Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STL 1973 Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

That's the ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

I was hoping to install some lap belts in may car, but was not able to find any metric bolts in my stash that would match the size and pitch for the bolts welded to the body for the rear seat belts. So, off to the local Ace Hardware to try to find some bolts that will match.

I was able to get a few items placed on the rear of the vehicle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Seat belt bolts are US 7/16 fine tread. Seems standard worldwide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Still want to see that car (and you) in Tipp City.
Are you bringing the drip pan with you? Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Bolt size 7/16 20 grade 8. Had to check for sure.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Still want to see that car (and you) in Tipp City.
Are you bringing the drip pan with you? Wink

I will be mailing in my registration this week, as well as calling to book a room.

It amazes me on how many folks comment on the drip pan under my vehicle, are they not made any more? Easier to clean up then if oil drips on concrete, for sure.

I need to make a 'long distance' test run before heading to Ohio, perhaps to Kansas City, MO, to see how my vehicle does. I will make sure that The Wife is following with her suburban assault vehicle, as I will have my tow bar and related bits in it on the off chance I encounter any issues with the test drive.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Bolt size 7/16 20 grade 8. Had to check for sure.

Thank you for the *fast* response ! Off to my local Ace Hardware this week to get the four bolts and washers . . .
73pumpkinthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Brian: have enjoyed your post. I also have a pumpkin orange 73 and am hoping you can help me a bit.

I took the engine out and it took longer to get it back in and I have one wire I can't match. It comes across the top of the engine compartment right to left and then splits off. It is brown with green dots. Seems it should go to the coil, don't know + or - side. There is a similar wire, brown with green dots that seems to hook to the right post on the generator. My battery also does not seem to charging, wonder if this is connected.

Also have you repacked or repaired the rear bearings? put in new brakes and one side it much warmer, could it be the bearings?

Thanks Monte
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Hey, I was stationed at Shaw AFB also, back in the 70's!
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Pair of lap belts I had used for the front seats now in the rear, easy job with the correct bolts !

Now I have a new issue to solve, noticed that the third white, 8 amp fuse, from the right of the fuse box was blown. Replaced it, and then noticed it blew again when I turned the head lights on. I had the head light switch replaced about 18 months ago, what concerns me is that after the fuse went, I had no rear brake lights when I hit the brakes. Replaced the fuse again, and confirmed that I have brake lights.

Time to study the laminated wiring diagram I had made from the technical section and determine what may be causing the fuse to blow. Until then, day time driving only, and *very* local.

Going to order a new fuse box with cover, and replace, and then verify all is hooked up correctly behind the dash pads.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: STL 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Gads, where has the time gone ! It has been almost two years since I posted an update on the 'BKT-181' !

I was able to figure out the issue with the white fuse blowing as well as with the rear tail lights. I replaced all of the fuses at the fuse box, cleaned the contacts, and then determined the issue with the rear tail lights was with the ground wires.

For the past two years, all I have had to do with the 'BKT-181' is fuel and drive ! The vehicle is my local daily driver. I was able to make two trips the Summer of 2017 from St. Louis to Sainte Genevieve, as well as Washington and Hermann, Missouri. They were the 'first long distance' trips I have made since I purchased the vehicle. No mechanical or electrical issues encountered during the trips, locals roads, ah, it was 'Fahrvergnügen' at its best !

The BN-4 heater worked like a champ during the colder times of the year, the BN-4 never ceases to amaze me, German engineering at its best !

Funds permitting, the 'long term' goal for my vehicle is to make it a close clone of a Bundeswehr staff car. I already have a speedometer installed that is KM/HR, one of the four rifle rack mounts. I need to locate the five position headlight / blackout switch with dash panel, the Bundeswehr decals, steering wheel, and then repaint in NATO green.

The amount of space when I fold down the rear seats in the rear of the vehicle when I make local trips to pick up 'stuff' is more than I have ever had in a Typ 1, as well as my 2012 Beetle. I measured it, 4 by 4 feet, plenty off room for 'stuff' from Lowe's or Home Depot !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: