Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jldixie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Not sure if its "easier" per se...
My thread includes some stream of conciousness because it was the first documented install of what was then his 2nd working prototype hitch.. and in part because that's my style.. One should understand that there are always things along the way that may be cause for pause and (re)assessment.

The Burley hitch provided the closest to "factory-look" install with true Class III structure.. and its high clearance.

Indeed. I might have misinterpreted the stream of consciousness. Thanks for the breakdown.

Aesthetics do seem to come into play in a big way here. Stock vs big bumper crowd. The attachments and ruggedness look pretty similar to me. One thing I didn't consider too much was weight though. Do I really want more weight and sag...steel bumpers plus bikes will be pretty heavy.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper plus Hitch Receiver on Subaru Conversion Reply with quote

jldixie wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

Not sure if its "easier" per se...
My thread includes some stream of conciousness because it was the first documented install of what was then his 2nd working prototype hitch.. and in part because that's my style.. One should understand that there are always things along the way that may be cause for pause and (re)assessment.

The Burley hitch provided the closest to "factory-look" install with true Class III structure.. and its high clearance.

Indeed. I might have misinterpreted the stream of consciousness. Thanks for the breakdown.

Aesthetics do seem to come into play in a big way here. Stock vs big bumper crowd. The attachments and ruggedness look pretty similar to me. One thing I didn't consider too much was weight though. Do I really want more weight and sag...steel bumpers plus bikes will be pretty heavy.

Gabrial air adjust shocks take the sag out of saggy.

I installed Monroes MaxAirs first.. they leaked fluid after a particularly spirited drive on a washboard road (loaded up for camping)
Replaced with Gabrial HiJackers.. and run at 25 psi(min) to 40psi they hold level with my dual swingout racks and a loaded 4 bike tray rack.
I have not been back down that road yet.. But these air adjust shocks are pretty cheap. So no worries if they fail every 4 or 5 yrs.. I think others, here, have seen better durability.
All you need to adjust is a bicycle tire pump.
(Check the FAQs for more on air adjust shocks.. very easy installation)

Although I have loaded up stock suspension buses and Vanagons in yrs, past...
I would NOT do it again without something like that. The Vanagon wants to be level. A dragging rear end severely impacts handling and braking..

These are projects that a mechanically disinclined hubby can help out with. I, personally, would not want my 8 mo, pregnant wife doing too much more. And once baby arrives.. you'll have no time to do much of anything, else.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: