Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body number confirmation help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help to identify what year I have. I just bought what I was told was a 56. It's got almost incorrect everything but it does have a clearly stamped body number in the front apron. It's showing 489082. My research tells me this is a 53. Any help is appreciated, the pan is much later and it's missing any early oval stuff, like tails that I know about. If this is true it would be awesome, except my parts search just got much harder!! Thanks.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Looks to me like body is Oct '53.

You'll have fun finding correct parts; when you do, you may hope you're sitting down as some of it is ridiculous expensive. Embarassed

Aside from tails, you'll want ribbed doors, ribbed fenders, batwing steering wheel, speedo, seats, gas tank, door handles & window latches, headlights, and a bunch of other things are early oval specific. Also, an early 30hp engine dressed correctly; round regulator, engine tin, pulleys and fuel pump are obvious giveaways aside from case stamp.

Does the car have semaphores? Or were they filled in?
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Its on the wrong pan, make it whatever year you want it to be. Only major difference would be rear apron and door pillars. Pictures of those would say.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

I'll post some pics in a little bit. Its missing every single piece that makes a 53 a 53, this is gonna be fun...What is different in the door pillars, that might be all I have left. Thanks guys!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Door pillar should have the slot for a semaphore on each side, just in front of the rear quarter window. This area is thicker on early cars to accommodate; even if it's been filled in, the size of this area is tell-tale. Later cars had a thinner b-pillar.
Rear apron should have no exhaust cutouts.
2016 Golf R - my daily
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

On a bare body shell (or a car that has had parts swapped), check for the location of the interior heater vents.
If the heater channels have not been replaced, these can be important clues to determine the year of the car.

'55 and older has an oval-shapped heater vents with mesh screen inside.

'56 has one-year-only heater channels . . . louvered heater vents way up by the front bulkhead.

'57 and newer has louvered heater vents close to the hinge/door pillar.

As you know, the front sheet metal could have been replaced and has negated the stamped body number.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Cool, looks to be a legitimate 53 then! What are your guys' opinions. Is it worth the time and money making it correct if it's never gonna have the original pan?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Later cars had a thinner b-pillar.

FWIW . . . the change in the "B" pillar occurred in 1965.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
What are your guys' opinions. Is it worth the time and money making it correct if it's never gonna have the original pan?

It will never be correct with the wrong pan.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Yes; sorry I didn't realize it was so late!

Post pics so we can see.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
scottf1887 wrote:
What are your guys' opinions. Is it worth the time and money making it correct if it's never gonna have the original pan?

It will never be correct with the wrong pan.

The early pans had a lot of differences; obvious is the heater control, other minuscule differences is where the cables exit the pan, how the e-brake cables operate, and even where the body bolts to the car are slightly different on early cars.

So as 57Blitz said, it will never be right unless you find an early oval pan.
2016 Golf R - my daily
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Yes; sorry I didn't realize it was so late!

Post pics so we can see.

"European" or "domestic market" Beetles had semaphores throughout the fifties.
This photo is from The Samba gallery (Looks like a 1960 . . . note the position of the door key slot!) . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Is it possible that the car never had semaphores? I haven't stripped the paint on the pillar yet but I see no signs of semaphores
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

A 53 would have always had them... I'm thinking your car may be pieced together. Are you sure you're reading the body number right? Im
guessing likely feb/57....

57blitz- I knew semaphore cars extended well into the 50's in Europe but for some reason i thought the pillar became thinner much sooner. My bad!
2016 Golf R - my daily
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
A 53 would have always had them... I'm thinking your car may be pieced together. Are you sure you're reading the body number right? Im
guessing likely feb/57....

57blitz- I knew semaphore cars extended well into the 50's in Europe but for some reason i thought the pillar became thinner much sooner. My bad!

The B pillers got thinner in 65 cause the Windows got bigger.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
Is it possible that the car never had semaphores? I haven't stripped the paint on the pillar yet but I see no signs of semaphores

If it is a '53, it came from the factory with semaphores.

As per my previous post . . . Please describe the front footwell heater outlets . . . I think ya have a 1957 like TheLadyBug said!
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help to identify what year I have. I just bought what I was told was a 56. It's got almost incorrect everything but it does have a clearly stamped body number in the front apron. It's showing 489082. My research tells me this is a 53. Any help is appreciated, the pan is much later and it's missing any early oval stuff, like tails that I know about. If this is true it would be awesome, except my parts search just got much harder!! Thanks.

Hold up just as sec. Don't forget, that Volkswagen reset the body numbers to 0000 in July of 1955. Your body number would put it in the March 1957 range.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

While on the subject, Karmann convertibles had their own list of body numbers. Earlier cars had a 15- prefix, but this was dropped sometime in late oval production.

Basically, one number could correspond to 3 different cars. For example, Body# 37500 could be:
a 1948 sedan
a 1955 Sedan
or a 1957 convertible.

Will
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Look for the door wedges on the pillars. It could have had the front clip replaced early in its life when earlier beetles were in the junkyards.
Izzygt500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Body number confirmation help Reply with quote

Like stated before, i think you have a 57. Any pictures?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: