Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

original 72-74 dual carbs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
[what is the difference between a PDSIT carb and a PICT carb ???

Not a whole lot as already mentioned, you'll have to ask Tim why.
Quality rebuild parts are harder to find but far from extinct, they do cost more like most type 4 stuff but you have to buy them less often so it works out the same in the big picture. Some more complex gaskets don't exist and need to be hand cut, maybe it's that lean when hot thermovalve on the left carb (idle enrichment circuit) that scares him?. I've encountered many where the seal on the end of the bimetal strip is harder than flint, either replace it with a hole punching from a sheet of rubber or seal up the orfice so it's constantly in rich mode and adjust the idle accordingly (hot days may cause low idle and possible stalling if the RPM is really low). Don't forget the similar seal in the aircleaner preheat valve, it's likely just as petrified and both work together to make those carbs behave on hot days just as good as in the winter.
Shmartypants Germans with thier simple yet uber effective fixes, like most parts on a VW they all work together in a small way whether you realise it or not Wink .

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raul - it has been a long time since I worked on factory dual carbs on a VW engine. The last time in fact was on a type 3 engine in the early 1980's I restored for my brother. While it ran like a Swiss watch when I was done, but even back then carb parts were hard to come by. I remember driving to Santa Monica VW to buy gaskets and fittings for the linkage. It also took a while to find a shop that could re-bush the carb throttle bases as they wear something terrible over time and leak air like a barn door. The fellow who bushed them for me was in Pomona, Montclair, or LaVerne comes to mind as I recall, your neck of the woods.

I can't speak from my own experience on a 1972 bus but a good friend had a new one back in 1972- 1974. He loved the bus but had many issues with getting it to run right while it was still under warranty. Others might give different advice, but if I lived in SoCal and wasn't building a museum piece, I might look at other carb options for that engine to where I could get new carbs that have a warranty on them. You can probably get that model carb you have running really well, however based on my experience with used carbs, you may need to collect a box of them to get all the parts you need. Do consider other options. You might talk with someone like Desertbusman as I believe he runs duals. His location in Phoenix gets hotter than you do but the climate is not all that different. As long as the carb you put on has chokes and a short manifold you can get by without preheat unless you plan to overnight in the Sierra's with it in winter. Try to get sealed air cleaners though as open ones are quite noisy and the power gain on a bus is not noticeable. Just my 2 cents worth. Others may feel this advice is not the best and that the originals are what you should get. Go with what you feel is the best advice.

Good luck.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: carb kits Reply with quote

Back in the 70's & 80's the company to buy rebuild kits for Solex Carbs
was, www.royze.com and they had quality kits but, we prefered to use the
original needle & seats along with the washer as it became apparent the QC
was just not as good as Solex.

They are still in business and have been in Garden Grove,CA. for over 50 years.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: carb kits Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Back in the 70's & 80's the company to buy rebuild kits for Solex Carbs
was, www.royze.com and they had quality kits but, we prefered to use the
original needle & seats along with the washer as it became apparent the QC
was just not as good as Solex.

They are still in business and have been in Garden Grove,CA. for over 50 years.

Unfortunately, Royze has gone the way of many other suppliers. The last two kits I installed in a customer's retro-fit back to stock carbs on October 15th was missing some needed replacement parts, like the electromagnetic cut-off jet rubber seals.

Apropos of further up,
a) that preheater is important on any cool high humidity day.
b) worn throttle bushings are not that big a deal with the central idling circuit easily able to overpower the slight leaning out at the dual carbs.
Colin
(p.s. my customer is far happier with the stock carbs than the progressive centermount he jettisoned)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, aircleaner preheat is a must but do test the valve to cofirm it works as advertised. Slightly worn bushings can be tuned around, but I've seen some with up to .020" or more play, that reaches the point where the CIS can't keep up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic I suppose, but figured this is a good place to post this.

I rebushed the throttle shafts a while back. Figured I would show some pictures. The stock bushings are pretty wimpy as you can see in the comparison photo. I removed the bronze bushings and the nylon(?) split inserts, then drilled out the ends with a 3/8in drill to a depth of 1/2in. The new bearings are iglide T500 bearings made by igus of Germany. They are a poly composit bearing with solid lubricants and fiber reinforcements. The fiber gives structure to the polymer to keep it from cold flowing. Solid lubricants do a good job of keeping friction and wear down from the throttle shaft pivoting. Dimensions are 5/16"id, 3/8"od, and 1/2"length. Throttle shafts were originally 8mm, which is slightly larger than 5/16". I sanded down the throttle shafts on the drill press until they were a nice fit in the new bearings. They should wear much much better than the factory bushings due to the fact that they are as tough as sintered bronze, have a much larger surface area, and galvanic corrosion won't eat away at the steel throttle shafts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: 021 129 649 Replacement Hose, Air Cleaner To Carburetor T2 Reply with quote

Tech tip for those looking to replace their old, cracked, and leaking rubber 90deg elbow fittings on the central idle circuit intake pipe...

I found this to be an alternative to OEM replacement rubber elbows. It replaces both the elbows and the steel tube. Available off the shelf in most Autozone stores and sold as an emissions hose for 5.7 Chrysler HEMI engines. It just so happens to fit perfectly on 72-74 engines with factory dual carbs. With the bends in it and thicker wall, it isn't as likely to kink as simply running a length of fuel hose looped over between the air cleaner elbow and the carburetor. Hope someone finds this useful.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Wow, it fits like a Volkswagen part! Nice job!! Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

thanks vanapplebomb, i'm going to try to find that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Sweet!, looks like it was made for the job.

Слава Україні!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Pretty easy to find at any autozone. Most stores have it hanging on the racks near fuel line repair, emissions, and other vehicle hardware stuff. Just walk back and forth thru the isles, you will find it. Hard to miss with its unique shape. That is how I stumbled upon it in the first place. Hey, that's a funny shaped hose...hey, thats actually about the right shape and size for original dual carbs. Bought it on a whim knowing I could just bring it back if it didn't work, but it actually fit like an original part.

Probably available at many other auto parts houses as well.

sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 129 649 Replacement Hose, Air Cleaner To Carburetor T2 Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Tech tip for those looking to replace their old, cracked, and leaking rubber 90deg elbow fittings on the central idle circuit intake pipe...

I found this to be an alternative to OEM replacement rubber elbows. It replaces both the elbows and the steel tube. Available off the shelf in most Autozone stores and sold as an emissions hose for 5.7 Chrysler HEMI engines. It just so happens to fit perfectly on 72-74 engines with factory dual carbs. With the bends in it and thicker wall, it isn't as likely to kink as simply running a length of fuel hose looped over between the air cleaner elbow and the carburetor. Hope someone finds this useful.

This is a part I was missing for my duals Thanks for posting
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Stopped at the bike shop and picked up a junk punctured inner tube from a snow/sand bike (fat tires). I cut it into a couple sections with a straight edge and razor to make air cleaner elbow seals. Original factory ones are old, hardened with age, and have lost all elasticity. No stretch, no seal. These inner tube sections fit nice and tight like they would have originally been from the factory. Trick is to stretch them over the elbows, roll the ends back, slip the elbows on, then unroll the seals over the slip joint.

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

I have a factory tool kit to make the throttle shaft repair. I would have to find it, haven't seen it in years, but it has to be in my garage....I think it was Hazet....they may still have some available.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

finally made it out to the 'zone...as described:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1498471.jpg
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

finally made it out to the 'zone...as described:

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Nice. Slide the long end over the carbs intake and the short end over the nipple in the air cleaner elbow.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

I find that often the fresh air hose spring steel clip is cracked off on these old filters. See the white arrow in the first picture from the service manual. I ended up slightly modifying a spare air cleaner clip. I had to trim about half an inch off the bottom and slightly tweak the clip into a slightly different shape. Once I had the clip Loking the way I wanted I drilled a hole through the clip and air cleaner housing, then fixed it in place with a steel pop rivet.

pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

This is a question for Vanapplebomb. How are the Igus T500 bearings performing as throttle shaft bushings? It appears we can order the 8mm x 10mm x 10mm directly from Igus. So should be a direct fit. Thanks.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: original 72-74 dual carbs Reply with quote

Just to piggyback off this thread, I'm guessing then that there isn't a real problem if you put '72 carbs on a '73 engine? Besides maybe lack of the EGR system? Which I was gonna delete anyway

Will the air filter from a '73 fit on the carbs of a '72?

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: