Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did somebody cut my oil pan?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
totallynotmelgibson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

Doing a rebuild, and posted once in the stupid question thread about possible case damage a while ago. This time I believe I'm less crazy to suspect something weird.

When I was replacing the gasket around my oil pan, it was a real pain to get out. Turns out whomever was last in there before me coated the oil pan gasket in RTV when they installed it. But then I noticed this absurd looking cut on the bottom of the oil pan (see pic). It doesn't look like normal casing marks to me, so if it's not, what the heck is it??? Why would someone cut into the engine like this??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

Your picture is so big it's really hard to tell what it is.

Rolling Eyes
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

It seems as though there were subtle casting differences, these are images
of an 1800cc '74 case from the reverse angle, they made the channel from the cam/distributor timing chamber a different size through the years.
Spark plug tossed in for scale. :O
That gash looks factory-done.

totallynotmelgibson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

Ok...There's nothing I can do about it, so I guess I'm not overly concerned, but it looked crazy to me.

For others reference, pic is looking up into the oil pan hole from the rear and towards the front of engine on 1/2 side
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

That's where the taco plate goes isn't it?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Did somebody cut my oil pan? Reply with quote

They used a screwdriver that they drove in with a hammer because some idiot permatexed the previous gasget that's why the RTV as it will leak otherwise. RTV justs peels off so use it or you will leak.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: