Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Filter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

I need a fuel filter.

My gas tank is clean and restored.

But often (before using fuel filter) I found small blocking parts into carburator's jets.

The most frequently blocked jet is the enrichment jet, its obstruction has effect on acceleration and is quickly detected.

No more obstructions from when I use fuel filter.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Remember that the German fuel line just tightens up the more you tug on it.

True but the problem these days is that the gas eats away the fuel lines so the ends crack and can pull right off with almost no effort.

EverettB how often do you have to replace the fuel lines with whatever additive that is causing the cracking problem?

If the ends crack just replace the whole flex fuel lines. Just cutting them shorter is just asking for a VW BBQ.

For us up here we replace flex fuel lines every two years even before signs of cracking and with all the ethanol used up here with no problem.
Certainly if we lived somewhere that the local fuel seemed to attack the German flex fuel line far sooner would either replace all that much more often or switch to a new flex fuel line that can handle stuff.

Best guess is 6-18 months, it seemed to be random on when they looked bad.
I don't personally cut them shorter.
No need because I have a huge roll of line I got years ago I'm using up.

In my "daily driver" '63 I switched to modern fuel lines, they still look perfect and it's been at least 3 years. I should buy more.

That's something I have been pondering myself - Kind of sacraligeous but have started using more of the stuff from my FLAPS instead of the braided stuff. Will still use the german brake reservoir and vac hoes, but not been happy with how the fuel line if holding up.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

That's something I have been pondering myself - Kind of sacraligeous but have started using more of the stuff from my FLAPS instead of the braided stuff. Will still use the german brake reservoir and vac hoes, but not been happy with how the fuel line if holding up.

How many here are using as stock as possible bias ply tires? Bet the majority of folks are using modern radials, just like us.
So if the new flex line holds up better, and makes your VW safer.... Maybe someone soon will come up with a cloth cover for your modern flex fuel lines or hopefully the German fuel line manufacture will update their material to work better for you.
Just recently saw the tire companies now are coming out with bias ply look tires that are radial!
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Cannot imagine anyone duplicating a bias tire. Crap to start with and the worst possible tire for handling. The U.S. was so far behind the rest of the world it was shameful., Europe had the radial far ahead of the U.S., but the manufactures here stayed with the bias ply. One of the reason the U.S. manufactures still are sucking air. Idiots. Even the look of a bias ply makes me barf.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Totally understand the bias ply look for some cars. Radials are so superior, but look so wrong on many vintage cars. As far as the braid or no braid look, that isnt important to me at all. Just sucks that I felt that spending that extra money was going to give me a better hose...and it didnt. And I probably have 15 to 20 feet of it left.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Harris wrote:
hitest wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
With German fuel flex fuel lines clamps only needed between carb and fuel pump where there is fuel pressure.

I usually agree- but with a section of the line hanging and swinging like that- with the added weight of the full filter- I'd clamp it to be safe under there. But yes, in stock arrangements, the low pressure requires no clamping.

I agree with Hitest you take measures to limit the line to NO movement.

Mine now has a Hastings metal filter. No movement
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fuel preheater.

I saw that too heat transfer induction creating a vapor lock .

Last edited by Helfen on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901747

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

" If " you are going to do a bracket for the filter do it the right way. This is the right way. It's one of the best ways I've seen and away from the heat, away from the boot. Nice job!!!!

Last edited by Helfen on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I've checked mine in 100 plus outside temp after driving. The filter was warm but not hot. I did not know or could find this on Samba the " correct" way to do it, but actually mine is correct for me and since it causes no problems. Who made the bracket on your photo Glenn??

Lou
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I've checked mine in 100 plus outside temp after driving. The filter was warm but not hot. I did not know or could find this on Samba the " correct" way to do it, but actually mine is correct for me and since it causes no problems. Who made the bracket on your photo Glenn??

Lou

Harris' looks crazy to me like it would transfer heat from the heater box but then I realized that since it's a plastic filter it probably doesn't transfer much heat that way.
I might be concerned about a cheap plastic filter there getting fatigued though.

Of course having it next to the transmission seems crazy to me overall - it's often next to the heater boxes, it's hard to visually check the filter, it's hard to change the filter.

I like it in the engine compartment (oh no! but not hanging loose) or under the gas tank up front.
Gas tank up front is harder to check than next to the engine but still easier than the transmission location.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Harris wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Lou

Harris' looks crazy to me like it would transfer heat from the heater box but then I realized that since it's a plastic filter it probably doesn't transfer much heat that way.
I might be concerned about a cheap plastic filter there getting fatigued though.

Of course having it next to the transmission seems crazy to me overall - it's often next to the heater boxes, it's hard to visually check the filter, it's hard to change the filter.

I like it in the engine compartment (oh no! but not hanging loose) or under the gas tank up front.
Gas tank up front is harder to check than next to the engine but still easier than the transmission location.

I'm with you on that one. Even in the engine compartment though, you can watch the bubbles in the filter after a 10 minute hot soak. Never did that before ethanol.
slagathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Harris wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Lou

i have 2 filters in my fuel system

i have 1 under the gas tank. its not to hard to check, i just wait until the tank is almost empty and the unbolt the tank and pull up to look at it.

the second is mounted right next to the transmission where the hard fuel line comes out of the tunnel

plus the screens on my kadrons. i pulled these filters a couple weeks ago and found a very tiny amount dirt in a very fine powder form trapped in them.

im thinking of adding this filter (since i already have it) in my engine compartment for a total of 3 filters plus 2 in the carbs
http://www.bughaus.com/Fuel_Filter_-_35184R.htm
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

I'm with Everett. I sometimes even run two filters, one just after the tank and one after the pump. And I have seen the second filter stop some small particles that made it past the first filter and the pump. I use smooth hose clamps and always have the brass fuel inlet safety wired in place. I only use Gates Barricade fuel hose now (make sure your fuel line is R14 or better, O'reilly usually has it in stock).
A few years ago I had a '63 beetle with new German braided line that cracked and turned a bit "slimy" on the inside after maybe 6 months, causing gas to leak in my engine compartment. I have Gates on my bus and it is still in great condition after several years. Braided line is down there with red urethane steering couplers and tranny mounts in my book.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Observation. The black strap over the filter is NOT metal--no transfer of heat to the filter. More air comes under the car than ever went through the engine behind the lid --no problems at all. I live in Texas. Not cool here in the summer. Strange looking, but it works

Still no word on who made Glenn's "correct set up". who made this and why is it correct? Answer Glenn!!!

Lou
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
Observation. The black strap over the filter is NOT metal--no transfer of heat to the filter. More air comes under the car than ever went through the engine behind the lid --no problems at all. I live in Texas. Not cool here in the summer. Strange looking, but it works

Cool (haha), I didn't realize that piece was not metal.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
I'm with Everett. I sometimes even run two filters, one just after the tank and one after the pump. And I have seen the second filter stop some small particles that made it past the first filter and the pump. I use smooth hose clamps and always have the brass fuel inlet safety wired in place. I only use Gates Barricade fuel hose now (make sure your fuel line is R14 or better, O'reilly usually has it in stock).
A few years ago I had a '63 beetle with new German braided line that cracked and turned a bit "slimy" on the inside after maybe 6 months, causing gas to leak in my engine compartment. I have Gates on my bus and it is still in great condition after several years. Braided line is down there with red urethane steering couplers and tranny mounts in my book.

I did the same thing with Harley fuel shut off at the tank and before the filter. Took the tank shut off out after realizing 2 was not necessary. Mine is a 40 hp with a screw inlet Pierburg pump. Shut off prevents fuel everywhere in changing the pump.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:

Still no word on who made Glenn's "correct set up". who made this and why is it correct? Answer Glenn!!!

Lou

There's an ad in the classified.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

So Glenn who made it?

lou
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

lou

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Harris wrote:
So Glenn who made it?

lou

looks really slick but there are no captive nuts holding the right side on it. You would have to use an allen wrench and an regular wrench and remove both screws to change the filter.

I would have used captive nuts and made it so you only have to remove one screw and the right section would clamp around the grommet and rotate out of the way. That would make it much easier to replace the filter.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: