Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

AN update on my GW2.3. It was burning oil from one cylinder, particularly noticeable via a blue puff of smoke on startup. GW honoured the warranty without a problem and all is fine now.

I have over 70,000 kms on this motor and it still runs strong, strong, strong.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

It has been a few years since I last offered a status - we have just passed the 10-year mark on our GoWesty 2.2L. Uses no oil between changes and gets 21-22 mpg on regular gas.

It has been said before but worth repeating that the 2.2L rebuild seems to be the ideal fit for performance and reliability.
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
It has been a few years since I last offered a status - we have just passed the 10-year mark on our GoWesty 2.2L. Uses no oil between changes and gets 21-22 mpg on regular gas.

It has been said before but worth repeating that the 2.2L rebuild seems to be the ideal fit for performance and reliability.

How many miles on your 2.2?
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
FRB - What happened to the other thread where you were commenting about this??? I appreciate that you are sticking to "the facts" from your point of view without getting slanderous.

Here is the link, but all your comments (and all other members' comments which I thought were quite constructive) have magically disappeared Exclamation : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=60

Mods - That's kinda nasty censorship Shame on you . Unless FRB is violating Forum Rules, at the very least, please transfer the new member's comments/concerns into a new thread (or direct FRB to do so himself) instead of just outright deleting it. IMHO, until this issue is resolved it should remain public (although admittedly much better in it's own dedicated thread). If FRB's and other members' comments were moved, my apologies, but please provide a link.

I'll jump in......... The linked thread is Titled "Go westy 2700cc Wasserboxer on the Horizon"
Someone jumps in with a "well I had a GoWesty 2.4 installed........" And launches into a gripe session about a warranty claim on the 2.4 being denied.

Well, does anyone see an immediate problem with the topic being a 2.7 and a gripe session ensueing about a 2.4?
Not unlike reading a post about a problem in the Vanagon forum and I were to jump in claiming what a POS my 2014 Beetle is because XYZ happened!

Add to that we got two pages of BS following the 2.4 comment that was fast turning into a Lynch Mob with torches and pitchforks going absolutely nowhere positive...... Think of the opening scenes of Shrek and the towns people.......

It was split out and removed, yes.... I did it.
You are not powerless. The removed Posts are available for Everett to read. If you believe my actions were in error or heavy handed, PM Everett, he has access to and is able to read the two pages I removed. I'm not perfect, I'm the first to admit that. I'm just trying to keep this a safe playground to let your kids play on.
Better yet, man up! contact me and question me...... Don't crucify me publicly when you don't know what actions were taken or why! Ask.... I don't bite........ Well, not yet.

Stay on topic...... Don't go attacking persons or businesses publically in the forums..... That includes myself and other forum moderators.

You have a legit beef? We have a forum to post feed back. Even there..... Bring proof of your beef, just don't go spouting that you've been wronged. Those charged can and do often get involved and a resolution is sought.

To mention you have had an issue with a 2.4 in the 2.4 thread.? Fine ........ Go to it guys, but if we get another Lynch Mob...... It will be going away.

I often send PM's stating that a post has been removed and here's why (Some who are reading this right now can verify that I do this.) .......... but so many people were involved, I just removed it.

Oh........ We also have a Rule thread..... Here's part of it.....Stay on topic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

this is definitely off topic , and another issue is that any type of sensorship other than informing someone should not be acceptable where does it end?
1990 vw automatic camper
mellow cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I don't post much, and it's rare I praise GoWesty but I should. Regardless I'll try and "cliff note" what would be a very long story. GoWesty sold a high dollar syncro westy to a guy with a 2.4 that had its cam mis-machined causing a rattle at idle. Client hated it, GoWesty wouldn't do anything about it? OK fine. So I install a Zetec motor for this gentleman and he was happy with a very smooth motor. However, I feel, a strange power output for a vanagon. Then I get a 91 syncro tin top in trade(long story) that happened to need a motor. As chance would have it, I had this 2.4 sitting on the floor. In it goes. Great power, smooth, great bottom end, great top end. I real joy of a motor. The Rattle? eh? I could careless. with the power and torque I refer to it, and its rattle, as my "diesel almost" I love it, and arguably I treat if very badly....it seems to love it. After about 10K miles on it, in the middle of a roadtrip in the dead of winter I have injector 1 crack spraying fuel all over in the motor compartment. Not good, all I can do is pinch off the fuel line to cyl 1 injector and continue on my trip. I put a 60-70 miles on it to where I could replace the injector. Yes, very bad, cyl 1 got kinda crispy inside, but did not fail. I replaced the injector and still rolled it that way. Yes it burns oil a little, but still performs great, no smoke. Another 5k on it, then, with my wife driving, late at night, I'm asleep in the back with my kids. I wake to oil warning light, buzzer, and loss of power. "honey pull over but DO NOT turn off the motor!" I didn't check the oil and put a ton of miles on it. Results? I had Cyl 3 piston rub the cylinder. Not good! I had to have the cylinder bored out ever so slightly in order to take the majority of the "belly" out of it. Then I bought some jewelers tools and removed the "mashed in" rings and clean up the piston. Yowza! I had to special order rings after measuring what they were, kind of a pain in the arse. GOWESTY might have been more helpful, but they weren't. The only thing they wanted to do was sell me a new matched set of pistons and rings*(I get it, its business, and they are a matched set= liability, but ouch $$$) In any case, I got'er back together. Still burns oil from cylinder 1 from the old Injector issue(I plan on tackling that this spring) but not terribly bad. Cyl 3 is pumping good compression numbers and seems to be all good over the last 2k miles. IN any case, no other Gowesty, or any motor, has been put through what I've put this poor bastard through. Do they build good motors? Absolutely. I still drive the balls off that pile of crap, and it still loves it. As with many, I'll always argue, with most motor builders, problems won't arise from the builder they will arise the support systems(F.I. Cooling, tune, etc) that are in disrepair or part manufacturing error prior to motor assembly. Just my opinion. Don't ask me to debate, I won't. Just sharing a story. I'll buy another GoWesty motor when I need one. Not sure when that will be? This one won't die. I could argue it's in zombie mode tho. Safe travels everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I had a GW 2.45 installed last year. I followed the recommended "break-in" procedure and to this day, its losing 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.

Per the GW website
(http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=22):

"About oil consumption:
It is normal for an engine to consume oil. Following the guidelines above will have a direct effect on how much oil the engine will consume—forever. The factory specification from VW is that up to one quart per 1000 miles is “normal.” The oil capacity of a waterboxer is 5 quarts. These engines have a “wet sump,” and as long as the oil pump pick-up does not starve for oil, oil pressure in the engine will be the same regardless of whether there is one quart of oil present or five; it makes no difference. In general, if no oil has to be added between oil changes, that is what we consider to be “acceptable.” That equates to around ½ quart per 1000 miles. That means that at 3500 miles, the engine will be no more than 2 quarts low."

Strange that the 2.2 it replaced did NOT go through oil like this engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hi Desert Clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

speaking of weak links, like failing NLA Digifant parts, anyone heard updates about the the GW engine management? BTW, other than sticky lifter, I'm still digging my 2.4![/b]
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I had a GW 2.45 installed last year. I followed the recommended "break-in" procedure and to this day, its losing 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.

Per the GW website
(http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=22):

"About oil consumption:
It is normal for an engine to consume oil. Following the guidelines above will have a direct effect on how much oil the engine will consume—forever. The factory specification from VW is that up to one quart per 1000 miles is “normal.” The oil capacity of a waterboxer is 5 quarts. These engines have a “wet sump,” and as long as the oil pump pick-up does not starve for oil, oil pressure in the engine will be the same regardless of whether there is one quart of oil present or five; it makes no difference. In general, if no oil has to be added between oil changes, that is what we consider to be “acceptable.” That equates to around ½ quart per 1000 miles. That means that at 3500 miles, the engine will be no more than 2 quarts low."

Strange that the 2.2 it replaced did NOT go through oil like this engine.

That's normal, my 2.5L is the same and runs like a champ. I wouldn't worry about 1/2 qt every 1k miles.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I would not be happy if a rebuilt engine consumed this much oil - seems like a lot to me given my original WBX doesn't use anywhere near this much. And Gowesty's idea that you can lose two quarts of oil without topping up seems strange to me - who would just watch the level progressively going down the dipstick and not do anything about it?
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I'm in process of investigating purchase of my Westy and the current owner says he has a GW 2.2 that was installed 10 years ago (only ~7500 miles) In my attempt to get more info, he called GW and they didn't have records going back that far. Owner seems to have lost them as well.

Is there any other way for me to help him ID it by photos or any other means? This is potentially a great deal and my first Westy so any help would be appreciated.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Kkinsch wrote:
I'm in process of investigating purchase of my Westy and the current owner says he has a GW 2.2 that was installed 10 years ago (only ~7500 miles) In my attempt to get more info, he called GW and they didn't have records going back that far. Owner seems to have lost them as well.

Is there any other way for me to help him ID it by photos or any other means? This is potentially a great deal and my first Westy so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a used GoWesty 2.2 which is about that old. The only outside indication I can think of would be AMC heads, which are very clearly stamped "AMC" on them. I tore the engine I bought down and was only convinced it was a GoWesty 2.2 once I saw the pistons, new cam, and new oil pump... none of which can be seen from outside.

-Rob
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

GoWesty used some sort of meltable (lead?) pieces on the engine so they could tell if a failed engine had been overheated.

I doubt they wish to reveal the location of those but perhaps someone here knows where to look. Their presence intact would suggest that it is a GW rebuild and also that it was never cooked.

There are some funny spots on the bottom of the case on mine but I do not know if that is what I am looking at - possibly not as I would think any such tell-tale would need to be closer to the heads.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Kkinsch wrote:
I'm in process of investigating purchase of my Westy ...This is potentially a great deal and my first Westy so any help would be appreciated.

I say if it seems right go for it! The westy is the King of the campground!!!

Welcome to the fold.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
GoWesty used some sort of meltable (lead?) pieces on the engine so they could tell if a failed engine had been overheated.

I doubt they wish to reveal the location of those but perhaps someone here knows where to look. Their presence intact would suggest that it is a GW rebuild and also that it was never cooked.

There are some funny spots on the bottom of the case on mine but I do not know if that is what I am looking at - possibly not as I would think any such tell-tale would need to be closer to the heads.

other builders use those too...
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. I though this might be a tough one to ID from the outside. The guy I am buying it off of seems like a very straight shooter so I think I'm going to have to take his word for it. This is a super clean 88 with a relatively unused engine for a very reasonable price.

I've been looking for close to a year and this one found me. I always kind of laughed at that concept when I read it here, but it DOES happen. This one was offered to me on a completely unrelated (flyfishing) forum based on a random comment I made in a very obscure thread.

Fingers crossed that everything checks out and it goes through
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

They are clearly seen on the underside of the heads.

I have posted pictures in the past.
kirtfitzpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

mellow cat wrote:
I don't post much, and it's rare I praise GoWesty but I should. Regardless I'll try and "cliff note" what would be a very long story. GoWesty sold a high dollar syncro westy to a guy with a 2.4 that had its cam mis-machined causing a rattle at idle. Client hated it, GoWesty wouldn't do anything about it? OK fine. So I install a Zetec motor for this gentleman and he was happy with a very smooth motor. However, I feel, a strange power output for a vanagon. Then I get a 91 syncro tin top in trade(long story) that happened to need a motor. As chance would have it, I had this 2.4 sitting on the floor. In it goes. Great power, smooth, great bottom end, great top end. I real joy of a motor. The Rattle? eh? I could careless. with the power and torque I refer to it, and its rattle, as my "diesel almost" I love it, and arguably I treat if very badly....it seems to love it. After about 10K miles on it, in the middle of a roadtrip in the dead of winter I have injector 1 crack spraying fuel all over in the motor compartment. Not good, all I can do is pinch off the fuel line to cyl 1 injector and continue on my trip. I put a 60-70 miles on it to where I could replace the injector. Yes, very bad, cyl 1 got kinda crispy inside, but did not fail. I replaced the injector and still rolled it that way. Yes it burns oil a little, but still performs great, no smoke. Another 5k on it, then, with my wife driving, late at night, I'm asleep in the back with my kids. I wake to oil warning light, buzzer, and loss of power. "honey pull over but DO NOT turn off the motor!" I didn't check the oil and put a ton of miles on it. Results? I had Cyl 3 piston rub the cylinder. Not good! I had to have the cylinder bored out ever so slightly in order to take the majority of the "belly" out of it. Then I bought some jewelers tools and removed the "mashed in" rings and clean up the piston. Yowza! I had to special order rings after measuring what they were, kind of a pain in the arse. GOWESTY might have been more helpful, but they weren't. The only thing they wanted to do was sell me a new matched set of pistons and rings*(I get it, its business, and they are a matched set= liability, but ouch $$$) In any case, I got'er back together. Still burns oil from cylinder 1 from the old Injector issue(I plan on tackling that this spring) but not terribly bad. Cyl 3 is pumping good compression numbers and seems to be all good over the last 2k miles. IN any case, no other Gowesty, or any motor, has been put through what I've put this poor bastard through. Do they build good motors? Absolutely. I still drive the balls off that pile of crap, and it still loves it. As with many, I'll always argue, with most motor builders, problems won't arise from the builder they will arise the support systems(F.I. Cooling, tune, etc) that are in disrepair or part manufacturing error prior to motor assembly. Just my opinion. Don't ask me to debate, I won't. Just sharing a story. I'll buy another GoWesty motor when I need one. Not sure when that will be? This one won't die. I could argue it's in zombie mode tho. Safe travels everyone.

What year was this engine? I'd imagine that GoWesty gets better at rebuilding engines year over year.
tech032
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Is there an updated thread to this? Sure would like to see if any of the GW 2.2/2.3l have made it past 50k yet. Also, which vintage engine (purchase date).
I have a new 2.3l from 2006. It sat a while before I had time for the process.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

tech032 wrote:
Is there an updated thread to this? Sure would like to see if any of the GW 2.2/2.3l have made it past 50k yet. Also, which vintage engine (purchase date).
I have a new 2.3l from 2006. It sat a while before I had time for the process.

Not exactly to your point, but to bump the thread...

My 2.3 was installed in 2011 and now has 17,100 miles on it (I only use the van for camping during Montana's short "summer").

It runs great, always has.

It never used a drop of oil until about the 11,000 mile mark (just out of the 4 year warranty). Then it suddenly started to burn about a 1qt/1,000 miles. GoWesty, and some folks here, have stated that this isn't a problem as long as it runs good. I'm disappointed but not to the point where it makes more sense to do anything but keep my eye on the dipstick.

I do need to check the breather system but just haven't gotten to it yet - it's been a crazy summer full of guests and out-of-town work assignments.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

tech032 wrote:
Is there an updated thread to this? Sure would like to see if any of the GW 2.2/2.3l have made it past 50k yet...

Mine has - it is a 1.9 Digijet rebuilt as a 2.2. In service since March 2006.

On a 4,600 mile trip this past June and July it got 20.43 mpg. Used 10 ounces of oil. Yeah, 10 ounces.

This was in an 84 2WD Westy, fully loaded, altitude topping out around 12,000'. Regular gas, stock tires, triple electrode plugs, timed at 40° BTDC max.

Along the way I had to deal with cruise control, shift linkage and fuel filter issues, but the engine never hiccupped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: