Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

look at my bus that I got from the mountains:)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is a nice looking bus for being outside 29 years. I am assuming the pictures are after you have cleaned it up and buffed it. Love to see a picture of how it stood when you found it. Put any trans you want in it.. Just don't slam it
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
a1steaksauce wrote:

naysayers are funny...but then again they probably think that lowering is a fad that will go away Laughing

Lowering IS a fad that WILL go away ; just like one piece windows..... Twisted Evil

And owning a bus is a fad too, I hear owning a type 6 is all the rage these days. Cool
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) nice find
2) I'll trade my garage for yours
3) you are being flamed because you are in the Baywindow forum ( you need some thick skin around here).

I've heard of T-1 trannys in a Bay people who have them seem to like them. What is the average longevity of such a swap? The bus trans needs to be able to handle torque to move it's weight. Do you plan on telling people " I can't help you move or take your family to the airport, I can only drive with one passenger the other 5 or 6 of you are screwed". Don't get me wrong, I really hope it works for a long time as I can tell you are set with your plan. Best wishes, I'll be watching.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a beatiful 68 bus that i located for him. All stock restored biegh in color sweet bus. He told me a story about how a friend asked him to take him to the airport he drives very conservative he looked back and saw about 30 cars behind him then when he kind of slowed down, when he did this in two people passed him on the right because he was going so slow now thats funny stuff he feels 55 is plenty fast as he hears that motor winding. Cool I myself travel alone a quite alot cruizing with the traffic however when I do haul stuff I know when to use the gears I know when the conditions warrant it to drive appropriately not to cook my motor. I build all of my own engines clearencing, deck heights, compression , valve jobs spring pressure etc. So im not to in a hurry to hurt them. Some people like a bullet proof bus which they think they cant hurt, however when they do blow up from too many rrrrrs RPM = ruins people's money or motor they wonder why. My skin is getting thicker. Several people with the conversion seem to like it. No one has even asked what it entails...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodgersbadassbus64 wrote:
. No one has even asked what it entails...

"I'll be watching" somewhat implies the assumption that you might show us.
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus Rodger. My 69 also came from the mountains (mineral King). Yours looks a lot better than mine. I do not want to flame you for going with the bug transmission, but will just relate a story from this weekend.

I was doing some backpacking along the Pacific Crest Trail at Sonora Pass.
Stopped by Kennedy Meadows on my way home for a cold drink and a snack. While there I ran into some through-hikers on their way to Canada who needed a lift back up to the trail head (10 miles going from 6300 to 9600 ft. with grades of 26%). My Chico built TM1914 and a Rancho 002 with a taller third pulled all six of us up that grade with no problem (BTW, mines a camper). I figure the 5 extra people (two gals three guys) with a fresh resupply averaged an easy 200 lbs. a piece. So I hauled an extra 1000 lbs. up that ridiculous grade without having to worry about straining parts (like bus transmissions and CV joints). I didn't build my bus to haul those loads, but it was great that it could do it.

I suppose if you're never going to do anything other than tool around town, it will work great, but I want to actually use me bus.

YMMV and it is your bus so do what you want (I am sure you will), but we all here just want to give some input.

Either way nice bus find.
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time. Source the correct parts. You and your bus will be happier. It's already a miracle that 60 some hp will push a bus.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooledguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find! Glad to know you're enjoying your bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: 1303 bug box in a bay Reply with quote

Step 1. Get a transmission with super beetle mount with 3 bolt hole, the lower bolt will go into the original bracket.
2. Cut original bay bracket with a modified V shape to clear the nosecone webbing make a pattern and drill remaining two holes. Get 3 3/8 x 2" bolts and nuts. I used collets for spacers 1/2.
3.shift shaft extension i cut up a bug one and welded it to the original bus shift coupler.
4.lower your bus one outside spline in the back this way your original axels will be the correct length when cv joints from a bug or rabbit are exchanged on one end of the halfshafts.
5. Change cv joints for the transmission side of half shafts with bug or rabbit cv's.
6. Change clutch cable and bowden tube. Modify old bowden tube by removing the longer pointed end which normally goes into the tranny bracket. Cut off about 19 mm off of the long end this will increase the length of Bowden about 17 mm And go on the stub of the bus first before the new Bowden tube.

rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I refurbished the halfshafts I purchased 2 lobro boot kits from Van Cafe in California they come with two splined washers wich I used on the bug side cv's this spaced the cv's to the correct width once the c clip was in place. I already had two new bug boots on hand.

I also removed my bellypan it was totally filled with nut shells and mouse droppings. I was dreading this but with respirator and gloves I went at it with a 4 inch grinder with a massive wire brush and painted the inside grey after cleaning up.
While there I removed and also changed accelerator cable. The cable was crusty so I chucked the carb end into my drill while moving in and out motion. Blew out with compressor. I also had to use penatrating oil on peddle assembly, greased everything up and it is now moving freely.
The clutch pedal arm that the cable attaches to was almost warn through so my friend steve was able to weld it back up good as new and redrill a new hole. Lubed everything up while there. Working smoothly.
Saturday night I went internet shopping at Bus Depot ...seat covers, carpet, window rubbers for four side windows, the back and windshield along with other items...$1000.00 bucks with shipping ouch. I even cleaned up the garage Rolling Eyes
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my bus that I got from the mountains:) Reply with quote

I have been working on this for to long.Finally getting close. I drove it around the block the other day. Very Happy
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my bus that I got from the mountains:) Reply with quote

Looks nice and all, but please tell me that wasn't an original paint Deluxe Bus (71?) you started with….

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...BTW no one has even said nice find...this bus is original paint non wrecked no rust excep a quarter spot in battery tray.

Apparently it indeed was. But the OP seems to march to a distinctly different drummer...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
...BTW no one has even said nice find...this bus is original paint non wrecked no rust excep a quarter spot in battery tray.

Apparently it indeed was. But the OP seems to march to a distinctly different drummer...

Pretty rich comin from a guy that cuts an extra door into a RHD bay double cab!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

zing!

I just can't believe all the hate here...from different engine/trans conversions to whatever other mod is deemed "not cool" I personally go for stock, solid correct bodies....the mechanicals can be moved around pretty easily to go back to stock...

and not for nothing....most survivor buses are in the 8-12K range...a price that very few are willing to write a check for. so, who really gives a shit if it's been painted? it's his bus and a very respectable looking one at that.

some folks need to look in the mirror and start to practice what they preach

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

Oh, I'm not hating on him. I like that green, and it's a hoot to have matching splitty and bay.

I was just pointing out that the original paint train has left the station in this case.

Now, if it were me... I'd always keep as much original stuff as possible, including paint, for any bus that I ever intended to restore or resell. The RHD double cab is s different animal, in that I intend to never sell it, so I make it just exactly what I want. Which is a 4-door DC.

OP, sorry to have participated in the hijacking of your thread. Carry on...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: look at my bus that I got from the mountains:) Reply with quote

Your door panel is the best use of the backside of a political sign I've ever seen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my bus that I got from the mountains:) Reply with quote

I drove it around the block the other day. Very Happy

Sweet looking bus! That paint came out really nice.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: look at my bus that I got from the mountains:) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Your door panel is the best use of the backside of a political sign I've ever seen.

Sorry, I disagree. The very best use for that stuff is as an emergency creeper. I try to always travel with a piece. Laid in mud, my back stays dry. It is slippery so my lard ass can move lithely around under subject repair vehicle.
I BRAKE for discarded political yard signs!
Second best is as a door card.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: