Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

We need to get out of the house this weekend even though were going away next. Looking for somewhere not to far from Eastern CT that we could bring the dogs and kids. Hopefully somewhere that has swimming
so everyone can keep cool. If you guys know of any campgrounds that are not to far up the Cape or Mass somewhere. Would even be willing to drive to lower NH,VT or Maine if the place is really nice. Its very last minute and I hate going into the unknow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

We are heading to Shawme Crowel in Sandwhich this weekend with 5 or so other families - lot's of kids. We will canoe/kayak to a beach, but there is a place to park opposite (untill high tide) and we can shuttle you across, so you don't have to bring boats. I'll p-mail you.

John
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I hate campgrounds with a passion I will share better options... go to Kent, CT and just across the river there is a dirt road (the Appalachain Trail runs down it a ways)... many great spots on the river for camping and swimming!

or, Stratton Mountain up in Vermont. I forget the name of the road (Stratton - Arlington Road)... great hike up Stratton Mountain and a million and one campsite down the dirt road, some on small lakes...

ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: camp Reply with quote

"Reserve America" web site has complete listings of all campgrounds in any area of America-check it out for information even if you don't reserve ahead of time

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good campgrounds in Plymouth

http://ellishaven.com/

http://www.indianhead-resort.com/

indian head is right down the street from my house. Theres also Shawnee Crowell in Sandwich (mentioned above), which is really nice or further up the Cape there is Nickerson, which is great but usually booked up.

Further from here there is a KOA in Carver, Ma and then super luxury camping at Normandy Farms in Foxboro. its on the pricey side but has lots to offer.

We should have a mini gathering this weekend!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdee... I used to live in Carver... nice album btw! sorry off subject and back to my wine

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Shawme-Crowel. Saw a Syncro Westy there with a rear mounted spare-( anyone here?).

We had 29 people all together and 33 people for a giant Dutch oven cook-off pot luck dinner. What a blast! We paddled and swam salt and fresh water, and had ice cream, of course, at the ice cream sandwich in Sandwich.

Towed a trailer with 2 canoes and 2 kayaks too!
Happy trails
John
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: MAINE/NOVA SCOTIA - return of the CAT Ferry JUNE 2016 Reply with quote

I don't see a place for this so I will post it in the Newest Englandish forum link

It looks like the CAT ferry is coming back in June 2016 and will run cars from Portland ME to Yarmouth NS

This takes a lot of driving time for a Bay of Fundy visit for anyone in the NE
VTSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Stratton Mountain up in Vermont. I forget the name of the road (Stratton - Arlington Road)... great hike up Stratton Mountain and a million and one campsite down the dirt road, some on small lakes...

ASWAH

I think you're talking about Kelly Stand Road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Stand_Road

Great spot to camp!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTSyncro wrote:
aswah wrote:
Stratton Mountain up in Vermont. I forget the name of the road (Stratton - Arlington Road)... great hike up Stratton Mountain and a million and one campsite down the dirt road, some on small lakes...

ASWAH

Great spot to camp!

Are the spots.to camp all accessible by road? We have 2 small kids and long are not on the agenda yet.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
VTSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
VTSyncro wrote:
aswah wrote:

ASWAH

Great spot to camp!

Are the spots.to camp all accessible by road? We have 2 small kids and long are not on the agenda yet.

Yes. I last camped there in my pre-van days, but there are a ton of camp spots right off one of the roads. We pulled in, set up tents and got a fire going. It can get busy around popular weekends, I remember a sheriff stopped in to make sure everyone was of legal drinking age and that fires were under control. Lots of moose in that area too.

Found this resource for free camp spots in the Green Mountain National Forest. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5318739.pdf
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

there is an established camp spots at Grout Pond off kelly strand-arlington road. not alot van/vehicle accessible but has a nice(fwiw) vault toilet
and a great kayaking on Grout pond

also an established campground on the road down to Somerset/searsburg also with vault toilets. and easy river access for playing inthe river rocks (not deep water)
there is a nearby boat launch at Somerset dam too.

access Kelly Strand from Kansas, VT or Searsburg, VT or Rt100 north of Mount snow

it's listed on Freecampsites.com but there is a iron ranger there and you shuld contribute to the use and upkeep.
https://freecampsites.net/#!327&query=sitedetails

Quote:
Green Mountain National Forest
Sixteen hundred acres of the Forest set aside for recreation. Grout Pond is very popular for camping, hiking, canoeing, and fishing. It is open year-round and no camp fee is required, donations are accepted at the lower parking area bulletin board. Donations are utilized solely for Grout Pond Recreation Area. A Green Mountain National Forest campground host is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day to assist visitors and answer questions. Due to the high amount of use and the effects on the surrounding environment, camping is allowed in designated sites only. Please use pads and platforms provided. Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis.

There are 6 vehicle accessible campsites, an open day-use area, and a barrier-free vault toilet. Down near the parking area there are another barrier-free vault toilet, a hand pump for drinking water, a 200-foot boat portage with an unloading area, and 5 day-use picnic areas with grills. Each campsite has a picnic table, a tent platform or pad, and a fire ring. Plenty of hiking opportunities also exist with over 10 miles of trails, marked with blue diamonds.

Directions:
From Route 100 in West Wardsboro, travel west on the Stratton-Arlington Road (aka: Kelley Stand Road) for about 6.0 miles and turn left onto Forest Road 262. Follow FR 262 to the end.

Somerset airfield

https://freecampsites.net/#!9891&query=sitedetails
and 2nd entry
https://freecampsites.net/#!340&query=sitedetails

Quote:
about 6 miles in off of Fireroad 71 after the third bridge bear left away from the sign that says to Somerset reservoir.
The road in is Gravel and 6 miles from a paved road. old airfield camp ground is open year round. There are 6-15 campsites at this location and the maximum RV length is 45 feet. You may stay 14 at old airfield camp ground.

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

took the Nova Star from Portland Aug 2014 to NS that was a blast overnite gambling gale force winds sunshine and great weather when we arrived in Yarmouth was well worth the $$$$$

wonder if it's going to continue Confused
how fast is the Cat and how much?$$$$$

on topic the campgounds vary there from Provincal parks to self service
family run
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaineRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

We are planning on taking the ferry this season. Haven't seen prices yet, but it shouldn't be that bad. We want to head out Thursday and meander back down and be back in Portland Sunday.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

On our honeymoon 25 years ago we took the ferry from Bar Harbor (we lived in Orono) to Yarmouth NS. In my '84 Jetta GLi, which replaced the bus in my avatar. Great trip. I think it was 6 hours?? How long is it from Portland??
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

we boarded at 9:30pm arrived in Yarmouth 8:00Am ish

it was worth it Cool will return NS there is a lot to see
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

No fares yet on the website.

The trip is advertised as a 5.5 hour ride with a 230pm departure from Portland ME, perfect for me coming from ALB most likely.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

I thought I saw the Portland based ferry was not operating any more, only the ferry from St. John to Digby is running now. We have property about an hour from Digby.

John
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
there is an established camp spots at Grout Pond off kelly strand-arlington road. not alot van/vehicle accessible but has a nice(fwiw) vault toilet
and a great kayaking on Grout pond

also an established campground on the road down to Somerset/searsburg also with vault toilets. and easy river access for playing inthe river rocks (not deep water)
there is a nearby boat launch at Somerset dam too.

access Kelly Strand from Kansas, VT or Searsburg, VT or Rt100 north of Mount snow

it's listed on Freecampsites.com but there is a iron ranger there and you shuld contribute to the use and upkeep.
https://freecampsites.net/#!327&query=sitedetails

Quote:
Green Mountain National Forest
Sixteen hundred acres of the Forest set aside for recreation. Grout Pond is very popular for camping, hiking, canoeing, and fishing. It is open year-round and no camp fee is required, donations are accepted at the lower parking area bulletin board. Donations are utilized solely for Grout Pond Recreation Area. A Green Mountain National Forest campground host is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day to assist visitors and answer questions. Due to the high amount of use and the effects on the surrounding environment, camping is allowed in designated sites only. Please use pads and platforms provided. Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis.

There are 6 vehicle accessible campsites, an open day-use area, and a barrier-free vault toilet. Down near the parking area there are another barrier-free vault toilet, a hand pump for drinking water, a 200-foot boat portage with an unloading area, and 5 day-use picnic areas with grills. Each campsite has a picnic table, a tent platform or pad, and a fire ring. Plenty of hiking opportunities also exist with over 10 miles of trails, marked with blue diamonds.

Directions:
From Route 100 in West Wardsboro, travel west on the Stratton-Arlington Road (aka: Kelley Stand Road) for about 6.0 miles and turn left onto Forest Road 262. Follow FR 262 to the end.

Somerset airfield

https://freecampsites.net/#!9891&query=sitedetails
and 2nd entry
https://freecampsites.net/#!340&query=sitedetails

Quote:
about 6 miles in off of Fireroad 71 after the third bridge bear left away from the sign that says to Somerset reservoir.
The road in is Gravel and 6 miles from a paved road. old airfield camp ground is open year round. There are 6-15 campsites at this location and the maximum RV length is 45 feet. You may stay 14 at old airfield camp ground.

great resource! Thanks! Makes me want to cancel our reservations in New Hampshire!

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Cape,MA,or lower NH and Vermont need place to camp Reply with quote

I've been researching camping on Cape Cod in Winter and so far the only place I've found is Scusset Beach State Park. While technically NOT on the Cape, it is as close as you can get, just before the bridge. They are open Thursday through Saturday nights. The info on hookups and all the rest is on their website. Their number is 508 888 0859. I haven't stayed there but thought someone might want the info.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: