Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

If I decide to go with a Subaru engine/trany combo, a Mendeola front and rear suspension, and a custom dash and steering column from a donor (probably Subaru,) should I sell the OE parts I am replacing or should I keep them in the event I, or whichever one of my kids gets the car, decide to sell the car in the future. I am torn since "Frugal me" thinks recovering some cost is not a bad option but "Hoarder/Purist" me thinks that separating the "original to the car" parts would be criminal. It's a 70 convertible if that has any bearing on the advice and comments.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

I think you should sell and make these parts available to others that need them because it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever return a highly modified car to standard anyway
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

I agree with Mellow Yellow. There is a tipping point beyond which reversing the customising is no longer feasible, and I think you plan to go well beyond that point.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

I agree somewhat, But maybe one day you'll get another ghia/Vw and need those spare parts - then you'll be kicking yourself.

then again I am just a bit west of you, so if you're ever this way I'll take your parts Cool
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

Sell the bits, there's only so much storage space and it seems often these things get separated easily from the car anyway once they are no longer part of the car! As above have said it sounds like you have big modification plans and even with the og parts it would take a lot of effort to return the car back to stock.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

I debated on that same thing. Mine came with a spare motor, an extra driver's door, an extra seat and some various odd bits.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

If you get hit with the 'going stock' virus down the line, you can sell all that fancy equipment for $$$$$$$ and only need $$$$ to return it.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

KidKarmann wrote:
I debated on that same thing. Mine came with a spare motor, an extra driver's door, an extra seat and some various odd bits.

Actually keeping a spare motor around is a decent idea. Have you ever rebuilt one yet?. Well, best time to learn is in casual convieniance, not so much when you need it done ASAP........
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
KidKarmann wrote:

Actually keeping a spare motor around is a decent idea. Have you ever rebuilt one yet?. Well, best time to learn is in casual convieniance, not so much when you need it done ASAP........

Valid point. I've never wrenched on a VW before this Karmann. I have a whopping 6 days of experience in classic ACVW ownership.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Keep or sell unneeded/unused original parts? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
If you get hit with the 'going stock' virus down the line, you can sell all that fancy equipment for $$$$$$$ and only need $$$$ to return it.

Goo point but I think you got the values backwards. Very Happy In most cases I have seen, OE parts usually command a higher price than used fancy parts. Either way I would still get some $s out of the equation.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: