Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial? Reply with quote

Having completed my glass and seal replacements on the sides of my 77 baywindow westy, I'm ready to try my hand at the windshield. Shocked

As i live in the PNW, I have heard that it is wise to use a polyurethane seal in the frame to avoid leakage with our never ending rainy season around here. Curious if anyone has experience with this process, with how much to use, inside and outside? and what the clean up process is like...

Videos and pictures would be even better.

Thanks all
r
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial? Reply with quote

i should have mentioned that this is what i've heard at a VW show to use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial? Reply with quote

chucknox wrote:
and what the clean up process is like...

It'll be an experience you never ever forget, that stuff is sticky as hell and gets on everything, luckily mineral spirits cuts it easily before it's cured, after that you'd better like it because it's there forever. Not worth the trouble IMO, but if you insist.....

The least messy way is to run a thin (~3/16") dia bead around the outer periphery of the seal once it's sitting in the body hole but before you pull the rope, put it on the finned part of the seal so it gets drawn down into the body hole as the seal seats. Before you slap it in to fully seat it force the tip of the caulking gun between the seal and the glass and run a tiny bead around that edge. Usually not much gets out on the body side but you will be squeegeeing the excess off the glass to seal part and wiping the remains off with lots of fresh rags wet with mineral spirits.

Make sure you are confident you can get it in the first try, if something pops out or slips and you have to repeat the process you'd better have lots of gloves and rags because it'll be an epic mess. And be careful what you touch when working with Urethane, that handprint on the back of a seat or doorhandle is a bitch to get off when you discover it later.

The downside to this job is you can't use lube because it'll prevent the urethane from sticking, personally I've never had a fresh seal leak when the body hole was smooth and shiny, even on buses that live outside all year.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial? Reply with quote

I would install the windshield and then go back and use a syringe to force sealant under the lip of the seal. This way you don't have the mess to deal with if the install fails the first time around.
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield replacement with polyurethane tutorial? Reply with quote

Use butyl mastic. It doesn't set so you can get the windscreen out in future. Just install the windscreen and squeeze the butyl mastic under the lip of the seal all the way round. No leaks, job done! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: