Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of you have 185r14 tires nowadays?

From what I can tell, the only options in that size anymore are for commerical vehicles, or VW buses. Very Happy

As such, they have stiffer sidewalls and are somewhat heavier than a normal tire might be.

So, do you have a 185r14 commercial or light truck tire on your Thing, and does that work OK for you? Ride Ok, etc?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzag wrote:
This is where I bought them, https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck/e78-14-sta-super-traxion.html

Those are really nice looking.

what is the speed rating on those tires? I just bought a thing, and my main purpose is to be able to tow it behind my motorhome where it will be subject to some higher speeds.
LoveMyThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tried retreaded tires? Reply with quote

I found some retread tires in the 195 75r14 size. Anybody tried these?

https://www.tirerecappers.com/size/lt19575r14/
Tait D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

In the spirit of fully utilizing our stickies:

I'm taking off my chrome 15" rims + AT tires and putting on stock rims and some mellow tires. I just picked up five 195/75 r14 Uniroyal Tigerpaw AWP II from the local America's Tire for $350 out the door. I'm going to mount them with a mechanic who has an adapter to balance them. They're made in Mexico, which I find fitting for a Thing Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question is... whitewalls in or out?? I powdercoated the stock rims a metallic grey/silver, and my 181 is white. I've never had whitewalls before, thought it could be fun. Let's hear some opinions!

I'll also be posting these wheels/tires on the classified once I've got the new crew mounted up. General Grabber at2 205/75 r15
The rims seem to be JC Whitney or the like, no markings that I can make out.

Cheers!
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Can't wait to see 'em booted up...and white walls can be fun.
Chadkd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Walmart carries General Tire T/A 185's for the stock 14 inch thing wheel for $115 per tire. They look great and ride really well and give the car the same stance it had coming out of the factory. The stock wheel had a 25 inch diameter and the General Tire is slightly larger at 25.5 but all fits well with no modification needed. They could not balance but even at highway speeds there is no shake. They look just aggressive enough but role quietly. Its the best option on the market for the stock look. Have them inverse mounted so blackwall is outward facing for more authentic look.
Chadkd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Tire-Grabber-AT2-Tire/15055654
dorkpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Picked up a Thing, fresh from the barn after sitting for 20 years. It needs tires, bad. Has after market 15" rims, tires only day 6.00-15L. The current tires are so stinking SMALL. Why on earth would anyone want these things? They look like a spare donut tire. Anyone identify the rims? The center cap says Cali something. Would like to put something a whole lot bigger under it too. More info /build thread to follow, I'm sure.

magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre G wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
HELP

does anyone know what these are?
they are 15" rims...as much as i know right now, never seen these before
they are 5 lug standard vw wide five pattern

Early (split) bus 15" wheels ?

I'm going to have to interject here; yes they look like an early split window rim but looky here... a Kombi Rim has is 15", but off set is different the width is shallower and also note where the valve stem is compaired to a Kombi rim, also note the year of manufacture.

Some clarification would be appriciated also, is this Mexican, German? Is anyone here filmilar with the K H marking on the rim?

Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Okay, after digging I'm going to leave this here to my understanding this is a repoduction VW rim made by Kelsey Hayes. I believe it was intended to replace stock Bus rim. I think this is also why its appearance is simular yet different over all, knowledge is power and now we know.

-Eddie
Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I've just purchased a Thing and I'm already looking for a wheel/tire upgrade.
I like the 6.5 x 15 BMR replica that Cip1 sells, along with a 205/70-15 tire.

It 'looks' like this combo would fit.

This diagram shows (approximately) the difference between the stock wheel/tire and the 6.5x15 wheel with a 205/70-15 tire
The tire diameter looks very close, but there is a slight shift outward.

What do you think? Will it fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
993trb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is a first post for me! I live in Montreal, Canada and have owned a '74 Thing for 5 years now. Tires need to be replaced. I've been doing extensive research over the past few weeks to find the correct "off road tread" 195/75r14 tire. Basically, I want to get a tire with the same look as when the Thing came out from the factory.

Unfortunately, the one and only option I can find is the Goodyear Wrangler AT, which is a C load range, 6-ply tire, at a pricey US$190/each. I am very concerned about the stiffness of the Wrangler for the Thing. Our vehicles being quite light and even if the tires are deflated to meet our required tire pressure, I am not convinced they would procure a "normal/comfortable" driving.

I would really like to hear from the ones who are currently using C and D rated tires. How harsh is it in normal road driving conditions?

The only alternative solution I have found, despite not optimal in terms of look, is the Cooper Trendsetter SE (in 195/75r14). It is an All Season M+S passenger car tire and obviously the tread is never as aggressive as the Wrangler...

Feedback please! Thanks

Francis
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Maybe I didn't ever post this in this thread, but I have the 14 inch General Grabbers on my Thing.

The one and only issue I really have with them is that there is a little bit of a rub on full lock. I'm told there is a stop I could adjust on the steering box, but I haven't done it.

I think they are a bit taller than the original size tires and I've wondered if that has affected my top speed, but that very much could be the even worse aerodynamics of driving with absolutely no top and frequently no doors.

I was worried about them feeling too stiff on the Thing, but that has not been a worry at all. I don't note any problems with steering even though I believe they are a bit wider than stock tires.

I do very much think the fit the look of the Thing.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I finally replaced the tires on my 74 with a set of 195/75/R14's at NTB. They are "Custom" brand which I had never heard, the local shops didn't have a lot of options in that size. 5 of them mounted cost $365 so I didn't need much convincing. Someday I do want something a bit more off-road as well but I couldn't justify the cost right now. It was more about getting tires that were safe and held air on it for the summer.

The tires that were on it were from the early 90's is my best guess, the spare was much older. Wow is the ride better now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
993trb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Thanks vwwestyman and Technut27 for your feedback. I have decided to go with the Cooper Trendsetter SE in 195/75r14 to meet the original tire spec. It is an All-Season M+S rated tire. I'll let you know how is the drive with those tires on.
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

General Grabber AT2 255/70r15 and 225/70r15 in front. On 7" wheels

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Because the question was asked in another thread.

I tried putting one of my wheels with 14 inch General Grabber in the spare location yesterday.

There is no chance that the trunk lid will close with that tire in there. Even if deflated.

So I will be installing an old 14 Bus tire I had on the spare rim and calling it good.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I had to do the same thing too. May put a spare on a rear mount and had originally had a spare mount on the roll cage but it blocked my vision too much. The work continues.........
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I'm adding these to the list of tires that fit thing 14 inch wheels. I ended up buying these. I really like them and they look decently aggressive.
https://simpletire.com/cooper-lt195-75r14-90000023586-tires
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Here are those tires (nobody asked but still...). They fit in the boot just fine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: