Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jldixie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Advice/experience on a workable hitch receiver for a Subaru conversion?

I chatted with GoWesty and they said the basic Vano-Hitch won't work because of the T-bar mount, so I was considering just going for the whole shebang with a steel bumper set and hitch.

I haven't decided on the RMW vs GoWesty, but thought I'd solicit feedback to make sure those mounts work with engine conversions. Especially because this just bumps my price up an order of magnitude (though I was eyeing a new bumper down the line anyway).

This last post from 2012 was a bit too outdated. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520663&start=0

I'm trying to do this with as little 'modifications' as possible because I'm eight months pregnant, and though my husband can help, I'm the fixie.
MV2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

I have a '91 Multivan with a Subi 2.5 and installed a hitch from Burley Motorsports. It was easy to install, and I like it a lot. For me at least, I prefer this option over new bumpers with an integrated hitch. Worth looking into.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Call RMW directly and ask.
They do Subaru conversions and manufacture conversion parts and kits. My GUESS is that it won't be an issue.. especially since any real hitch will mount into the frame slots and not use that T-bar work around.

Best to get the info direct from the source. And most of these guys tweak designs as they go.. constantly reworking to improve them.
So even if something may not have had rave reviews before, odds are the product has been adjusted some.

Also look at Burley MotorSports for another line of products that likely fit your needs.. and more.

That said.. if you go to FAQs here and look at hitches, trailering, bike racks, etc.. there is TONS of info and feedback

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

What are you planning to use the hitch for? Bicycles, a grill or real towing? This thread has some more opinions about the options that you are looking at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336638&highlight=westy+hitch
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Check out Burley's hitch design. It's so good, I copied it for myself, but only since I had the steel sitting around and the stick welder to hand. Burley's price is so good that I saved very little money doing it myself.

See it here:

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

If I needed a good hitch? (And I do but sadly there are $$ priorities)

Burley is at the absolute top of my choice pile!

Hands down the #1 choice unless you want big ugly steel bumpers added on. (My opinion only which may differ from others opinions)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If I needed a good hitch? (And I do but sadly there are $$ priorities)

Burley is at the absolute top of my choice pile!

Hands down the #1 choice unless you want big ugly steel bumpers added on. (My opinion only which may differ from others opinions)

Dave

Your opinion does not differ from mine.

I've installed go Westy bumpers, van cafe bumpers, RMW bumpers, those cheese ball hitches that bolt on to the tow hooks, factory Westfalia hitches, and finally Burley hitches.

The Burley hitch comes second in quality and operation only to the factory Westfalia hitch, which only comes with a trailer ball and is no longer available new. So, if you want a hitch receiver and don't need a big bumper hanging off the back of your van the Burley unit is the only way to go ATMO (according to my opinion)
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

jldixie wrote:
Advice/experience on a workable hitch receiver for a Subaru conversion?

I chatted with GoWesty and they said the basic Vano-Hitch won't work because of the T-bar mount, so I was considering just going for the whole shebang with a steel bumper set and hitch.

I haven't decided on the RMW vs GoWesty, but thought I'd solicit feedback to make sure those mounts work with engine conversions. Especially because this just bumps my price up an order of magnitude (though I was eyeing a new bumper down the line anyway).

This last post from 2012 was a bit too outdated. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520663&start=0

I'm trying to do this with as little 'modifications' as possible because I'm eight months pregnant, and though my husband can help, I'm the fixie.

Our bumper will certainly work with subaru conversion. We also have a hidden hitch which goes behind your stock bumper. Let me know if you have any questions. Both are in stock and ready to ship.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jldixie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks all, this was extremely helpful. And yes, I spent hours on the forums before posting, I just wanted some personal insight specific to subey conversions.

Mostly we will be using the hitch for a bike rack with beefy bikes, but I don't want to be limited. I'm narrowing down on RMW bumper set. I like the bulky steel look though it clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea. I hadn't considered Burley, but will have to do a few more hours of research. The reason I liked the GW set was mainly for the option to add their swing away options, which I like more than the other tire/accessory options right now. But it seems the hitch and bumper aren't quite as tough.

Last piece of the puzzle for me is ease of installation, since I've got limited mobility for a bit.

Thanks again.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

I built a very heavy duty version with 1/2" thick brackets. I can hang a motorcycle or two on it if I want...

It was a fun build.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10153007906516737&type=1

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

jldixie wrote:

Last piece of the puzzle for me is ease of installation, since I've got limited mobility for a bit.

Thanks again.

Step by step install of Burley's hitch.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439045

Install of bumper types is ging to be a little less work.. Unbolt old. Bolt up new.
FG bumpers have some extra hardware to deal with during removal.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
jldixie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Install of bumper types is ging to be a little less work.. Unbolt old. Bolt up new.

I was reading the install notes for RMW. Looks easier than the burley. I'll give a call Monday, but rugged and easy is hard to argue against. Plus the bumpers look great (to me).
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

We have the Burley hitch with fibreglass numbers and a Vanaru conversion.
Top quality construction and easy to install.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

jldixie wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

I was reading the install notes for RMW. Looks easier than the burley. I'll give a call Monday, but rugged and easy is hard to argue against. Plus the bumpers look great (to me).

Liking a products Looks is purely a personal thing and I wish you well with your choice!
RMW is a great company producing great products.

But to say RMW is easier makes me smile. Burley slips right in and replaces the stock bumper mount using the factory holes + 2.
RMW is a "kit" that requires assembly, granted, it isn't at all difficult for RMW perfects what they market, still I can't see that it is easier.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trey_h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

I've got the RMW hidden hitch that's simple to install and works like a charm. if you can read their instructions, you can do the install.

their welds and powder coating are top notch, and you get all the bolts you'll need.

I hang bikes off mine, and it does the job brilliantly.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

jldixie wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

Not sure if its "easier" per se...
My thread includes some stream of conciousness because it was the first documented install of what was then his 2nd working prototype hitch.. and in part because that's my style.. One should understand that there are always things along the way that may be cause for pause and (re)assessment.

I could boil my instructions down to..
1. Remove original bumper.
2. Remove OEM bumper mounts.
3. Cut clearance slot in OEM bumper for hitch receiver.
3. Bolt hitch to OEM bumper in place of OEM bumper mounts.
4. Insert bumper/hitch assembly into frame slots, align bolt holes and bolt up.

Easy, peasy...

The Burley hitch provided the closest to "factory-look" install with true Class III structure.. and its high clearance.

danfromsyr wrote:
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

[quote="djkeev"]
jldixie wrote:

Liking a products Looks is purely a personal thing and I wish you well with your choice!
RMW is a great company producing great products.

But to say RMW is easier makes me smile. Burley slips right in and replaces the stock bumper mount using the factory holes + 2.
RMW is a "kit" that requires assembly, granted, it isn't at all difficult for RMW perfects what they market, still I can't see that it is easier.......

Dave

RMW slips right in as well, plus, it breaks down to ship in ordinary shipping boxes. It's a wonderful design that I've been enjoying. I considered burley and RMW very closely and landed in RMW for shipping, looks and options to buy a more complete system front, rear, front receiver and grill guard should I want them. I really like the great big steps.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:

We also have a hidden hitch which goes behind your stock bumper.

Can you post a link to thisthis? I couldn't find it on your website.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

Type17 wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:

We also have a hidden hitch which goes behind your stock bumper.

Can you post a link to thisthis? I couldn't find it on your website.

I too never knew RMW made this hitch!

Seems like a serious contender if you are a stock bumper fan!
As I mentioned earlier, as a rule what RMW makes and sells is absolutely top notch stuff!

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Vanagon_Hidden_Hitch_p/rmw-hh1.htm

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
I built a very heavy duty version with 1/2" thick brackets. I can hang a motorcycle or two on it if I want...

It was a fun build.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10153007906516737&type=1

Neil2

That's the ticket there. I wish someone sold just those brackets. Of course, that RM hidden hitch is about the same thing with the work already done.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: