Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Basilari 306R Stance...
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NomadKGNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

I'm sure many of you are aware of the 'Basilari 306R' being built by CoolRydes So-Cal Customs. If not, here is a link: it's a '58 Lowlight with a Subaru 3.0 H6.

http://www.basilari.com

My question: how did they get the 17x8's to fit without rubbing (they say it will turn lock-to-lock without rubbing) while keeping the car lowered (about 2" best I can tell), and having the track width so wide (wheels are nearly flush with fender lip). I assume they have rolled the inner fender lip -but what else? Did they do some minor flaring by applying pressure to the inner fender? Or did they cut the wheel arches to make more room? If they did- it was very subtle...

Any help is much appreciated - I just want to know how they got that stance!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

They adjust the steering stops so it doesn't rub. Then they can say it turns "lock to lock" without rubbing.
The better question is, "what is the turning radius"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NomadKGNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Huh....I just did a brief search, seems you're right - a few people have commented that they've lost steering travel. Any idea on how much? How much does the turning radius increase? I assume it will still turn in normal traffic conditions, but I'm also sure it won't handle an SCCA auto cross anymore either...
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Here's a picture from their website. Nothing between the front wheels looks remotely VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Going off on a tangent, the website shows a photo of a clutch tunnel access panel (http://www.basilari.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/chassis-tunnel-clutch-setup.jpg) where they have cut a rectangular hole and installed tabs so it can be replaced with four screws. This may be convenient but cutting a large hole in the spine of the chassis and not welding it back up has got to remove a lot of strength!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

OK, so here you have a 300hp Lowlight that's barely driveable 'cause it's slammed to the ground and probably rides stiff as a buckboard. I guess it would make an interesting conversation piece for someone's collection, or I suppose it could also be quite the attention grabber on the show circuit.

Instead of sinking a small fortune into all that trick running gear and suspension, I'd rather spend the money on a decent late '60s or early '70s Porsche 911. A bit more pedestrian for sure, but certainly more useful as a car you could conceivably drive every day. And more importantly, it was engineered from the ground up to be a high-performance sports car. Different strokes, I guess... Rolling Eyes
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Wow. Who stuck the sticks up your asses? Y'all sound like the kind of people that bitch because the guy down the block painted his house a color you don't approve of. Rolling Eyes

To the original poster: Kevin, the guy building the car, posts here all the time. I'm sure he'll be glad to answer your questions.

To all the haters, you guys are REALLY gonna hate the Ghia my son and I are building. It'll make your eyes burn with it's utter lack or authenticity or stockness. Hell yeah!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

It's cool, not what I'd do with a ghia but it should be fun. What I notice about builds like this is they they rarely get driven. So that's kind of a shame. However I can appreciate the work and creativity that goes into it.
NomadKGNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I am aware that the car uses a mendeola double a-arm front suspension. I understand, far from stock VW equipment.

I've reached out to Kevin via his CoolRydes Facebook page. He says the clearance is entirely due to "the way the suspension moves." I've asked for more clarification, here is what I said:

[color=blue]I'm assuming I'm talking with Kevin (heard your name used in a few VW circles). - thanks for responding!

With regard to the suspension movement, I understand there are drastic differences between the double wishbone suspension vs the stock torsion beam setup (camber gain under bump being larger on the mendeola setup, which helps create space under the wheel well under bump conditions)
With that said - the front wheels still have to turn and clear the fenders. Obviously kingpin inclination and caster affect how far the leading edge of the tire crosses the plane of the fender while turning; I've also read that your spindles are zero scrub, which helps the wheel pivot about the center of the contact patch. However, your caster inclination seems fairly large, guessing it's about 6.5*, similar to the original 911. This would definitely allow the tire to pivot about an axis further rearward of the fender, allowing more clearance.

All that said - it still has to turn. I've read on some forums that the mendeola setup has less steering rack travel than stock - is there a measure of this? What is the increase in turning radius?

Again, thank you for taking the time to read and respond. If it isn't obvious, I'm pretty interested in how your setup works! [\color]

Hopefully we'll see what he says...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Wow. Who stuck the sticks up your asses?
Never said that I hated that Ghia...lighten up there, John. If someone wants to pour a ton of cash into a trophy-winning show car, more power to 'em. Car shows are full of similar big-money efforts like this. On the other hand, if this is meant to be high-performance road car, I'm sorry, but it's like trying to turn a New Beetle into a Porsche Carrera GT. Far too many compromises to be practical.

Lo Cash John wrote:
To all the haters, you guys are REALLY gonna hate the Ghia my son and I are building.
Hope you & your son are enjoying yourselves. Be sure to post some pics when you're done...can't wait to see what you came up with.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
NomadKGNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

Heard back from CoolRydes just now. In essence, they explained that the fenders have been rolled to fit the 17x8s used on the Basilari 306R. They also explained that some of their kits are limited in rack travel based on wheel sizing. However, they also mentioned that 205/50r17s can be run on a narrower rim without limiting the rack travel and with the correct wheel offset.

I don't know about you guys, but 205 section tires are plenty for a Ghia to perform on a road coarse.

Kevin - if you read this, thanks for the feedback!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

No updates on the Basilari blog -

- looks like it may have become an objet d'art...

bnc
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

NomadKGNM wrote:
...... they explained that the fenders have been rolled to fit the 17x8s used on the Basilari 306R. They also explained that some of their kits are limited in rack travel based on wheel sizing. However, they also mentioned that 205/50r17s can be run on a narrower rim without limiting the rack travel and with the correct wheel offset.

No mention of what the turning radius is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Basilari 306R Stance... Reply with quote

NomadKGNM wrote:
Heard back from CoolRydes just now. In essence, they explained that the fenders have been rolled to fit the 17x8s used on the Basilari 306R. They also explained that some of their kits are limited in rack travel based on wheel sizing. However, they also mentioned that 205/50r17s can be run on a narrower rim without limiting the rack travel and with the correct wheel offset.

I don't know about you guys, but 205 section tires are plenty for a Ghia to perform on a road coarse.

Kevin - if you read this, thanks for the feedback!

No worries, glad to help.

For All The Haters: As for not being able to be driven in an SCCA event or other road course due to steering issues, there are no issues with our suspension. Turning radius is tighter then a stock beetle turning radius, however there have been a few cars that customers wanted to run larger offsets or wheel packages then the suspension was designed to be used with and this has cause draw backs in their turn.

Our suspension ride better then stock, no more bouncing down the road with the old torsion bars and "performance" shocks. And handing is like a new sports car. If you have not driven one of our Mendeola Suspension equipped cars you don't know what your missing. Anyone that would like to experience how these cars feel and drive, please stop by our shop and go for a test drive in one of our demo cars. You mind will change.

As for high dollar, not! Our complete front and rear suspension kits retail for $5790. That is a lot less then a 2.0L performance engine that only allows you to go fast in a straight line......

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: