Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW GoKart (formula Vee)
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

I know there is at least one photo of this contraption on the internet, here are some more. (a little more up close)

this thing came up on craigslist (in Texas near Austin i think) a while back so i saved the pictures of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by TwinkyZulu on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula V) Reply with quote

I WANT IT!!!!!!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

Now that looks like fun.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

As many times as I have seen pictures of that, I've never once seen a picture someone sitting in it. I'm not familiar enough with FV chassis to know if this is simply a naked Vee chassis, but it doesn't look like a one off chassis to me.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

There are people much more knowledgable about them but I owned one that was heavily campaigned in the 80s, the one pictured would not be race worthy due to lack of side impact beams & would not be in fv class because of wheels & dual port heads & dual carbs. At 6'3", I did not fit & sold it to someone looking for a car with SCCA logbooks (the only way to campaign one in vintage class, as I understand it), but he was going to have the chassis lengthened & widened. As raced, it also didn't have a generator or fan/shroud as they were additional weight/drag.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

formula first is much more open to newer VW stuff like dual port engines, ball joint front suspension and such. could have been for auto cross or something. looks like a lot of good work for a toy.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

I still don't think it would pass a tech inspection without side impact protection. I also don't think any of them used extended spring plates to get the mid engine configuration to clear the torsion housing (torsion housing would be too much additional weight & the spring plates would be a little suspect after being modified. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun though.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

Looks similar to this Caldwell Chassisbut they are running the springplates and torsion.

http://bellaphotographics.com/Formula%20Vee/pages/Caldwell%20D13%20FormulaVee%2043.htm
Machette Speedster
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
Looks similar to this Caldwell Chassisbut they are running the springplates and torsion.

http://bellaphotographics.com/Formula%20Vee/pages/Caldwell%20D13%20FormulaVee%2043.htm

The vehicle that you referenced is not using the torsion housing or modified spring plates, it is using the "zero roll" style monoshock suspension & the bars coming foward from the axle tubes are effectively a strut rod.

Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

Dope! I bet it is fast as hell.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

The vehicle that you referenced is not using the torsion housing or modified spring plates, it is using the "zero roll" style monoshock suspension & the bars coming foward from the axle tubes are effectively a strut rod.

My how glasses make things clearer. I didn't see the bars coming from the axle tubes originally. sounds right.
Machette Speedster
TwinkyZulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW GoKart (formula Vee) Reply with quote

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/autocross-racecar-track-ready/6687451774.html

For Sale if anyone’s interested!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: