Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New owner Hard to shift into first
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skullfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

Took the buggy out for a little spin it was pretty cold out 40ish
It was really hard to shift into first didn't matter if I was taking off or down shifting
No other issues in any other gears

This is my first buggy I was reading up on the problem I read it could be the stop plate or my the cable adjustment.

I haven't checked anything out yet am totally new to this.
Bought the buggy a month ago I was hard to shift when I bought it but the coupler was broke when I test drove it the guy fixed it and it seemed ok on the drive home.
Sense the day I bought it I only drove it once around the block until yesterday.

Any other help would be great.
thx mike
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

Does it shift ok when not running?
Does it grind in reverse?

I would recheck the installation of the coupler
skullfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
Does it shift ok when not running?
Does it grind in reverse?

I would recheck the installation of the coupler

No grinding at all.
No it doesn't shift easy into first not running.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

Check and adjust the angle of the stop plate under the shifter and the coupler for loose set screw
skullfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
Check and adjust the angle of the stop plate under the shifter and the coupler for loose set screw

I see that my shifter is a hurst shifter and has no ball just a flat end going into the shifting rod could that be the problem?
thx a lot for your help.
skullfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:

I take that back the shifter is ok I have no shift plate at all.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

When was the last time the transaxle gear oil has been changed? It should be changed every 5 years or 30,000 miles. When it is 40* out the gear oil is thick and can be hard to shift. If it gets easier after driving 5-6 miles it is time to change the gear oil. If adjusting the shifter or coupler and fresh gear oil doesn't help then your shift forks inside the transaxle are bent or out of adjustment and the trans will have to come out to be rebuilt.

I like Valvoline Durablend semi-synthetic 80W-90 for all my street VW's
skullfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
When was the last time the transaxle gear oil has been changed? It should be changed every 5 years or 30,000 miles. When it is 40* out the gear oil is thick and can be hard to shift. If it gets easier after driving 5-6 miles it is time to change the gear oil. If adjusting the shifter or coupler and fresh gear oil doesn't help then your shift forks inside the transaxle are bent or out of adjustment and the trans will have to come out to be rebuilt.

I like Valvoline Durablend semi-synthetic 80W-90 for all my street VW's

ok I dont know on the oil as I just bought it 1 month ago.
Is that the trans oil your saying?
thx
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

Like racerdave said could be the oil but if it shifts all other gears easily, it may well be the shift fork.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: New owner Hard to shift into first Reply with quote

I lived for years with a transmission that was hard to get into first.

I either had to shift into first before starting the car
or
shift into first with the car at idle and the car rolling at walking speed
or
from a stop shift into second and then quickly shift into first.

It was just about impossible to get into first at anything except stopped, or walking speed.

Went on for years. The transmission finally crapped out, turned out to be a bearing seized on 4th gear. The rebuilt transmission is wonderful. I am still in the habit at a stoplight of putting it in second an then shifting to first. Those couple of years of driving it like that did not hurt a thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: