Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote: "I'm not sure the rear is really sagging to much?"
Oh. Post some pix and Start a Poll.
"Is my butt saggy"

Sometimes you just gotta face it your butt is saggy!
Laughing
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback.

Now, for clarity and in my defense Laughing , I wasn't going to set the rear height to achieve a specific distance between the ground and the fender or match someone's else's measurement between them. It's just that at times I look at my bus and think "I'm not sure the rear is really sagging to much?" So, if there was a basic number, it would of been interesting to compare.

I'd read most of the threads on setting the bus's torsion bars before posting this question. I saw that 23* number mentioned in several of them. Colin and Bus Daddy reinforced that's the number to use. If it's wrong, I'll expect both of them to be here next week and personally reset it so It's right. Very Happy

Thanks again everyone.

The typical adjustment for saggy rear from age is going to be just one tooth on the inner splines and one tooth on the outer. If you find you need to move it more than this, you probably are using the wrong spec or doing else something wrong.

It is really too bad VW didn't use an odd number of splines on one end as this would have allowed a finer adjustment.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote: "I'm not sure the rear is really sagging to much?"
Oh. Post some pix and Start a Poll.
"Is my butt saggy"

Sometimes you just gotta face it your butt is saggy!
Laughing
Tcash

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh Tcash, you made me do it! I told you my rear wasn't sagging! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Resurrecting this old thread. My '70 Westy was also real saggy in the rear. I did all the reading in advance and then took a "best guess". I had an uneven ride height in the back, also, which I fixed.

I know the 23* "rule of thumb" but on mine, before adjustment when I first unloaded them, they were already at 23* - so I put them at about 28* to see what would happen. I think I may have overdone it a tad so I am considering taking one increment back out (one spline on each end) to lower the rear back down 1/2 inch.

Before I do that, though, I am wondering about one other measurement that I have not seen mentioned here: The distance between the spring plate and the bottom stop (the one you pry the spring plate out over to unload it) with the bus sitting on the level, unloaded except for a tank of gas.

For those of you who are happy with your rear suspension and the stance of your bus, how much space/gap do you have between the lower stop and the spring plate?

Thanks,
Andy
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

Andy70Bus wrote:
Hey folks,

Resurrecting this old thread. My '70 Westy was also real saggy in the rear. I did all the reading in advance and then took a "best guess". I had an uneven ride height in the back, also, which I fixed.

I know the 23* "rule of thumb" but on mine, before adjustment when I first unloaded them, they were already at 23* - so I put them at about 28* to see what would happen. I think I may have overdone it a tad so I am considering taking one increment back out (one spline on each end) to lower the rear back down 1/2 inch.

Before I do that, though, I am wondering about one other measurement that I have not seen mentioned here: The distance between the spring plate and the bottom stop (the one you pry the spring plate out over to unload it) with the bus sitting on the level, unloaded except for a tank of gas.

For those of you who are happy with your rear suspension and the stance of your bus, how much space/gap do you have between the lower stop and the spring plate?

Thanks,
Andy

Again, too many variables. Different weights, different cargo, different driveways. Please. Set the torsion bars to 23*, do not second guess the engineers who wanted the center of gravity so damn specific that they actually have a lower reading for the Westy to compensate for the cabinets and top.
Colin
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

First of all, measure your torsion bars. VW used a couple different thicknesses. Then you have a measurement and can use the chart below to set the angle correctly.

On my bus, The passenger side was right at 24* or what the chart showed at 23* 50 minutes. It was set there at the factory as neither torsion bar covers had ever been removed since it was new. The drivers side was 23* and I raised it up to 24* to match the passenger side, which leveled the bus side to side. It fixed that saggy side and the bus is sitting correctly now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=240

It's talked about in this thread on my bus on that page. Scroll up or down to find the torsion bar part.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

When people say to set it at what the factory tells you to fix it, it doesn't make sense to me. Chances are it hasn't been moved...

Like Andy70bus above, when I checked my sagging butt, I found the spring plates to be angled per factory spec. The issue is that the torsion bars have a propensity to torsion slightly more than when they were new. With that in mind, the task becomes to compensate for this change.

There was a chart or list I once saw of inner and outer spline movements and how many inches it would give.

Currently my kombi is on 1 1/2 drop spindles in front, and I wish the back was down maybe a half inch more - 1 1/2 is too much down in front for the amount of sag I have naturally in back.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
You're right. It's 18. 12 was a typo and I did bad math on it too. That's why I deleted that post (previous page). This one uses the 18 inches, from a real-world measurement I took this morning.

OK. Here are the results of me wasting an ENTIRE day of work. Don't tell anyone, or I'm totally shit-canned Wink

If anyone sees any errors or has and real-world experience that hints that this is wrong, please post it so that we can move forward with good info.

The resulting numbers shown in the tables is the amount of drop, in inches. The numbers along each axis are the splines.

Anybody who wants to play around with this.... I'll be happy to email you my Xcell sheet with all the formulas and math in it.

Edited 1/20/16
Tcash

Added chart
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Saggy butt measurement for rear torsion bars 70' bus Reply with quote

Thank you for that. I'd lost my old bookmark.^^
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: