Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plastic Wheel Arch Liners
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Plastic Wheel Arch Liners Reply with quote

What do you guys think of these?
http://www.busdepot.com/251800010
Has anyone ever tried them? When used in conjunction with a bedliner type paint would they be worth the cost by protecting the bedliner surface from kicks from rocks and debris?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a place for dirt and moisture to collect.
Good bed liner is plenty tough on it's own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with them is that they don't fit very well. You have to trim to make fit and even then it's not a very good fit.
I have a set that I have installed and removed a couple times. Never put any miles on them as I wasn't comfortable with how they sat in the wheel well.
As noganav says, probably just a dirt trap.
I would like to hear from anyone who has used them for awhile.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them on a rusty Syncro during winter.
They kept the road spray off of me and front passenger.
I miss that van, it served me well.
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them and love them, they make cleaning up after trails easy, helps keep the rocks, salt and water mostly contained and they look good also. For what they do it is completely worth it.

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting polarized responses...what models are you using them on? I'd be looking to pop them into an '84 Westy. Just 2WD so I'm not doing a lot of tough off-roading, but I do enjoy a nice well trodden trail from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine on a 1987 Syncro Westy, as for a dirt trap you just need to clean the wheel well out often, the liners also allow access to clean behind them at the carwash. My wheel wells are POR 15, undercoated, fluid filmed and the liners are just another layer of protection and deflect a lot of mud, dirt, water and salt from packing in the corners and weird angles of the wells.

IG Westyrestorations

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<When used in conjunction with a bedliner type paint would they be worth the cost by protecting the bed liner surface from kicks from rocks and debris?>

I think your double dipping yourself right out of some $$$

A good bedliner application to the wheel wells would ward off any rock and debris all by itself.

Invest in a Raptor bedliner kit,( with the spray gun included) you could almost cover the entire bottom of the Van--quiet down road noise on the inside of the van too--one stop shopping.
This would be the wiser investment & move in the long run--for about the same coin.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info here - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550277&highlight=liner

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them and they fit decent. Mud washes off both sides pretty easy and doesn't get caked in the wheel wells as much as it used to. Good prep and coating of the wheel wells will do just as well.

The rears do cover lower and might help keep debris out of the the engine bay and above the transmission though.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
The rears do cover lower and might help keep debris out of the the engine bay and above the transmission though.

Interesting, I may have to give them another try. I'm in the process of a zero mile Zetec install and Syncro gas tank refit. Would be nice to cut down the mud and stones around the tank, transmission, and engine bay.
40,000 miles on the old Zetec install and repainted engine bay, things look pretty good but better is better!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Greystar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Hans J, I've had them for over a year and they help keep salt off the pricey bits and quiet the ride some. Or so I think. I put some aluminum L across the body to frame for extra screw in points front and rear. And had to heat up and bend some areas and cut others but was worth the trouble.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this particular brand, I have others, and they kill a good amount of road noise too.
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
I don't know about this particular brand, I have others, and they kill a good amount of road noise too.

What brand do you have and where did you get them? How do they fit?

IG Westyrestorations

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the liners are glued tight to the inside of the wheel well,
I find it very difficult to imagine how polyethylene sitting loose in there dampens any sound from entering the interior.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@smurfpike: I have a set I bough from a local dude and I don't know the brand.
Thor-bob Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyethylene backed by mass loaded vinyl would be a killer app here.

If anyone makes a set, I'm in line to buy!

Thor
1990 Carat
Popsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a picture of them installed?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic Wheel Arch Liners Reply with quote

I have revisited this issue and with the addition of Terawagon flares I now love my rear liners!

The whole problem I had with these was trying to tuck the liner completely under the stock wheel well edge. With the Terawagon flares the liners can be mounted as intended (outer edge of the liner showing) but now they are covered up by the flare. The screws holding the flare also secure the liners to the edge of the wheel well. Everything is nice and neat, no need to trim.

Unfortunately the fronts don't work as well because the flares only cover part of the wheel well edge, so for now I'm only using the rears.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic Wheel Arch Liners Reply with quote

I have had these for well over a year.

Mine have not held up to off-roading well. Rocks picked up on unpaved roads have been thrown against them making them crack and split. I have duct taped both sides of the cracks to seal them and keep them from getting bigger. I do like how quickly you can pressure wash the wheel wells out with these installed. Mud comes off very quickly. I remove them once in awhile and clean, Wurth Wax behind them before winters.

So far I just keep patching them up. I also used a self tapping bolt to hold the rears in place.

Not sure I will buy another set when these have used up their lifespan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: