Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need more suck
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: need more suck Reply with quote

running dual 40 hpmx's with svda, Not getting a lot of vacuum at the dist. About 5" at most. Canister works.Was suggested I put a couple vacuum ports in my manifolds. Question is:which end, carb or head? and how huch vacuum should I expect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

Get

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Anti-Pulse-Valve-for-Vacuum-Advance-Distributors-p/anti-pulse-valve.htm

If that doesn't solve it, your engine has an anemic compression ratio, and that's why the vacuum is horrible. Either the rings are shot and the compression is low, or the compression is too low for the cam you are using. This is a very common problem with guys that just bolt the heads on, and don't do the CR math before hand to make sure it's right.

This one mistake will make pretty much any engine a total pig.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

What John said. BUT, I have experienced a couple of HPMXés where the vacum port was not functioning too well. I had to put a small drill through the vacum hole to clear it at the barrel end. I kinda forgot the size, but 2,2 mm comes to mind. You should check before attemping this. When I did this the vacum signal came to life.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

I have also seen a clogged port, but this is so simple you'd think that people would blow it out first thing.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

timing and valve adjustment can also contribute to low vacume.as can dry roted hoses and carbs/engine not tuned good.
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

Vacuum advance works with ported vacuum not manifold
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

well, lets go back to plan A. Did the math ( was a math teacher at one time) 7.5cr, 2056cc type 4, 86 cam, blew air thru vacuum passages. Changed to 32 vents,from 28. 135 jets. Did not check vacuum on each carb but both together is 5psig.
In the hospital right now with pneumonia (what fun) but plan on correcting this problem when I get out.
What size should the vacuum port be drilled to, by the way?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

Vacuum is not measured in psi.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

how about HgM
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Vacuum is not measured in psi.
???? hmm, how about... per suck inches of vacuum ??? Shocked hmm there may be a pun in there somewhere.....
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

I would tend to think that the 28 vents would create more vacuum in most driving situations than the 32's would.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

Mark, I enjoy your down home wit. When I worked in vacuum systems, we used molecules / cm as there is no true vacuum. Not even in outer space.
back to topic.
I switched to 32's for more mid top end. Worked great except for slight stumble around 2.8 k. That is when I started looking at vacuum. And found none, will very little. Right now, all I need to know what size is the vacuum port hole in a 40 hpmx.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

it won't matter, because it's measuring the MAP below the throttle plate. Above the plate the pressure is much higher.

Just make sure the hole is clear. Anti pulse valve helps a lot.

If the engine has low compression there is no solution other than raising compression to get the vacuum up.

ps2375 wrote:
I would tend to think that the 28 vents would create more vacuum in most driving situations than the 32's would.

ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
it won't matter, because it's measuring the MAP below the throttle plate. Above the plate the pressure is much higher.

Just make sure the hole is clear. Anti pulse valve helps a lot.

If the engine has low compression there is no solution other than raising compression to get the vacuum up.

ps2375 wrote:

Are you saying the venturis don't affect vacuum? It's my understanding that the vacuum advance is for when you first give it throttle.. So throttle plates would be open. If you have a small Venturi you get more vacuum. Imagine sucking through a tiny straw vs a big straw...

Also I have a 2007cc with a 8.6:1 cr and a web 163 and couldn't pull enough vacuum for my svda to work properly.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: need more suck Reply with quote

but the venturi is bigger than the gap in the throttle plate. The venturis would have to be PUNY (like 20mm or less) to have this affect you are envisioning.

Just understand that Ported Vacuum is the exact same thing as Manifold Vacuum at all conditions EXCEPT IDLE (where ported vacuum is off).

If the engine has low vacuum it's a poor engine combo, OR the rings/valves are leaky.

"Poor Engine Combo" is something like this

W110 cam and 7.5:1 compression
W120 and 8.5:1
Stock cam and 6.5:1

You can get away with these mistakes a lot more with FI, but with a carburetor(s) you have to do things right or you will have problems. The entire idle and progression circuit rely on manifold vacuum to operate properly. Poor vacuum and the engine absolutely cannot run "well" with a carburetor(s).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: