Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 Resurrection
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Time to share what I've been up to lately. A couple of years ago I found and bought this all-original 1966 coupe. I bought it from the second owner who's kept it in a garage untouched since 1986. My plan is to preserve as much of the originality as possible, but make it a reliable driver with some upgrades that can be swapped back for stock. Here is how I found her....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Nice Cool Seasand? Just needs a polish Laughing
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Looks like a great candidate. Congrats!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
Nice Cool Seasand? Just needs a polish Laughing

Possibly. I originally thought Savanah Beige, but now I can't find that as an option in '66. I did polish the roof and it came out nice, but that paint is thin!

Here's a few more shots..

The engine is seized and I tried every thing I could to get it loose, but no luck. It'll get stuffed in a corner somewhere so it stays with the car while I run something else...

The underside is greasy...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

thin paint is good...I love the look of "down to primer" patina.
I was under the impression the dash emblem started in 67. Original or added?
I love that dash!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I love that dash!!

I never thought about that, but based on the rest of the car, I can't imagine it not being original. Maybe they started with that late in '66?
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I love that dash!!

Here's a look at the roof after polish...

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Looks good from here Cool
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

You should be able to unseize the engine with some atf,marvels mystery, PB blaster - or similar down the intake and in plugs. Just be patient and keep turning it, don't try to force it too much though.

Looks great so far,
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
You should be able to unseize the engine with some atf,marvels mystery, PB blaster - or similar down the intake and in plugs. Just be patient and keep turning it, don't try to force it too much though.

Looks great so far,

^^^
I could not agree more. I did this to an engine and it worked. I also used engine oil in a metal oil can to squirt oil down the spark plug hole.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Everything on the dash looks cherry. What a nice straight car to start with.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
-Zodiac- wrote:

Looks great so far,

^^^
I could not agree more. I did this to an engine and it worked. I also used engine oil in a metal oil can to squirt oil down the spark plug hole.

I actually started with penetrating oil (I use Free-All) and then diesel. Took a funnel and hose and poured it through the plug holes like you mentioned. After a few days, nothing..... a few weeks, nothing. I left it in gear and tried rocking the car back and forth and you could see the crank try to move, but returned back to it's locked position (obviously the top end is stuck - not the bottom). After squirting it again with penetrating oil and more diesel and sitting another month or so, we put it out on the road with a tow bar to build some momentum then pop the clutch - all it did was smoke and flat spot the tires. One of these days I'll pull the heads to see if I can get the cylinders loose.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

After some research, I decided to rent a hot-water pressure washer to clean up the underside. I was quite happy with the outcome, although I did have to do a bit more scrubbing after I got the engine and tranny out.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

After final scrub down....

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Definitely a keeper.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

While I have no plans to refinish the outside of this car, the engine compartment needed some help. While all of the metal in there is original, The PO had sprayed rattle can primer over some surface rust. I cleaned that up, treated the surface with Ospho, and had just enough paint mixed to paint the engine compartment and the bumper brackets. Now onto the seals and such...

Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Great car! It looks like Sea Sand to me, the same as my own '66...which I also picked up in Washington.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Wow, what a find! I can't believe what a good condition you found her in... that dash is pretty perfect...
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

So I decided last night it was time for this thing to be a "roller" again. I've had these Atomwerks adjustable spring plates on the shelf for the better part of a year and got those on (waiting for the front susp. still). Transaxle went in pretty smoothly - a rebuilt '67 12v model with a SuperDiff. BTW - is there a special nut for the front mount that's 10mm i.d. and 15mm o.d.? I can't get a wrench on the standard 17mm o.d. nut. Axles are my original '66 short axles with powder coated tubes and backing plates, and new German boots and mounts.

I bought of a pair of 4-lug conversion drums to match my disc brakes up front and to run these OG Sprint Stars I've been sitting on awhile. The tires are the same size I ran on my old '64 Ghia - 185-55-15. Unfortunately, the deep offset rear wheels I have will not fit in the fenderwell!! So, I guess I need to find another pair of Sprint Stars with a different offset (my front rims fit just fine back there) and have them powder coated - OR - I look for a different set of wheels altogether. We shall see.....

WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

did the 67 tranny you installed include long axles? older (short) axles might give you more room....
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

WooleyNelson wrote:
did the 67 tranny you installed include long axles? older (short) axles might give you more room....

Yep. Short axles. I made a point of listing the use of short axles in my description because I knew that would be the first thing someone would ask. These wheels look cool, but just have a really bad offset for this tire on this car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: