Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is this and what goes here?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerthomson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

What is this? Small hose off intake on driver's side of engine. See pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What goes here? Bottom right, in front of native air cleaner.
I have read that it is something that has to do with the air clear but have not found out what and why (see pic). The thing that goes in there is about 8x4x2 inches and has tubing off each end (see pic of green engine)

Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

That bottom right I believe is the charcoal canister to filter the fuel vapors (off the breather line) from the gas tank.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

First pic~It was a vacuum line that went to the altitude compensator/throttle positioner? Just smog stuff - make sure it's capped and sealed well if you don't plan on using that equipment.
kerthomson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

thank you. How important is the filter for the gas breather line?
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

kerthomson wrote:
thank you. How important is the filter for the gas breather line?

It was used to help with EPA standards, I believe... in terms of car function, its not critical...the theory behind it is that a vent line would come from your tank, into a forward charcoal canister...which would filter the initial fumes, then route to the back into another canister that would filter again and then route the fumes into the engine to burn off... (Or something like that). I don't have mine, and I don't see many that still have it.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this and what goes here? Reply with quote

It won't affect anything performance wise, all it does is filter out fuel vapors - more emissions stuff. you'll just need to cap the nipple on the fan shroud (top passenger side)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: