Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CA White Sticker
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Going to be heading over to the local C.A.R.B. /BAR referee shortly to get my white sticker to save on the smog aggravation down the road.... One of these...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With that, for those of you that have gone through this process can you share your experience... I am pretty confident I have everything done to spec and should get through it with no problems, but human nature being what it.... I don't want to have to go back to the drawing board if needed...

I will be bringing with me all my KEP paper work, instructions, receipts for the parts, copy of the executive order, the Subaru data plate with the donor car VIN and engine #, and any other supporting documentation I have... Anything else I should have with me?

Thanks

John
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

John, it sounds like you are proceeding very logically and are well prepared. However, logic may not be your best friend through this process. I highly suggest that you ask around to find a BAR referee in your area who has passed a converted Vanagon. I started out with a BAR ref who had never seen one. He spent the full amount of appointment time, most of it on the phone. At the end, he gave me the keys and said I have a front wheel drive engine in a rear wheel drive vehicle, it is not a legal conversion. I ended up talking to the regional supervisor, went back to the same ref a few times and gave up there. I went to a new location with a new ref, he had former experience with Vanagons and was very reasonable. I failed because of leaks in the rollover valves of the fuel expansion tanks. Took care of that and some other carbon canister issues and got my sticker from the new ref and community college station.

Here is some more info...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567098&highlight=definitive+california

Good luck. PM me if I can help in any way.
Eric
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Good Luck, looking forward to hearing how it all went. The above advice seems reasonable. Perhaps Kennedy could assist in putting you in touch with some conversion kit customers.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
John, it sounds like you are proceeding very logically and are well prepared.
Here is some more info...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567098&highlight=definitive+california

Good luck. PM me if I can help in any way.
Eric

Eric

Good stuff thanks

John
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
... I went to a new location with a new ref, he had former experience with Vanagons and was very reasonable. ... Good luck. PM me if I can help in any way.
Eric

Perhaps other Vanagon owners that have converted to Subaru know of experienced conversion referees closer to Ventura. My experience has been, if things don't work out right the first time, the solution is exponentially more difficult.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

The van I purchased came out of Monterey. Since I live in Utah I don't need it. But if I ever sell it, it can come back to California to a happy owner.

This conversion was done back in 2002 and I just replaced the engine last year with a 1994 EJ22 that was totally rebuilt at Metric Motors in Ogden, UT. It purrs like the day it was born. Very Happy

I added the tag so you can see the site on the tag.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
My experience has been, if things don't work out right the first time, the solution is exponentially more difficult.

Aloha
tp

This is why I want to be "buttoned up" prior to going......

You back in HI?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

You probably know that you need a working ECU light. Make sure that it is functioning properly and that all old stored codes in the memory have been cleared. You are, of course, allowed to have the error codes listed in the Kennedy Executive Order. Also, make sure you have the most recent Executive Order. I think it was updated in 2014 with a new catalytic converter number. Make sure that the executive order number stamped on the cat can be cross referenced to the number in the Executive Order. Finally, if you have set up your carbon canister in a way that allows it to be easily isolated from the fuel tank (i.e. flexible line that can be clamped off by the referee), then make sure your entire fuel evap system is functioning properly (gas cap, fuel expansion tank seals, gas tank seals, etc.).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

They looked for a labeled CEL light long ago when I had my BAR inspection done.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

I got my BAR sticker using this ECU light label:

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

I had something similar made for me prior to smallcar's offering and the BAR referee was actually impressed. Unfortunately they are out of that part right now, I don't know who else offers it these days.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
They looked for a labeled CEL light long ago when I had my BAR inspection done.

Thanks... got to do this..
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

The image is in the TheSamba gallery. Can you copy it and paste it on the instrument panel? Or would that just make things more difficult?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1287297.jpg

Aloha
tp
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

The image is in the TheSamba gallery. Can you copy it and paste it on the instrument panel? Or would that just make things more difficult?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1287297.jpg

Aloha
tp

I have a separate light that sits above the parking break / seat belt warning light... I am going to just going to put a label there...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Google "check engine light" and "images". Copy an image and paste it next to the light.
You could also use the space below the hazard switch.

Aloha
tp
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Or replace the light I have in there with one of these

Chances are I'll use our old plastic label maker with red tape... Hey... good enough for the FAA as a placard.... it should do the trick.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

As long as the light is labeled you should be GTG.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
As long as the light is labeled you should be GTG.

Done

Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

The man who smogged my Doka had a book in which he looked up to make sure that Vanagons do not have check engine lights. He performed all the tests and my truck passed.

Are you guys saying that when you go to a referee you put in a bogus check engine light? I think they'd be on to that.

Chuey
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CA White Sticker Reply with quote

Vanagons don't have a CEL, subarus do. The referee was looking for the same working parts as the donor vehicle, the CEL is easily integrated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: