Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Storage options abound under my Van...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

So I think this is a great idea! I always love creative storage solutions! If I didnt have a parts bin in there I would probably do something similar

My observation is actually opposite of the heat, I dont think heat would be too big issue, more cold.

I know lead acid batteries, well, all batteries struggle in the cold. Do you think having them under the van like that wont shorten their lives in the winter?

Or just in general? Im not 100% about batteries in relation to cold weather, but I have always thought that cold drains the battery faster.

Either way, its a unique idea and I like it!
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Thanks. Interesting counterpoint. Coincidentally, this morning while I searched for some thermal wrap to buy, battery heaters kept popping up. But research would indicate that they are not needed for the mild freezing temperatures we experience here in SoCal. The coldest my van has ever seen while I've owned it is 19 degrees. For one night. Then we got the heck out of there. Shocked Too cold for this desert dweller.

So no, the cold temperatures they are likely to experience while in my care are well within the batteries comfort zone. I'm the weak link here, not the batteries. Laughing Those living in colder climates may have a better idea of what is necessary for battery survival in those conditions.

I wound up ordering some handy Thermal Wraps to put on the batteries.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/13200/10002/-...oCRcDw_wcB

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

In regards to the cold, I believe that the cold just slows down the reaction and causes it to operate at diminished capacity. It wont damage it unless it is severely discharged and unable to avoid freezing, thus cracking the shell. Then again, any battery that is severely discharged is in trouble already.

Bo
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

A fully charged flooded cell will not freeze until -95* F ....... Though if the battery is old and not fully charged you should start being concerned about -50* F or so.

Discharged? Right around freezing.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Well I have the thermal wrap in hand, and have ordered an indoor/outdoor thermometer. I plan on placing the outdoor sensor directly in front of the batteries just to find out what temperature the air is when it arrives at that point. Eventually I'll move it to where it will more accurately reflect true outdoor temps.

But today, I had a little more time with the die grinder and welder. I built the tray and mounted the aluminum ammo box under the van in front of the batteries.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Placed it under the van to determine the location for the front bolt bracket.

Cut the diamond plate, painted, and mounted the box. I need to pick up some more paint as I want to paint the box as well.

The way the hinged back rail is cut, the tray will only drop this far, which is more than enough to load my extra parts into it.

The unit closed up and ready to roll.

Need to run by my hardware store and pick up some clips and bolts to finish this up. Still need to wire in the fusible links at the front and rear.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for the Aftermarket Reply with quote

I've long had my own thoughts about one particular piece of storage under Winston. Two of the bolts for a second propane tank are under his sliding door--what I'd like to make or have made for that space is a box that would hold the largest possible FIRE EXTINGUISHER, padded and waterproofed, in a way that would let you get at it quickly.

I could imagine a sort of lanyard or ring latch,you'd bend down, yank on that, and the extinguisher would fall almost into your hand. That would be handy in the event of a campsite fire, a more distant emergency or... That which we dread but do not name.

Shocked

Right now mine's in the bench and fairly accessible, but when seconds count, I'd like to count less of them.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

The ammo can is a great idea and will probably really cut down on any loss of efficiency in the cold as well as protect it from the elements.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Great job Tim. Someone should make these for the less technically inclined.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
DLJ wrote:
Tim: I solved some of my storage problem by fabricating a metal box to fit up under sliding door.
I have the plans for the storage box if your interested.
You can see this for yourself at CHC event at Joshua Tree next month.

Thanks Dave, I remember you telling me about that box and want one of my own. I'll have to get those plans from you.

atomatom wrote:
also, love the ideas tim. however, i'd be a bit concerned about battery acid in the face. i guess you must have gel type ones or similar.

presume you've seen the peacevans battery box

Not too concerned about it, and mine are standard deep cycle batteries from WalMart, not gel. Theoretically it could happen if I dropped the batteries down suddenly, but that isn't something I would do to a bottom access battery storage on any vehicle. I hadn't seen peacevans battery box. Looks like a beautiful job building one. Thanks for sharing their info.

FWIW, I have had battery acid in the face before. Way back in 1984 I owned a '52 Ford 2dr Sedan, Flathead, Fordomatic, 6 volt, '54 Chevy Grille with extra teeth, Lowered, Moon Disk, etc. Cool ride. Anyway, wrenching on it one weekend I was charging the battery, and leaning over with my face 6" from the battery tinkering with the distributor. Apparently I was trapping the fumes of it charging, and a spark from the distributor ignited those fumes. I remember seeing the top of the battery disintegrate with a big boom, next thing I remember is laying on the ground with my ears ringing, glasses knocked off my face. I ran into the house and frantically sprayed my open eyes with water at the kitchen sink. Then my wife rushed me to the hospital where they flushed both eyes with saline solution. They put stitches in my lip where a tooth had broken off, and my forehead where a shard had gashed me. About 14 stitches total, if I remember correctly. My entire face was bruised. I looked like I went about 3 seconds with Mike Tyson in his heyday. Laughing Not my finest moment. Shocked Embarassed Confused

Needless to say, I don't take unnecessary risk with batteries anymore. But in this case, I don't see a risk with prudent caution when servicing.

Got a little progress done this morning. Finished up the tray and struts.

The struts are built of square tubing with 5/16" allthread run inside it. All nuts are nylocks. Battery hold downs are flat stock and 1/4"/20 allthread.

One potential problem with the battery location chosen under the van is the proximity to the rubber and plastic hoses, pipes. and the shift mechanism keep it clean. batteries can fume acid you could mount a protective sheet of polyethylene above the battery. Polyethylene would be resistant to the acid and keep fumes from condensing on the underbody parts.

the storage areas you have come up with must be a lot of fun going thru a customs check point! Hey Rocky watch me pull a rabbit out of my van!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

One potential problem with the battery location chosen under the van is the proximity to the rubber and plastic hoses, pipes. and the shift mechanism keep it clean. batteries can fume acid you could mount a protective sheet of polyethylene above the battery. Polyethylene would be resistant to the acid and keep fumes from condensing on the underbody parts.

Interesting theory Bluebus.

I wonder though... the stock battery location for my Vanagon is in an enclosed metal box, with a metal lid, no airflow, and very little venting, and yet the metal cover is pristine after 27 years. Obviously the engineers were justified in their decision regarding placement.

Or I consider where my aux batteries have been stored, under the back seat. A small area with little venting and no airflow, next to the rear heater and its rubber hoses, and the ECU with its attendant wiring. No damage discernible to the naked eye after four years, including the seat foam directly over the batteries.

Under the van though, airflow is excellent even if a bit warm, and venting is abundant. Not too worried about metal and grease covered objects considering the aforementioned metal battery cover. For that matter, over the 40 plus years I've been wrenching on cars, the only time I remember seeing damage around the battery was from an overcharging alternator or a leaking case. But that was typically contained to the battery tray and points below.

I am considering doing something about the radiator hoses lying directly on the top of the batteries though. I have some FRP I may cut to provide shielding to keep it from wearing more than anything else. The battery top doesn't have any sharp edges, but, it wouldn't hurt to include it. The bonus is it could partially shield against those fumes too.

I did receive the thermal wrap for the batteries and got it installed.

I received the indoor/outdoor thermometer too, just need to install it. I'm really interested to see how much heat is actually reaching the batteries. I think I'll rig it up in Lady Shadetree's Tiguan first to establish a baseline of acceptable temps.

And now for another short story from my youth regarding batteries. This one may save you from being stranded. It was 35 years ago and I was a 19 year old exploring the world. A coworker a few years older than me suggested some exploring I could do in the backseat of her late '70s Chevy Blazer... Shocked

As we tried to return to civilization, her Blazer wouldn't start. Popping the hood I discovered the battery was very low on water. Every plate was showing. The only liquid she had with her was a bottle of Coors Light. We didn't have much to lose so I poured it in the battery... and the Blazer fired right up. Cool

Unfortunately, as it charged, the battery began slowly pushing foam out the vents, so obviously it wasn't a great or permanent fix. But it may get you back to civilization some day. It saved me from walking 10 miles for help. Wink And she was planning on buying a new battery anyway.

'74 Jeep CJ5
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Funny that someone just spoke to me about battery boxes last night. Then today, I run into this thread. I live in a metropolitan area where theft of catalytic converters and other easily accessible from the underside of a parked vehicle. Especially vulnerable are SUV's and lifted Vanagons. What are you doing to protect your expensive battery investments?

If you had a choice, what would be your ideal dimensions for a battery box? Desert Fox makes stainless steel fuel/water tanks which can just as easily be built as a battery box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: