Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corrosion inside engine case ok?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Corroded case
Run as-is?
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
JB weld
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Weld it up
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Throw it on the fire!
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

I have this AH case which has a thin spot in the back below the flywheel.

Anyone have an opinion on whether this is alright to ignore and use?

I could put some JB weld on there and smooth it out. I've never used JB weld inside an engine case before. I don't have a way to weld it up but I could take it somewhere and have it done by a local welding shop. Aside from this one spot, which looks pretty bad, there is not any other corrosion on the inside.

The outside has some pitting, but no holes I can see.

I suppose I could clean up another case but that's not my question....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

I say use it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that corrosion BUT that case looks like it was sandblasted. If you decide to run it, make sure you pull all the oil galley plugs, take out the oil pick up and make sure there isn't a speck of sand in there.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

Where's the bad spot?

I don't see any bad stuff

Hey that first picture came out kinda cool, is it really tinted brown like that? I could see that as a fun retro vw engine done up steampunk style polished copper fuel lines and that brass crank pulley that other guy bought off ebay from another thread.....

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Where's the bad spot?

I don't see any bad stuff

Hey that first picture came out kinda cool, is it really tinted brown like that? I could see that as a fun retro vw engine done up steampunk style polished copper fuel lines and that brass crank pulley that other guy bought off ebay from another thread.....

Jeff

Case is normal color. It was media blasted about six months ago.

This is the spot I was concerned with:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

x2 on the sand blast- pop the plugs and send a lot of hot steamy carwash juice down the galleys.

JB weld would sit down in there just fine-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Nothing wrong with that corrosion BUT that case looks like it was sandblasted. If you decide to run it, make sure you pull all the oil galley plugs, take out the oil pick up and make sure there isn't a speck of sand in there.

Thanks. I glass beaded it. You can see in the first picture every plug has been pulled.

I'll be sure to clean it out well.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

I would clean the pot hole out with brake-klean and fill it with PC7 epoxy and let it sit for a couple of days and build it, I don't like JB weld for any thing that goes over 200°, I know it say its good for it but I just don't like it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

Beadblasting any mag engine part=playing a dangerous game.
If a case has been bead blasted I consider it ruined.
Sorry to be negative, but that's how I feel about it after seeing it done a few times before.
It's just TOO easy to get the glass embedded in the surfaces.

If you have good control and clean it at high temperatures it might be ok, good luck!
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

X2 I would pass just because of the glass bead

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

Joe Bence wrote:
X2 I would pass just because of the glass bead

Yep, glass gets everywhere and is nearly impossible to clean out completely. We have a glass blast cabinet t work for parts. Big stuff like rods and external parts OK I'd never consider putting a case in there. If I was going to blast a case it would be walnut shells or soda.

brad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Corrosion inside engine case ok? Reply with quote

The guys in the vintage engine forums glass bead cases all the time. It's worked for me, YRMV.

I've used glass beads on a dozen builds and have never had a problem. Soda or walnut shells will not give you the same look. The engine in our '66 bus has 45,000 miles over four years and still works great. The engine before that had the same mileage before I put in in a bus we were selling.

Glass isn't going to simply "stick" to an engine case - it will stick to grease and oil. There are no half measures here - if you're going to do a half ass job media blasting the case then you are better off leaving it alone. If you're going to bead blast an engine case and expect to be finished in an hour - or even two - don't start. If you're going to spend an hour on it and then think the little dark spots sitting in the corners of the case are okay to leave then you are mistaken - those are the places the media will stick to.

Yes, when you're done I like to blow out all the passages, knock the case studs against a rubber floor mat, then submerge it in the solvent tank and use rifle brushes down all of the passages before blowing it out again.

Is it alot of work? Yes. Can the look be duplicated by another process? Not that I've found.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: