Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Take the decklid to the sheet metal fabrication shop. Ask them if they have a resistance spot welder, which they should and ask them to spot weld the panel back down. Have them add a few extra for good measure. They will have to sand the paint off on both sides of the panels where the spot welds will be so you will need to paint those areas at the very least.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Unfortunately in those torn areas a spot welder is not going to help. Will need to be filled in with stick or wire feed...
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

You would spot weld in new areas of good metal around the old failed spot welds. It will create a lot less heat than MIG welding so repainting the entire deck lid or trying to match the color on an exposed portion would be unnecessary.

Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Thanks Eric & Barb

Clay actually went over that just a few minutes ago. He was pointing out where the welds should be, but will let the guy doing it decide. We want it tight. Body shop has it until I'm called. He said the burn from the spot weld does not radiate much. He did find on the top outside a small paint crack which comes from the stress of the separation I guess. We still have matching single stage enamel from the last time if needed. I do as well in spray cans and one pint that we can use. Glad I found this

Noticed I has a bump about halfway down when lowering the lid. Assuming the separation widens and then releases causing the bump feeling.

Thanks for all the help. I'm quite old and need it.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
You would spot weld in new areas of good metal around the old failed spot welds. It will create a lot less heat than MIG welding so repainting the entire deck lid or trying to match the color on an exposed portion would be unnecessary.

Thanks I 'm assuming they will take the best route. Body shop is 60 years old. Mr. Drurey ran it for years--7 children. Clay and Billy Drurey now operate it and have for several years. They are as detailed as their dad. They are a base coat clear coat business, but have some older old school guys that do single stage at it's best. The work they do is fantastic. One rule--- they call you when ready. You can go by and have coffee, but don't ask when?
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Welded mine.

Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Early Report--Clay called this afternoon for the L-87 Single stage matching paint I have. The spot welding is done (remarks Eric & Barb please) and that area will be refinished as it was. The top lip of the engine lid with the blue tape (outside view) is as it was before--pristine.

bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

I would have wielded it myself I only told you to use pop rivets because you didn't have to paint it and jb weld never would have worked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

I also have to do this job on my 62 pearl white Mad
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Looks great. Actually that is not spot welding, but looks to be MIG (wire feed) welded up. Should hold up for a few more decades!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Thanks I 'm assuming they will take the best route. Body shop is 60 years old. Mr. Drurey ran it for years--7 children. Clay and Billy Drurey now operate it and have for several years. They are as detailed as their dad. They are a base coat clear coat business, but have some older old school guys that do single stage at it's best. The work they do is fantastic. One rule--- they call you when ready. You can go by and have coffee, but don't ask when?

The Resistance Spot welder would have produced spot welds that looked like they had been done at the factory since that is how they did them when they built them. It probably would have been cheaper for a sheet metal shop to do it too.

Also since you asked if you could fix it with JB weld I assumed that you were looking to do this on the cheap.

Using MIG to do spot welds is fine. I would grind them down better so they won't be visible once painted.

Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Harris wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

The Resistance Spot welder would have produced spot welds that looked like they had been done at the factory since that is how they did them when they built them. It probably would have been cheaper for a sheet metal shop to do it too.

Also since you asked if you could fix it with JB weld I assumed that you were looking to do this on the cheap.

Using MIG to do spot welds is fine. I would grind them down better so they won't be visible once painted.

Actually looking for the less invasive route. Not afraid to spend what it takes, but did not want to mess things up and I may have on the welding. I'll know in a few days. The end result will tell me if I made a mistake on this. I like things clean and in some sort of original appearance.

Thanks Lou
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Harris wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Yes, probably would have been the thing to do. I'm a little anxious about the final results here, but hopefully they perform their usual good results on the lid. Thanks for the suggestion. Lou
58Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

For a slightly different perspective, I put mine back together using 3M panel adhesive. It's been two years now, and it's still holding fine. There was no heat warping, no need for grinding, and I didn't even have to repaint. Granted, 3M adhesive is considerably more expensive than JB Weld, but I had a few other things I could use it for, so I got my money's worth out of the tube.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

58Blue wrote:
For a slightly different perspective, I put mine back together using 3M panel adhesive. It's been two years now, and it's still holding fine. There was no heat warping, no need for grinding, and I didn't even have to repaint. Granted, 3M adhesive is considerably more expensive than JB Weld, but I had a few other things I could use it for, so I got my money's worth out of the tube.

Always something new out there. I do wish the JB would have worked. Clean with no mess, but likely not the thing to do. You would think with todays technology that something out there would work without the welding, the mess and the painting. Rivets are secure but are obvious. If you are wanting to make it look orig. Thanks for the suggestion. I have written it down. The jury is still out here. May find out Monday or Tuesday how we came out.

I want it right. I know what is there even it passes in a show with others.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Picked up my engine lid today and am very pleased. They only painted the welded section area. Preparation before paint was well done. Will be glad to get it back on. Thanks for all your advice

Lou

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

looks comparable to the fix I had on my 62's original decklid many years ago.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: