Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wiper arm modification
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
And with all the issues that Mercedes had with them as they get older. God know you do not need more crap to go wrong with what you already have.

Yeah, I've had the rivets on those pivot arms come unpopped on me during a rain squall just south of Tacoma. I was able to re-peen them afterwards. The real flaw in this hypothetical installation on a van, is that MB actually carved out an arc in the bottom of the windshield in order to fit these, and I don't think setting them lower than that would work as well...besides the fact that you'd need to completely re-engineer the front cowl. I honestly don't think the van's swept area is really that bad.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
This morning Inhappened to remember my 1970 Chevelle Malibu.....

In the late 1960's and into the early 1970's GM was bothered by unwiped glass area.

Wipers follow an arc creating semi circles of clear glass.

Bynusing an articulating wiper head, a connecting linkage and a pin near the wiper pivot they were able to eliminate the Wiper following the full arc and actually rotate at the top of the arc and slide sideways rather than continue the wiping arc.

Here are some photos that may help understand ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Hey, that was what I was trying to describe just above!! That's awesome Razz Razz
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
The stick represents the location of where the passenger wiper arm SHOULD be.

It has always bugged me that the engineers got the pivot position in the wrong place.

Location may be the best for left hand & right hand drive vehicles. A lot of work for small benefit only enjoyed in the snowy months. You will have to make a little sign pointing it out as nobody will ever notice the mod. And will it violate the original paint? Hmmm. And this from a guy who takes on esoteric projects at the drop of a hat.....(me). Cool

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Location may be the best for left hand & right hand drive vehicles.

No, RHD wipers are mirror opposite of LHD
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Sodo wrote:

What?! No pictures?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

If you want to really make a mountain out of a molehill, chop the top the three inches the wiper arm is short.

Done--the blades will get the void outa the glass lickety split.

As long as you want to kill some time, this is the way to go. Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
If you want to really make a mountain out of a molehill, chop the top the three inches the wiper arm is short.

But then he will need shorter wiper blades because the roof is three inches lower...... Same arc, same problem only now your head is mashed into the roof and you NEED that two / three inches of clear glass!

A shorter seat bottom would be easier.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

There ya go Dave, chop the top, lower the seat-- perfect.

Go for the gusto.
Make it a real project.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
What?! No pictures?
Dave

Oops. Here's a pretty one. Narenda.vw's PSD Passenger Side Drive Shocked Caravelle in INDIA.

Terry Kay wrote:

Yes. Or an anthill out of a molehill Wink cut 1 1/2" out of the wiper arm and use wiper blade 3" longer. Can set the right side tip exactly where you want it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

I would really like to see a before & after picture of this operation--shortened arms.
Then the final swing of both arms on the glass.

A youtube video would be fine.

You just lost the opportunity of being cool.
Nobody will notice you're shorted arms.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

To address the issue of the uncleared area of the windshield from my perspective; I do sit very high in car seats. I once rented a Mercedes 190 in Europe and could not sit up straight as my head hit the overhead. So the unswept area does bother me.

For every project that we imagine, there are a bunch that "need" to be done because a genuine improvement can be made. There are also ones that "need" to be done just because the perceived issue, although not really that important, is something that we simply want to do. My log shows that I have made 65 modifications to the Carat. Other than headlight relays, headlight upgrades and probably a half dozen others, none of the other 57 really "needed" to be done, but I wanted to. And it has made my car/bus/Vanagon a great source of pleasure for me every time I open the door to get in.

So, do I really need 70 more square inches + or - to be clear on my windshield? Probably not, but I enjoy inventing problems and then solving them so I very well may mess with the wiper situation when the dash is out. This approach is what drove my successful heated steering wheel project (not one of the 65 since the final version is waiting for warmer weather). Then again something else may jump higher on the priority like the sliding glass 46" x 46" sunroof that has been designed and engineered, or the power left rear window to replace the fixed glass there. Or I may just drive the car to Connecticut and get on my sailboat (way more than 300 mods) and go sailing.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

Got out my spare wiper assembly and I have to say, this is going to be one of the easiest mods I'll have done.

All that is required is to remove a section of the long link by the distance to move the pivot, reweld, and add that same amount into the short link and the motor mount. The factory motor mounts in the cowl can be used and the driver's side pivot will just go back in it's original hole. The passenger's side pivot will get cut out and be welded in the new location and the cut-out welded back in the old position. Body putty, primer and a bit of paint. 25 years of stone dings and road sand blasting has taken it's toll, so this would be the perfect time to gussie up the old girl.

In terms of the washer--

This was a mod I made years ago to accept arm mounted washer jets. I was sick of the blade blocking the stream. It works incredibly well as it sprays in a large fan pattern both above and below and the full length of the blade. A small hole gets drilled in the tin and a grommet surrounds the rubber tube which doesn't seem to mind the twisting. Before, I just abandoned the old jets, but with welding and new paint this will be the time to do it right.

D
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
this would be the perfect time to gussie up the old girl.
this will be the time to do it right.

Press on brother! You only have to satisfy yourself. And you can comb your hair too! Cool

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
This morning Inhappened to remember my 1970 Chevelle Malibu.....

In the late 1960's and into the early 1970's GM was bothered by unwiped glass area.

Wipers follow an arc creating semi circles of clear glass.

Bynusing an articulating wiper head, a connecting linkage and a pin near the wiper pivot they were able to eliminate the Wiper following the full arc and actually rotate at the top of the arc and slide sideways rather than continue the wiping arc.

Here are some photos that may help understand ?

Dave

Hey, that was what I was trying to describe just above!! That's awesome Razz Razz

And now I know the name of this system: it's called a pantograph, or at least that's what I found doing some research, came across some threads on the bus forum.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

I considered the pantograph concept by just adding a new dummy arm and pivot where I wanted it, but decided that it would just be extra parts to ice up and wear out. The pantograph system is what the busses and trucks use so the blade stays mostly vertical and effectively wipes sideways. Our small area of glass should do fine (as millions of owners haven't really complained) with the conventional passenger car system. My only complaint was they just didn't get the passenger pivot in the right spot which will get corrected this summer. As I go with the welding, etc., I'll take a bunch of photos and post them right at the end of the project so that it won't take too much time to cover the thing from start to finish.

I'm amazed that with all the Vanagon nuts we all are that no one else seemed to wonder about the wiper geometry. As Butcher said, I guess I'm just one of those guys who seems to like to "go against the grain"

The wiper is only because I have to replace the front heater motor as the left outboard bearing is so worn that the shaft wobbles around with a 100db chatter. As with all my Vanagons I inserted a copper oiler tube that goes down through the dash and plastic of the blower chamber delivering the oil directly to the bearing. A drop or two every 4 months and you NEVER have to worry. Unfortunately, the PO let it sit frozen too long and the corrosion ruined the shaft even after freeing it up. The real against-the-grain Summer project is going to be using a powered passenger door window to replace the fixed left rear glass with a triangular bit of fixed glass to fill in the rest of the space. I'll create a thread for that one as it develops.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper arm modification Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
The real against-the-grain Summer project is going to be using a powered passenger door window to replace the fixed left rear glass with a triangular bit of fixed glass to fill in the rest of the space. I'll create a thread for that one as it develops.

Looking forward to seeing this mod!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: