you seem to have a lot of fabrication ability mixed with a fair amount of that OG Original Germanic "it's got to be exactly right" spirit, you might get some inspiration (or decide it's simply easier to buy it) from the beautiful syncro & vanagon bits at:

http://www.syncro-werkstatt.de/MRB-Fahzeugtechnik.htm

Kanister aus VA by MRB für 12Liter Benzin, Diesel oder Wasser abschließbar, leicht zu tragen, passend in 14", 15" und 16"

Thanks, City Creek is pretty popular now with the new mall that was built! I just found out about HRB a couple months ago and love their stuff! I have been thinking about a spare fuel can like that too, that's just one of the reasons I mounted my tires inside out. I'm likely going to Germany next year and have plans to visit as many vendors as possible!

I'm also highly considering taking the van on a boat ride over there for Syncro30, at least most of the big money has already been spent on the car!! Now to save for trips Very Happy
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Hans. You're Da Man!! Looking forward to doing some good riding with you again. Wife and I are planning to attend Buses by the Bridge in January, ya coming?
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add a couple pics so these are out of chronological order...

rear spring setup mocked up

I think I could have moved the lower perch back slightly but not too much. I need to get a gopro under there and drive around to watch and see if pivots are even needed.

Trasharoo!

I always end up picking up someone elses trash while camping and it always went inside (where the extension cable was). Now I can keep it outside! Will be nice to haul firewood in too.

kryptkat wrote:
Looking good Hans. You're Da Man!! Looking forward to doing some good riding with you again. Wife and I are planning to attend Buses by the Bridge in January, ya coming?

Definitely soon! Not sure I'll be able to make BBB, taking a week off work to make syncrofest and syncro solstice! My other time off will likely be spent in Germany Cool
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I have so much to add to this thread and so little time.

Cliff Notes are as follows: Trans is awesome. I got 27.5 mpg on a 2300 mile trip to Oregon and California. Cruise control is awesome. These parts came in the mail and will be installed soon: Donaldson Top Spin, 800w inverter, 80/100 light bulbs, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff...

I'm building some of the fancy European roof rack artificial rain gutters that go further down and rest in the steel rain gutter. Girlfriend bought a touring kayak so we will be doing water oriented trips now too Smile

Winter is half over which means it's getting warmer. I still don't have a cabin heater but found out if you tuck a blanket in the top bunk and drape it down over the bottom bed it keeps it warmer while sleeping!

I'm trying to figure out how I can get the time off to send my syncro to Europe for the Syncro 30 event in Graz Austria Very Happy

And I've updated my blog a little bit but still have a couple trips to add. http://hansallover.wordpress.com/
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the AA tranny doing since you got it installed?

Matt should be building mine this week and hopefully I get in installed by Valentines weekend. I paid for the aluminum gear carrier and aluminum main housing along with the inside oil plates, new main shaft, and other goodies to prolong it's life.

That will be my wifes "roses and chocolates" in that shipping box! Don't tell her though. Shocked

Unreal the mileage you are getting with the diesel. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What R&P are you running?

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trans has been great! There was a little more debris than I would have liked to have seen during my first oil change for being a brand new unit, but there was also machining involved inside. The pump and filter is high on my list of items to buy, especially before the heat of summer.

I am running the stock 4.86 r+p with 215/75-15 tires. I wish we had an even lower, low range for crawling without sacrificing top speed. Oh well, it still does everything I ask of it Smile
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
trans has been great! There was a little more debris than I would have liked to have seen during my first oil change for being a brand new unit, but there was also machining involved inside. The pump and filter is high on my list of items to buy, especially before the heat of summer.

I am running the stock 4.86 r+p with 215/75-15 tires. I wish we had an even lower, low range for crawling without sacrificing top speed. Oh well, it still does everything I ask of it Smile

While mine is on the build bench this week is there anything that you would suggest I have done?

I am also 4.86 with 215/75/15 tires. My previous trans build papers states that a taller 3rd and 4th were installed. But I am a little high geared for the Utah canyon passes and want to go back to stock gears. Is that what you run?

I am at 58mph in 4th gear at 3000 RPM GPS checked. Is that a stock 4th?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 1.18 3rd and 0.73 4th installed since the TDI doesn't like higher RPM. When I had stock gearing I could pull Parleys in 4th gear at about 60mph, but with the taller gearing I can't without my EGT's getting too high.

According to a speed calculator, yours looks is really close to a stock 4th gear. http://www.scirocco.org/gears/ and syncro gear chart here http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/Te...os%205.htm

I drove around for quite some time on stock gearing with the TDI and it was just too short for comfortable freeway driving. Now I can drive it at nearly 75mph with the same rpm as I was driving 63mph or so.

If I had a gas engine, I don't think I would change ratios at all unless I went with giant tires (then change r+p).
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got a couple new neat things built and working on more!

First off I finally got my front CV boot protectors built. Alistar, you totally won... It only took me a year to finish them! Initial thought is they are going to get in the way of what I was thinking of doing for my swaybar disconnects, soooo that design might change. Other than that, I'm into them about $20 in stainless steel (with lots left over!) and I used an old rubber floor mat from a Mk3 golf as the rubber. I think I'm going to change that out for something else, someday.

Next up I finally got my artificial rain gutters made! I met a guy who works at a metal fab shop while working on another project (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1884724272/pianobike/posts. Anyway, he has a 90 ton metal brake in the shop and all sorts of other awesome tools I don't have. So a couple of hours, $30 for 11 gauge stainless steel and a $30 bottle of whiskey turned into these:

The stainless mounting hardware cost as much as it did to make them Rolling Eyes
But when you mount all 6, it's awesome and will hold anything (2 kayaks) without flexing the top. Plus I've only seen the European vans with these, so I feel a little special. I also wanted to integrate a shovel holder into it, and it seems to be working pretty good too!

With roof rack and shovel attached:

I have another slot for a hoe or another shovel in the rack, I still need to get stuck to see if I want to tote one around...

Now I'm really excited about this next one. Ever since I have gotten into the $yncro world, I've loved the look and functionality of a cyclone pre-filter snorkel. I used a Donaldson Top Spin #H00243. It flows 200 CFM and has a 3" outlet. Note: Be sure to calculate your engine CFM to make sure it will work for you. I'm right on the edge with this one, but the next size up is a bit larger, and I like this size. Then I used about 9 pieces of 3" of random steel tube I found around the shop and TIG welded them all together (I have since added 1.5" on the top to raise it away from the rain gutter, I didn't want water to get sucked up into it). The 3" made it nice to fit on to my existing snorkel tube to the air filter I already built, but 3" does NOT fit nicely behind the grill... Lots of modifications ensued...

This photo has the extra 1.5" added.

Other minor things are I installed these neat little guys:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=200. I also got the Blue Sea dual USB outlet for the dashboard from them too. Just a little cheaper than the price on Amazon Smile
I got my inverter at least mounted in place, but not wired yet. I'll post pics when done with that one.
I've also been tidying up other stuff in the van, getting ready for summer trips. It's nice to have most of the big stuff done.

Upcoming projects:
Dual rate, remote reservoir coilovers for the front Cool I'll find out in the next couple of weeks if it works! Lots of time in research for this one. Springs are ordered and parts are being machined. But learning about suspension geometry, it's amazing how well the syncro was set up from the factory! Full weight, mine is only about 100 pounds different front to rear and the cross weight is almost perfect. My total weight, fully loaded and full of fuel is 5250 pounds, just over the GVWR of 2340 KG (5158 pounds) in the door jamb. That's with a TDI, diesel fuel and dual spares on the back! Roadhaus lists 5512 pounds for the syncro westy? I'll post up photos and most of the specs when it's done.
I'm also shortening the valve cover and other things in the engine compartment finally. I'm over sleeping on the tall box and want to do something similar to what Stephans AutoHaus does with the 1.8T engine lid. I'm pretty sure I can make it all fit under there, and it will add back insulation too. This is my long term project to get done.

That's all I can think of right now. I've been checking things off my list pretty regularly and it's pretty much ready to go anywhere in the world at a moments notice! Now to just find more time off...
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Hans! I just ran a crossed this thread. We need to get a group and get out more, if we can just get the time off work? Rolling Eyes

I too am looking to get a cold air intake mounted up on mine. Yours turned out very nice.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

Link

Hans, just reading your build-thread linked through your sig for the first time. Love it so far!
Is the music in the above video from Ani DiFranco? If not, who is it? Love it!

Wishing you a Happy New Year, and hope to eventually meet you when visiting family in SLC!

Cheers,
Brian.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My syncro westy: 3 months so far with LOTS of pics. Reply with quote

Nice build thread. I learned some useful tricks. On to my Passat front brake swap.
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

Am I the only one who feels like this?

HA! I feel like this 100% and all I've done is try to un-MacGuyver untold previous owner screw-ups & keep my relatively stock '84 Westy on the road, let alone do any modifications to it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: