Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Heh... "point & laugh"... don't be ridiculous!... that looks fantastic!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Now that's what I call R E S T O R E D! Nice Applause
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delx23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Looks great!
Nice finish, correct hardware, wood color and cut is spot on ..

BRAVO Greg!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Beautiful work right there.

Well done.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Rack looks great. "Point and Laugh" I think not, as you pull in from the long drive from Washington State. Very Happy
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

👏👏👏👏👏👏
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

We're on our way to Kelly Park.

Adam is following us down in his 61 mango.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Right on! I'm going to keep an eye out for you, would like to meet some TS members from the PNW. Rain just passed through, but forecast for 87* and sunny on Sunday. Safe travels!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Before it started raining yesterday.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Then north of Eugene it started raining.

Stopped south of Eugene for the night and just kept driving through the rain a couple hours. Stopped just after we crossed the Siskiyoos. Well it's drizzling a bit.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

There was snow on the trees just after crossing into California, but the road is dry.

BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

OMG, you guys are a full day ahead of schedule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Meeting the SPVC rep for dinner tonight. Gotta get some miles on!

Stopped in Yreka to see Mo and Chris.

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Well, the bus has always been cool, but man, you guys are sure doing a great job on it.
Nice to see it again, and the two of you too of course!
And nice meeting Adam and his sweet Porsche powered walk thru Mango too!
Thanks for stopping by.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Nice to see you too Chris! Thanks for the wheel.

We made it to Williams, Ca. I noticed several of the rack slats have cracked at the ends already, not every one but maybe half of them, not sure what's up with that, kinda lame. Maybe a day straight of rain and now sun? They were fine yesterday. Maybe I should have drilled the pilot holes bigger or not tightened down the screws quite so much? I knew they wouldn't last forever but wished they would have lasted longer.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Nice to see you too Chris! Thanks for the wheel.

We made it to Williams, Ca. I noticed several of the rack slats have cracked at the ends already, not every one but maybe half of them, not sure what's up with that, kinda lame. Maybe a day straight of rain and now sun? They were fine yesterday. Maybe I should have drilled the pilot holes bigger or not tightened down the screws quite so much? I knew they wouldn't last forever but wished they would have lasted longer.

Greg, the rack looks great. I need to discuss your revit size and process, mine did not turn out that flat and nice. I am sorry to hear about the ends of the slats cracking. You seem to be taking it a lot better than I would. I guess I will know soon enough how mine reacts to mounting it and driving it around.

I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your trip and show.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:

Greg, the rack looks great. I need to discuss your revit size and process, mine did not turn out that flat and nice.

Hi Paul, I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum rivets. The heads were too big so I machined them down to match the original sample I had and polished them. I hammered them into place and then trimmed them to length and then squeezed them top and bottom with some Knipex adp-10 pliers. The first one I didn't trim any material that was sticking off on the bottom - I just squeezed it until it was fairly flat - the rest I snipped all but maybe 1/8" off and then smooshed it flat and they looked very close to the original. I will make some and send you a set.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
zuggbug wrote:

Greg, the rack looks great. I need to discuss your revit size and process, mine did not turn out that flat and nice.

Hi Paul, I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum rivets. The heads were too big so I machined them down to match the original sample I had and polished them. I hammered them into place and then trimmed them to length and then squeezed them top and bottom with some Knipex adp-10 pliers. The first one I didn't trim any material that was sticking off on the bottom - I just squeezed it until it was fairly flat - the rest I snipped all but maybe 1/8" off and then smooshed it flat and they looked very close to the original. I will make some and send you a set.

These are not easy to do. My process was a bit different (I start with the same rivets as you) as I put the rivet in place and snip all but about 1/8" sticking out the bottom and then flip the entire rack upside down so the rivet head is resting on my anvil. Then I gently hammer the other side of the rivet flat which also flattens the head slightly as well and they end up looking pretty close to original. I don't have any photos handy but can upload some later. Its a bit of a balancing act and is easier with two people but the results came out nice.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Cuddy and I are re-joining the 56 Springframe where we left off last Summer after driving across from the east coast. Our next plan is to fix some issues with the Jersey Looker leaking tranny fluid, and then heading North to Alaska!

We flew in yesterday and succeeded in pulling the engine and tranny, disassembling the side plates where the swing axles pivot, and finding a warped side plate. Greg and Matt hammered it flat using a series of plates and drifts, then reassembled it. Filled it with oil and no leaky!

Earlier today we installed the transmission and engine, replaced a leaky rear wheel cylinder, bled the brakes, did some other miscellaneous lubrication and repairs, and drove it on out.

Tomorrow we head North with the Springframe Westy, heading for the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC. Eventually, we plan to get to Alaska so Cuddy can fulfill his lifelong dream of getting a photo at all 50 State lines!

Getting ready:

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 51

Jump to: