Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently bought this Germany NOS decklid 211 827 085 G.
It looked to be 67 and fits fine on my 67 westfalia..however the backside top where the bulb holder for the license plate is supposed to be has a different shapes and it's flat with no hole for the bulb holder.
I also tried to fit a later bay window license plate bulb holder that gets installed from the outside but it doesn't fit either..I'm lost..
What do I have here?
Thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

If you look next to the light hole, there should be an indentation for the screws, on both sides. Probably just filled with primer.

How much did you pay for the lid?
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Wow, very cool!

Can't be too many NOS deck lids out there any more. Good score.
Sorry, can't help with the licence plate light hole....
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

late bay (72-) are longer than early bay license plate lights. what year light did you try?

looks like a 68-71 light would work

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
late bay (72-) are longer than early bay license plate lights. what year light did you try?

looks like a 68-71 light would work

Thanks for the reply ..The bulb holder I tried could be adapted but definitely not the right one and should be for a 73..

The weird thing is that I have never seen this before and didn't know that there was a transition bulb holder shared from split and bay window models..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

I have the same deck lid and the normal license plate light bulb/lens fits fine. There is no problem
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I have the same deck lid and the normal license plate light bulb/lens fits fine. There is no problem

Chris if you look inside there is no place for the bulb holder ...no hole or indentation..i Have a 66 and a 67 westfalia and the shape of the inside top is different..the lens outside is probably the same but the bulb holder must be the style like the bay window bus have with bulb holder attached to lens..maybe the early bay style like somebody mentioned..
I have never seen the same stamping before..look at pics of the inside top part..
Berf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

delx23, I have a '67 bus with a decklid that has only the outside rectangular opening with 2 screw holes one slightly off-center. I suspect that the 68-71 light assembly may be what is supposed to be there. I removed a home-made bracket clogged with silicone & wire ties with bits and pieces from the earlier split bus light hardware. If you peruse the UK web sites that sell VW parts, the 211943161D is listed as the late 67 to 71 application. I can let this thread know in about 4 days if this is so.

Gary
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Berf wrote:
delx23, I have a '67 bus with a decklid that has only the outside rectangular opening with 2 screw holes one slightly off-center. I suspect that the 68-71 light assembly may be what is supposed to be there. I removed a home-made bracket clogged with silicone & wire ties with bits and pieces from the earlier split bus light hardware. If you peruse the UK web sites that sell VW parts, the 211943161D is listed as the late 67 to 71 application. I can let this thread know in about 4 days if this is so.

Gary

Thanks Gary
Berf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Well I received the new WW license light and it doesn't seem to fit. The clear cover lens and gasket fit fine, but the light bangs into the cavity. I tried tweaking the metal bracket that is riveted onto the lens, but no joy. My bus is a March 1967 production date. It looks like I'll have to fabricate something. Unless someone is kind enough to post a couple of pics of what is really supposed to be in there. Looks like we may be inf the same boat on this one.

Gary
Berf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Well, I lied. It looks like it will fit:

I put some RTV on the back side of the bulb contact hoop as this is pretty close to the sheet metal on the inside of the lid. And I had to use some nut-clips to repair the wallowed out holes for the 2 screws. Exacto knife for trimming pockets to make room for the nut-clips.

Gary
Berf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 N.O.S. decklid but licence plate light is odd Reply with quote

Oh, and I had to trim the nut-clips down about 4mm (approx 3/16") in length so they won't stick out from under the gasket. Not that this bus isn't ugly already...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: