Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

800°C Exhaust Gas Temperature!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: 800°C Exhaust Gas Temperature!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

As above, nearly 800°C. Oil temp 85°C, water under 90°C, boost 5 bar max.
The EGT drops quickly from 600°C to 350°C (at 900 rpm) then takes 5 seconds to drop from 350 to below 300.

Pump timing .95mm
Engine "SB" from a GTD Golf.

Any ideas?
Ta.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Don't drive it.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Good idea!
Have you got any others?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Where are you measuring the EGTs? If this is at full load then 800°F doesn't sound that hot to me.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

in the exhaust manifold where it meets the turbo [800deg centigrade!].
I'm surprised its so high as the max fuel screw still has the tamper proof coller on.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

800C = 1472F

That's way too high for my comfort. Under what circumstances are you seeing this high of EGT? Are you sure the gauge is accurate? Your high oil temps may indicate that the pyrometer is indeed telling some sort of story about excessive heat in the engine

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the 800° was Centigrade, yes that would be awfully hot.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

85 c too hot?it was 130c before I fitted an oil cooler!
700 to 800c is in top gear up hill,i change down to third gear to bring the temp down of course.
ps I used a test meter to check that egt gauge is correct.

Last edited by dave Friday on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Hi -- I don't know that it is a problem -- perhaps others can share what they would expect.

I fly airplanes that run on gasoline. 1450F is a normal temperature at TIT, Turbo inlet temperature. CHTs are much more important than EGTs because they cool very quickly and it depends on where you measure them from.
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

dave Friday wrote:
Hi all,as above nearly 800 deg c ..oil temp 85 c water under90 c boost.5 bar max
The EGT drops quickly from 600 c to 350 c (at 900 rpm) then takes 5 seconds to drop from350 to below 300
Pump timing .95mm
Engine "sb" from a gtd golf.
Any ideas?
Ta.

I think your boost pressure is kind of low. That's only about 7 psi. A GTD Golf would run closer to 1 bar boost pressure stock, IIRC.

If you crank up your boost pressure, I would bet your EGT drops to more like 675*C in the same circumstances.

Boost cools EGT in a turbodiesel.

edit - I bet you have a pretty smoky exhaust at full go pedal, right? I suspect you're overfueled, relative to your boost pressure.

You haven't said what kind of turbo is on this thing, but there are a couple of simple ways to cheat the peak pressure up higher, depending on what you have. Either you can play with the wastegate setting right on the turbo, or install an external boost controller valve or "bleed". They all basically cheat the wastegate diaphragm from seeing the full amount of pressure built by the turbo, so the wastegate opens at higher pressure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for oil temps, 85*C isn't even hot enough to boil the water condensation out of the oil, so I'd say that was fine.

Free advice, worth every cent, YMMV, etc.

Last edited by Witless Joe on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

above 1600°F you have to expect engine damage. 1450°F sounds reasonable under full load.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Thanks all,off to catch a 'plane to the UK.
Will type later.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Well...the EGT probe/sensor failed,so I fitted the(exposed tip )sensor that I had been meaning to fit ..
Guess what? EGT now max 450/500 deg c!
Lesson learnt.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Neato! This is nomination #2 for bump of the month. Very Happy Thanks for the follow-up. Did you have a good visit to the UK?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Thanks Jim ,yes it's nice to visit the uk but I wouldn't want to live there(anymore )
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Hi all,well the exposed tip EGT sensor failed! So I replaced it but,the exposed tip sensor reads about 250 deg c higher than the enclosed type sensor
Tested by sticking them ( sensors ) in the Gas ring..
Kr.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

I suggest that you are overfueled, possibly because you are not getting enough boost or maybe your oxygen sensor is fouled, or both. My AAZ really gets hot EGT at high elevations when it is overfueling. Apparently the hydrocarbons combust in an oxygen deficit and produce no power but a lot of exhaust heat. 800c is about the max for safety, so take it easy.
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Hi Gnarlodious and thanks for the advice,I did adjust the wastegate to get the boost up a bit...a month ago I replaced the turbo( £200 Chinese ,looks good )the van runs as it normally does but the EGT sensor is faulty 1.3k ohms between element and casing!
Now the EGT is just over 600deg c ( foot to the floor up hill in third or top gear!)
I now need to repair my boost gauge,and check that the EGT gauge is reading ok( with my new meter)
Kr,Baz
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Neato! This is nomination #2 for bump of the month. Very Happy Thanks for the follow-up. Did you have a good visit to the UK?

No,it rained mainly on the plane.

Most of the instruments sold into these markets are junk with 50% tolerances or worse
dave Friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 deg c egt!! (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Reply with quote

Abscate hi,I agree about the quality? Of the gauges etc,EGT sensors ( the cheap ones ) don't last long..
What I have found is that a £10 multimeter with a temperature setting works well as a EGT gauge,possibily for other sensors..
We live in the mountains at 2350 ft and get some interesting weather,
When the rain in Spain is falling mainly on the plains,up here it's raining golf ball sized hail,dents in your car!! This time of year it's 40 deg c a lot..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: