Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Mine didn't come with one. I could look in salvage yards (if I knew what to call it), but does anyone make a replacement panel? Once I know the name, maybe I'll search the Samba classifieds for one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Crash plate.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/6666946.jpg

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

OK, thanks.
Nothing turned up on a search in the classifieds. I'm betting this isn't a reproduced part, and I'm also betting I won't find a decent one in the Northeast salvage yards.

Time to go West young man! Wink
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

I just saw one for sale in the Classifieds.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1890714

I think I got the whole ad this time.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Look at my second post. Press the link. Make sure it will fit your year.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

One state over bro!

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=crash+plate

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I just saw one for sale in the Classifieds.

I think I got the whole ad this time.

Tim

Great, thanks Tim. I searched on "crash plate" but didn't find anything. Of course he didn't call it a "crash plate"!

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
One state over bro!

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=crash+plate

You beat me to it! I was going to check Bug City tonight. They actually called it a "crash plate"!

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Rockorod's suggestion might be the better way to go. Their ad says it's a used VW crash plate. So it's the real deal. Ten bucks more; but if it's a lemon, you will have bought it from a vendor who will stand by his parts.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Rockorod's suggestion might be the better way to go. Their ad says it's a used VW crash plate. So it's the real deal. Ten bucks more; but if it's a lemon, you will have bought it from a vendor who will stand by his parts.

Tim

Yep, less than 2 hours away from me. Like to give the local guy my business. Just ordered! You know, as a way to get some more weight in the front end, I might just weld a bottom on that and look into adding some weight to it, before I paint it the same color as the rest of my pan. The old Porsche 911's had lead bars bolted to the backside of the front bumpers to help keep the nose from floating at higher speeds.

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Yep, less than 2 hours away from me. Like to give the local guy my business. Just ordered! You know, as a way to get some more weight in the front end, I might just weld a bottom on that and look into adding some weight to it, before I paint it the same color as the rest of my pan. The old Porsche 911's had lead bars bolted to the backside of the front bumpers to help keep the nose from floating at higher speeds.

I was actually thinking this but did not suggest it as I wasn't sure if you were just going for a stock resto or something. but yeah, this would be a great way to add some weight to the front, especially if doing a steering/suspension upgrade. Wish there was an option like this on the standards!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

I just had the front end of my 1974 Super Beetle completed. All new bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. It drives perfectly. Adding any weight to the front end seems like it would be gilding the lily.

Throwing in a bag of sand is one thing, but welding on some weight seems like a procedure that you couldn't back away from, once you do it. And what psi would you run in the front, then?

Do you ordinarily go as fast as the Porsche driver? Do you live in a high-wind area? Will the extra weight slow you down? I don't know, it just seems like getting a tattoo that you might regret later.

Try a sand bag or two and see if you really get some benefit. If so, the go with the extra weight.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

and if you look at that one close, it looks like it did it's job Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I just had the front end of my 1974 Super Beetle completed. All new bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. It drives perfectly. Adding any weight to the front end seems like it would be gilding the lily.

Throwing in a bag of sand is one thing, but welding on some weight seems like a procedure that you couldn't back away from, once you do it. And what psi would you run in the front, then?

Do you ordinarily go as fast as the Porsche driver? Do you live in a high-wind area? Will the extra weight slow you down? I don't know, it just seems like getting a tattoo that you might regret later.

Try a sand bag or two and see if you really get some benefit. If so, the go with the extra weight.

Tim

I knew this was coming... Wink

Before the accident, I used to keep my double ball bowling ball bag (~32 lbs) in the front above the spare tire, and liked the feel of the steering. All my suspension and steering components were good. I feel the car tends to push in higher speed turns. I was thinking more along the lines of adding a hinged panel on the bottom that I could open, for one to get to the two bolts that attach that panel to the front of the frame head, and two that I could bolt up a weight block to. Obviously not permanent and variable as far as the amount of weight. I'm running Porsche 17 inch rims and tires, so correct PSI will have to be determined anyway. The reason it interested me is because it was down low, at or below the center-line of the wheel, and also wouldn't be seen. With as much fabrication as I've done to bring this car back from the dead, there's really nothing I can't undo, but I was looking at a more well thought out and executed mod. And yes, I do plan to drive the super like a Porsche!

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this called, and where can I get one? 74 SB Reply with quote

Just a shout out and Props to BugCity. I got the crash plate quickly and well packaged. To my surprise it came already sandblasted! All I had to do was wipe it down with Ospho and prime with Master Series Silver. Came out great. On to the front brake lines....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: