Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Lift Spindles
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoole12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

Who is the best provider of lift spindles for a thing I am trying to get some clearance on?
1963 Turkis Single Cab (sold)
1973 Sunroof Baywindow (sold)
1967 13 window Deluxe Bus (sold)
1974 Karman Ghia Convertible (sold)
1969 Squareback (sold)
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

check with Locky. He has a set made by Doug Fuller in Utah. I believe he was very pleased with the quality.

I had a set made by Blind Chicken Racing. It was not the best customer service experience. They sent me someone elses. I ordered 2". I received a set like 3 1/2", took forever to rectify. I returned the incorrect set. took a very long time to get replacement set. end result, the replacement set look like they just cut down the wrong set and welded back together.

I am still running but would pass in the future in dealing with BCR.

Doug is also on Volksrod site if you are looking for contact info.

I am not aware of others. Tweed used to make a set. I do not believe available any more.

Not sure if Bugzyla will make set. They do extended arms etc

let us know where you land and what you think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

I have doug fuller spindles and they are great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

I have doug fuller spindles and they are great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

I just installed a set of Doug's spindles. I love them. Really nice quality. They took a bit to get, but well worth the wait.
I've got 3" taller, and the steering knuckle runs on the wheel a bit. I will need to use spacers or get wheels with a different back space.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwthingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

Paging Ratt, Sam and Locky, please,

The Doug Fuller raised spindles are getting installed on my car and my Rader wheels are tight against the tie rod end.
The wheels are 5" wide with a 3.25" backspace.

Did you guys end up using spacers?

My shop tells me I probably need .5" or .75" spacers.
Where would I get spacers from?
I see them on Cip1 and others.

Thanks for any and all guidance.
-Sean
Volkstuning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

Hi, Can someone provide with contact info for Doug fuller please.

Thanks
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

found this info from one of Doug's classified on The Samba

it was renewed 10-30-17, should be good

please check my feedback for the proof of this for youself
you will be more than happy with my service!
[email protected]
mail spindle cores to:
Douglas W Fuller 801-529-5153
435w 1550s
Sunset UT 84015

i did raised spindles by another company(not the best experience). I had to use like a 3/8 spacer if I recall to get clearance from the rim and spindle tie rod arm. I would have gone with Doug but had committed to other company and was in middle of that when I found out Doug was doing raised spindles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Lift Spindles Reply with quote

Using Doug's spindles, Ill need to run a spacer with 14" wheels. 15's look like they will clear. Additionally Im not sure If I am going to be able to run discs in the front or not with how the spindle is built. I haven't had a lot of progress on my thing in the last year or two. Doug did great work, but the turn-around was a little long. It was a little on my end and a little on his end. All in all, I am happy with the product and they sure make my Thing sit nicer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: