Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Just got back from Baja yesterday and I am trying to register. When I click on registration to add it to the cart it says "Out of Stock" and will not add my registration to the cart. Any suggestions?
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Just got back from Baja yesterday and I am trying to register. When I click on registration to add it to the cart it says "Out of Stock" and will not add my registration to the cart. Any suggestions?

Choose a different Volunteer option. It looks like the one you are trying for is full.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

It worked. I'm now registered. Syncro Solstice here I come, WahHoo!!!
mtbiker62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested in a run down Cataract Canyon either before or after SS this year, they're expecting highest flows mid May thru mid June up to 50,000CFM. Read here: https://www.oars.com/blog/best-whitewater-rafting-2016/
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

I have to share a story from SS 2 years ago.
My friend Tom and I had a big day of biking. We paid for a shuttle to the top of Porcupine Rim (actually started a couple or three sections uphill of the standard start). Wore us out. Took a nap in a park. Then tried to ride slickrock. Only made it to the loop and turned around. We aren't beginners and have both ridden these trails before but thought we did pretty good.

At camp, we stopped to talk to a guy with a sweet hightop/poptop Syncro. After admiring his rig, I noticed he had a bike there as well. We asked what he rode. He says, "Porcupine Rim."
"Oh, us too! Where did you start?"
He replies, "Here."
I did't think he understood so I repeat my question.
"Here."

Turns out this guy started at the F'in campground, peddled to town, peddled what we shuttled, peddled Porcupine, then peddled back to camp! Camp is a long way from town! The shuttle took us an hour in an E350!

Some people just don't know how to have fun.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
mtbiker62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

-d,
Hope to see you back this year. I think you'll enjoy both the number/variety and accessibility of all the new trails right at Lone Mesa, our campground.
Bob
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Just registered. Website was simple to navigate. This will be our first Syncro Solstice and first time visiting Moab. I plan on getting our 2wd very dusty. Going to be epic...

I do need some advise though. We are considering leaving our 2 Dobermans at home, even though they normally camp with us. The challenge is what to do with them if we go hiking. If we can see the cool sights from the windshield it would be fine. But when we went to Zion, the best sights were seen on foot. Zion wasn't a place to take a dog.

Moab looks like it lends itself to windshield tours. What about Arches and Canyonlands?

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
mtbiker62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

There were 26 dogs there last year, so volks found ways to do the spectacular scenic drives (which there are lots of) and the hiking destination hikes. You may have already gotten this but I'll insert a Discover Moab link to hiking advice:
http://www.discovermoab.com/hiking.htm
Notice the "Pet Friendly Trails" notes on the right side of that page, just down from the top. Notice that none of those trails are in Arches NP.
I think lots of people were able to leave their animals either at one of the covered dining table areas (5, one at each of the 5 designated campgrounds on Lone Mesa), and others at their vehicles, restrained, with water, the vehicle for shade, as long as their jaunt wasn't very long.
Almost all of the spectacular trail drives we have gone on are of the windshield type, but all have good views at break spots, where people let their animals out for "breaks".
mtbiker62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

By the way Tim, all those dogs (most of them) were off leash at the campground. They seem to find their "pecking order" in about 5-10 minutes, then the aggressive, barking, nipping stops and they play/run like there is no tomorrow. I think walking them around to the various other dogs and making intro's is probably helpful.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Turns out this guy started at the F'in campground, peddled to town, peddled what we shuttled, peddled Porcupine, then peddled back to camp! Camp is a long way from town! The shuttle took us an hour in an E350.

I have a buddy who did that same ride, except his freewheel stuck a mile down the Porcupine's Rim. At that point hne had to spin the whole way down the 'pine's Rim. To understand this....he could not stop pedaling period or the derailleur winds up... and all the way back to town too. I think he said it was 35 miles ?? He is NOT a serious rider, just a 43yo regular MTBer. But he has a Eurovan Westy.

Moab is cool!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

mtbiker62 wrote:
I think you'll enjoy both the number/variety and accessibility of all the new trails right at Lone Mesa, our campground.
Bob

The trails that run right past the camp site are pretty damn nice! I rode a spur out and back with my wife last year - slickrock, sand, fun... Right from camp!

The trails make a loop that you could start/end at camp

Good stuff

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

mtbiker62 wrote:
By the way Tim, all those dogs (most of them) were off leash at the campground. They seem to find their "pecking order" in about 5-10 minutes, then the aggressive, barking, nipping stops and they play/run like there is no tomorrow. I think walking them around to the various other dogs and making intro's is probably helpful.

That is why I want to bring them, my dogs would have a blast, and I would enjoy watching them. Thanks for the input.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

It was Kwilks first time last year. She left her dogs ( normally takes them everywhere like us) and the first thing she said when she returned and was asked about the trip " I should have brought the dogs, there were like 40 of them and they were having a ball"!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Please just be mindful of where your dog poops. Nothing less awesome than stepping in something and then getting in your van...

And remember the camp parking lot is gravel, you might want some dog booties. Also make sure they have plenty of water and shade!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

We always bring our dogs wherever we can, they are part of our family, but we are very mindful of those who are not "Dog" people. We camped near some on other trips and were reminded that dogs must be leashed in BLM campgrounds.

It might be a good thing for us to at least keep track of our pets so other Syncro Solstice patrons, and their kids, do not have all the random playful visits.

I too agree that cleaning up after our pets in a public place is good dog owner etiquette.

Here is some good info to keep our pets safe:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/dogs.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

I wish my neighbors kids were as behaved as my dogs.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Last year we brought our cat, but since she doesn't like being around all the dogs, my wife camped with her up at Horsetheif CG, just up the road a couple of miles. She's a great camp cat, just spent two and a half months in Baja with us.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow. The event this year is looking incredible! We will fill the campground again. Lots of new trails and adventures and incredible planning from Hans, Jarnecke and Teerlink.

More and more people are proposing new trips they want to lead out into the desert this year, which is rad. We have so many incredible Vanagon folks that come year after year, each of them venturing farther out to new places. The collective area and trail knowledge is just amazing, always expanding...it seems to grow exponentially. This will be a big, big year for exploring new trails, canyons, and afternoon delights, including rocks, dinosaurs, wine, arches, caves, sand dunes, buttes, mesas, great food and the most wonderful folks you can imagine.

Submitting final numbers for swag items by the end of the week. Please get your registration in by Thursday night to make sure you have a spot, and the cool swag that comes with it. I can't order any items besides shirts and hoodies after Friday morning. So whether or not you have cool items included in your registration is purely guesswork after that. OK, back to the planning board...see you all soon.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Please just be mindful of where your dog poops.

Maybe I'll feed my dogs something to turn their poop purple, that way we'll know if it was them... Laughing

A friend of mine with a (gasp!) Ford van wants to tag along on this trip with his family, as they've never been to this side of Utah either. Is there somewhere close by, or the far side of the camp site he would be able to use? Mark is willing to sign up for SS if it is allowed.

I could always find new friends... probably should. Damn Ford drivers. Although he does own a beautiful '56 Oval Ragtop Bug. Think

'74 Jeep CJ5
mtbiker62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Solstice 2016, May 19-22 Reply with quote

It won't be the only Ferd there if he decides to attend.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: