Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joint replacement or new axle kit?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If mine are stuck I use the bench vise. Open the jaws to be just larger than the axle, slide the axle sideways into the jaws so the CV is now resting on top of the jaws. Grab the axle from below, raise it up a couple of inches, slam it downward so the the inner CV housing contacts the top of the jaws. This has worked everytime.... so far. YMMV.

A nice technique I must say. A bit hard to do with my rotating vice and poorly aligned cheap Chinese made vice's jaws. The rotation is only locked by virtual of the tightening of the jaws.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
dobryan wrote:
If mine are stuck I use the bench vise. Open the jaws to be just larger than the axle, slide the axle sideways into the jaws so the CV is now resting on top of the jaws. Grab the axle from below, raise it up a couple of inches, slam it downward so the the inner CV housing contacts the top of the jaws. This has worked everytime.... so far. YMMV.

A nice technique I must say. A bit hard to do with my rotating vice and poorly aligned cheap Chinese made vice's jaws. The rotation is only locked by virtual of the tightening of the jaws.

that seems racist, you shouldnt speak that way of a culture like the chinese. that is putting an entire race in a bad light . shame shame, another feather in my cap for racial harmony. I happen to own a high quality chinese made vice. I am supprised that a worldly person that commands so many languages, and samples so many culturally diverse foods would be saying such racist thing. to denagrate an entire culture over one cheap vice is really hateful.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

it is without question that many - if not most - Chinese products are cheap and junky

the same is true of Mexico today and was true of Japan in the 1950s

and the US in the mid-to late 1800s (mostly wooden furniture)

and BTW, the only tools to buy are Stahlwille
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
it is without question that many - if not most - Chinese products are cheap and junky

For the record, I not too long ago bought a Harbor Freight pneumatic impact wrench. I chose the most expensive one they made, and seeing it is made in "the other China" I had no reservation buying it. I own and continue to buy many excellent PRC made products, and there are many threads in this forum. I never demonize any country, except sometimes the policies of them leading to bad things, like the long history of Switzerland's banks culpability in money laundering and tax evasion by the organizations and the super riches.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Cheap in price and cheap in quality tend to go together. Pay more and get more.

It is my understanding that part of the problem with Chinese manufacturing is that smart well educated Chinese are unwilling to not kowtow to their superiors and thus quality problems don't get fixed by the lower level engineers and managers who have hands on knowledge.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Merian wrote:

It is my understanding that part of the problem with Chinese manufacturing is that smart well educated Chinese are unwilling to not kowtow to their superiors and thus quality problems don't get fixed by the lower level engineers and managers who have hands on knowledge.

My cheap Chinese made vice was bought circa 20 years ago amongst some of the earliest vices made in that country. Today, their castings typically have improved but there are still plenty bottom of the barrel products. All manufacturing countries start from the bottom and move up. We first complained about Japan, then Korea, followed by China, India, and next Vietnan etc. Today, Japanese product ranks top with few other countries. Most American would not pony up for the premium price points of Japan made products and very few are imported here.

Better getting back into topic before the On Topic Polizei finds us. Laughing

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

The comments are prejudiced, but the photos are real.
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1063782

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Merian wrote:

My cheap Chinese made vice was bought circa 20 years ago amongst some of the earliest vices made in that country. Today, their castings typically have improved but there are still plenty bottom of the barrel products. All manufacturing countries start from the bottom and move up. We first complained about Japan, then Korea, followed by China, India, and next Vietnan etc. Today, Japanese product ranks top with few other countries. Most American would not pony up for the premium price points of Japan made products and very few are imported here.

Better getting back into topic before the On Topic Polizei finds us. Laughing

I really like the letters WILTON written on the side of my vise, cost me all of $25, also have a pretty decent Littleton for smaller work, IIRC this one cost me less than ten bucks. My vises don't rotate on a horizontal axis by design and when I am done with them they don't rotate on a vertical axis either.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

I have the fortune of spotting a pair of Japan made jack stands sold by Napa under the Napa branding long ago. There are attentions to detail everywhere you look. It looks so feather (wide open for the blue van owner to accuse me racist Laughing ) light you would think they are too flimsy for the job of holding up a Vanagon, but they are not.

One of my favorite show is "The Supreme Skills" on NHK World. NHK and Deutsche Welle are my nearly daily watch TV channels. Both are free and anyone consider themselves a citizen of the universe would likely enjoy. Who would have guessed these are from both the vanquished and aggression nations of WWII?

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/supremeskills/

kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad to hear that there are better ways. Correction tho on my earlier details. Looking at my pics(I'll post later), my oem cvs were stamped vw Audi and had Lobro on them. Those newer replacements were stamped KGM both had Germany on them. It was the boot kits Bus Deopt sent that had Lobro and KGM on them...anyway, looks like I'm off to harbor freight! B
I
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

kaeferman wrote:
Thanks guys, glad to hear that there are better ways. Correction tho on my earlier details. Looking at my pics(I'll post later), my oem cvs were stamped vw Audi and had Lobro on them. Those newer replacements were stamped KGM both had Germany on them. It was the boot kits Bus Deopt sent that had Lobro and KGM on them...anyway, looks like I'm off to harbor freight! B
I

From all the evidence that I found on the web, and forums, as well as the CV parts I bought, GKN is Lobro, and Lobro is GKN. Need not to go further, here is the proof:

http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-L%C3%96BRO...-bran.aspx

I have one major complaint with the GKN CV parts I bought from one vendor that I have satisfactory experience with. It is that the Lobro CV boot that is made in Italy is clearly shorter than the original factory boot that has VW/Audi makings. Additionally the factory boot has a grease dam inside to minimize grease migration into the CV boot and hence starve the CV moving parts. I thought to myself, did GKN/Lobro went cheap and cut corner?

It is all too easy to assume that, but a better part of me says no. There are myriad potential reasons this can happen. Just name a few:

The original factory boot may be a custom part for VW/Audi, and GKN cannot sell the same or equivalent part aftermarket.

I notice typically the usual suspects of Vanagon specialty suppliers source these CV joint parts from Pacific Pars International. Pacific Parts International is an importer and warehouse distributor of auto parts. There is no telling if this specific CV boots that we bought and received is the correct the the closest fit part for the Vanagon. I will go out to the limb that someone at one time must have done some legwork to pick out this part out of the catalog, may be with the assistance of GKN/Lobro, or may be not. CV manufacturers make mind numbing thousands of CV parts for all makes and models of automobiles, and not even try to get into industrial and minding applications. Typically, in a parts catalog, there are just dimension and attributes, and almost always no direct indication of what makes and model of the auto the parts are for.

I examined the original Lobro CVs against the new (current crops of) GKN closely. I do not see any discernible difference in the roughness of the bearing races or metallurgy. The appearance of the traces of the heat treating on the parts all look very similar between the old and the new, despite there are marked differences between the new GKN and the old Lobro parts which clearly come from two difference manufacturing processes - casting and machining be the most obvious.

Enough of my soliloquy... Smile

kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

My only complaint with Lobro/KGM is that they didn't give me any washers. My boot kits came with new bolts (12 points, not 6mm Allens-great, new tool to find) but had no washers and i was missing one when I cleaned up after removal of the old.
For reference
Here's what my VW / Audi - Lobro stamped cv joints looked like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would imagine most would replace these, but they weren't making any noise that I heard and could possibly be rotated to work for a while longer... the bearings themselves had no pitting.

Next pic is the KGM replacement CV which i though looked great. Shiny spots with no real pits yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

B
dustibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint replacement or new axle kit? Reply with quote

What do you guys think about the aftermarket AXLE'S...Just the AXLE'S...Im doing a subaru conversion and need the right side auto axle because they are the length I need (531.0mm)..I have lobro cv joints and cannot find any oem VW axles, so i was just thinking about getting replacements and pulling off the cv joints and putting the lobro's on and call it a day.....Do they fit good spline wise?? or are they loose/going to twist around with my 160hp??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: